AR-2ax ..... Impressions Of My Newest Arrival!

Franksta

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Well...The adventures of "Speaker Man" continue! I am at serious overload with speakers (35+ pair!) But who among us could have refused a nice pair of AR-2ax's for $6? That's right $6 at my favorite junk store.

I just found them Saturday and they are already reconditioned and sitting in my living room with some other nice units...A pair of reconditioned Dynaco A-25's and a recently found pair of JBL 4311B's that I also rehabed!

Here's the thing- I think I like the AR's better than the Dynacos and I know I like them better than the JBL's! It's a matter of taste of course. I like the great bass and the smooth mid/high end response. I need to hook the Dynaco A-25's back up soon to be sure. I like the west coast punch of the JBL's but I think I have become addicted to the East coast classic sound with the tighter more accurate bass and sudued highs.

The AR-2ax's are truly impressive! I reworked the cabinets and did a Tung oil finish on them I refoamed the woofers and put new fabric on the grilles. I also buffed out the original AR emblems with very fine steel wool and they shine like the sun! This is one of the most fulfilling projects I have done in a while! The tweeters work great. I sprayed the controls good with contact cleaner when I had the woofer out.

How about some other opinions? Which of these classic units would you prefer? Considering the AR-2ax's retailed for $469.00 a pair in 1970 and the JBL's were even more. The Dynacos were definately the bargain at only about $89 each (is that right?). This is a great dilemma....too many classic speakers huh? I also have 2 pairs of Original Advents stacked that continue to be my favorite sound in the house. Although one on one the AR's or Dynaco's would compete with them. It's just the stacking that's the magic with Advents! I have included a picture of the threesome and a picture or two of the AR-2ax's. I will be glad to share any info on the refinish work the refoam or the grill material. Best! Franksta

steve gibson said:
Those AR's are beautiful. Nice job! Were did you get the fabric?

DITTO, DITTO, and DITTO! I'm in need of grill fabric for a pair of AR3's.

Franksta, I see you are 45 miles from Myrtle Beach. Which direction? - MA

Nice job on those ARs!!
I have a set with really nasty cabs. Water damaged finish, gaps on the mitered edges and rust stains on the grilles. They be my experimental set for some refinishing ideas.

BTW, how did you get these damn grilles off. I see references to staples, but I', not having any luck finding them. Mine seem like they've been very generously glued down.

Thanks!

Andyman said:
Nice job on those ARs!!
BTW, how did you get these damn grilles off. I see references to staples, but I', not having any luck finding them. Mine seem like they've been very generously glued down.

Thanks!

Going by my contemporaneous AR5's, the staples attach the grille cloth to the frame, not to the cabinet. The grilles (frames) are glued - with non-hardening glue - to the cabinets. Use a wide-blade putty knife and patience to remove them. The grille frames are delicate in a couple places.

Bob

That grille fabric came from Walmart believe it or not! It is cheap loosely weaved twill or hemp type, fairly rough looking stuff. You know the stuff with a few knobby threads here and there and a few black dots that look like impurities. It's hard to describe but you will know it when you see it. It looks like a lot of the grille fabrics used on New England speakers back then.

There were two versions of the AR-2ax. One had cloth woofer surrounds and recessed drivers. Mine is the newer version with flush mounted drivers and foam woofer surrounds. The grill was also easy to remove. It was only attached with velvro. The earlier version must be the one that is glued or stapled on. If you fill those mitre cracks with colored wood putty you will never notice them after refinishing unless they are real wide. The best finish I have obtained is by sanding with a finish sander using progressivley finer sand paper until most noticeable scratches are gone. I then used a dash of oil base stain in some tung oil and brushed or rubbed it in until the wood wouldn't absorb any more. Then just rub the excess off. The tung oil will dry to a nice hard beautiful satin finish. Linseed oil finish is pretty too but it stays sticky longer.

The AR still sounds wonderful! It is a very historical speaker! A Roy Allison design. Check out the history lesson at Classic speakers. http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/
Best! Franksta

MarkAnderson said:
Franksta, I see you are 45 miles from Myrtle Beach. Which direction? - MA

Hopefully not towards Charleston , I'd hate the competition :D .
Those are really some beauts there congrats on the scores Frank.

Dave

DAGLJAM6 said:
Hopefully not towards Charleston , I'd hate the competition :D .
Those are really some beauts there congrats on the scores Frank.

Dave

He doesn't seem interested in divulging that information, does he?

Charleston, heh? Man I love that place. A good many thrifts and such down there? Huh, huh? :naughty:

Franksta - Walmart? Really? I'll definitely have to check that out. Thanks for the tip :thmbsp: .- MA

Hi Frank ... nice pickup :) ...

I have 3 pairs of AR-2ax ... all with foam (rather than cloth) surrounds but the grills were glued on ... the first 2 cost me $20 a pair ... I spent $40 on the last pair (but that included a 1973 AR price brochure and the original speaker paper work) ...

The price of AR-2ax is listed as "$139 ea." in the brochure ... most stereo euipment was discounted in those days ... but don't know if ARs were ...

Any tips on refoaming? ... did you replace the center caps? ...

Did you ever read the PM that I sent you? ...

Chip - HP said:
I am gonna go out on a limb ... and guess it's not East :D ...

Probably not. But, then maybe Frank lives on a yacht (man, that would definitely be my cup o' tea) or in some undersea alien outpost........... :alien:

MarkAnderson said:
He doesn't seem interested in divulging that information, does he?

Charleston, heh? Man I love that place. A good many thrifts and such down there? Huh, huh? :naughty:

Franksta - Walmart? Really? I'll definitely have to check that out. Thanks for the tip :thmbsp: .- MA

I'm Northeast of the beach in Marion/Florence County. It is amazing where you can find stuff sometimes! Two of my favorite places are basically junk stores out in the country. They aren't organization's Thrift Stores Like Salvation Army or Mission stores, just "junk stores" run by individuals who go to auctiions and buy reclaimed storge merchandise or estate merchandise and then just put it out for sale.

My favorite is the place I found the AR's. He puts out merchandise that he bought earlier in the week at an old shed in the country every Sat. morning at 9:00. There is a crowd waiting to get in at 9:00 sharp. There's a rope up to keep you out until then. When 9:00 comes he drops the rope and it's everybody for themselves! Not everything has a price tag. Some of it you just grab and he tells you later what he wants for it. Secret is just grab what you want because he won't charge more than 2 or 3 $$ for much of anything! The AR's were $3 each!

Most people are there looking for mason jars and old lamps! I am the only one usually looking for electronics. I have some of the regulars there telling me when they see something I may be interested in. Some of the stuff I found there includes......KLH Model Eighteen tuner $3--Proton radio receiver $3/4?--Sansui TU-919 Tuner $3 (sold it for $729.99!)--Realistic STA-2000- receiver (75 watts per channel) $5--Onkyo Integra 2600 cassette deck $2--Sony STR-V6 $6 (a real monster!) plus much more! I have also found some non audio treasure there too. My other country store is where I found the nice JBL 4311B's for $20!

People think I am crazy whenever they try to find me and I'm always at one of those "junk stores" ....Yeah!.... Crazy like a fox! Best! Franksta

Chip - HP said:
Hi Frank ... nice pickup :) ...

I have 3 pairs of AR-2ax ... all with foam (rather than cloth) surrounds but the grills were glued on ... the first 2 cost me $20 a pair ... I spent $40 on the last pair (but that included a 1973 AR price brochure and the original speaker paper work) ...

The price of AR-2ax is listed as "$139 ea." in the brochure ... most stereo euipment was discounted in those days ... but don't know if ARs were ...

Any tips on refoaming? ... did you replace the center caps? ...

Did you ever read the PM that I sent you? ...

Yes, Hello again Chip! I got that PM. I know your family, cousins pretty well. My brother and I went to school with Ann Sch--------. and Tommy Sim----.!

I am not sure where I saw that inflated retail on the Ar-2ax's but I just saw the the 1971 brochure from Classic Speakers website and they are listed in walnut at $128. That is each of course(?) They were really quite a bargain although the AR line was considered expensive. At least to me they were back then! The Large Advent was a revelation in 1975 or so at $119! Thats why they sold so well! I didn't replace the center cap. I just used a length of wire and a battery attached to the speaker while refoaming. I kept making minute adjustments after applying the glue and pulsing the cone by touching the wire leads to the battery to make sure there was no voice coil rubbing as the glue set. This is easy as long as there are sufficient gaps in the voice coils. I don't try it with EPI's, Pinnacles, or Infinities. They have tight tolerences! I remove their caps and shim them! I found that dust caps are really cheap at MatElectronics.

I am becoming quiet proud of my New England based speaker collection! Especially the KLH part. I have 23's, 14's, 30's, Sevens(rare!), 19's and I think 32's(?). This is an addictive hobby! Too much good clean fun! Best Chip! Franksta (Frank)

franksta - Jeez Leweez! $3 ea for the AR's? I now feel like I got royally screwed on mine! Congrats! Sounds like you've found a gold mine over in the Pee Dee (with apparently, no competition). Feel free to provide addresses and detailed driving directions to these "high-end audio emporiums" :thmbsp: .- MA

Back
Top Bottom