AR-2ax repair

Actually I think my wife would slap me if I brought home speakers. There is a pair of those wharfedales not too far from me. They have a pretty interesting design.
Once I get myself recovered from the ARs my next purchase will be a TT. I've seen a few of the technics 1200s pop up here and there they seem pretty popular. I just don' t want to get another "project piece". Plus I'll have to learn about cartridges and styluses and tracking and alignment and belt vs DD and crystal locked and manual vs semi-auto vs full auto and counterweights and..... Yes I've done a little homework already. I may pay a bit extra for an already refurbished TT from a shop. There is a pretty reputable place about 45 minutes from here.

Oh, and I had no idea people will pay hundreds for records. I've found imports of Depeche Mode and the Cure for well over $100 some over $200. Unfortunately, here in small town Indiana, I cannot visit more than a couple resale shops without driving over an hour.

I better get to work, cheers mate.

I have finished my crossovers and have installed them. Not as pretty as I had envisioned. I used wire that I had on hand it is is a heavier gauge than i would have liked to use.
I also found something that almost went overlooked. The yellow wire on the mid had been rubbing on the magnet and over the years it began to short. probably caused fits for the last owner.
Anyway, here are some pics.
Crossover installed.jpg wiring tied down.jpg why damaged.jpg damaged wire.jpg

I commented over on CSP, and I'll say the same here, nice work. Keep going and hopefully you'll be listening to them by the weekend!
Glenn

Update:

My drivers are installed. Here is a little info on my gasket technique.:

I used 3/4" wide 1/2" thick weather stripping. It's a dense rubber foam, it's sticky on one side and should make a good seal. I laid the stripping around the recessed area where the speaker mounts.

I took a 1/4" brass hose barb and sharpened the end then put a pipe cap on the threaded end of the fitting. I then located the bolt holes using an exacto knife. I then took my little tool and gave it a couple taps with a small hammer then twisted it while pushing down. If the barb is sharp enough you will pull the gasket material out with the barb leaving a nice clean hole. If not you may have to dig a bit with a knife or razor.

20180114_140004_resized.jpg 20180114_140152_resized.jpg 20180114_140206_resized.jpg 20180114_151638_resized.jpg

I've listened to them at lower volumes. Heard a buzzing in one. The foam ring near the center of the cone was dry rotted. It pretty much fell apart when I picked at it. The other woofer isn't as bad. It's dry but not falling apart, a small 1/2" piece fell off.

This happened about bedtime so I didn't get to do a full out test, but one on one against my current Onkyo's, they sound noticeably better.
If I have time tonight, I'll do video comparisons and post them.

Last edited:
Update:

My speakers are installed. Here is a little info on my gasket technique.:

I used 3/4" wide 1/2" thick weather stripping. It's a dense rubber foam, it's sticky on one side and should make a good seal. I laid the stripping around the recessed area where the speaker mounts.

I took a 1/4" brass hose barb and sharpened the end then put a pipe cap on the threaded end of the fitting. I then located the bolt holes using an exacto knife. I then took my little tool and gave it a couple taps with a small hammer then twisted it while pushing down. If the barb is sharp enough you will pull the gasket material out with the barb leaving a nice clean hole. If not you may have to dig a bit with a knife or razor.

View attachment 1089656 View attachment 1089657 View attachment 1089658 View attachment 1089659

I've listened to them at lower volumes. Heard a buzzing in one. The foam ring near the center of the cone was dry rotted. It pretty much fell apart when I picked at it. The other woofer isn't as bad. It's dry but not falling apart, a small 1/2" piece fell off.

This happened about bedtime so I didn't get to do a full out test, but one on one against my current Onkyo's, they sound noticeably better.
If I have time tonight, I'll do video comparisons and post them.
Glad to see you're finally getting to hear them. What kind of buzzing, electronic of physical from a driver?

Got to here what my speakers can do last night. I am pretty darn impressed. I really need some good recordings of some classic rock or jazz and a better space to truly appreciate them, but they are much better than my Onkyo's in all categories.

Imaging is impossible in my current listening space (open concept living area) but the stage did seem to open up some. There is more depth but width is still an issue. Listening to a duet, it almost separated the two singers to be side by side.

We are going to be switching our office and spare bedroom so that the office is in the larger room and it will become a media room as well. I should have much better acoustics there.

The final cost of these speakers will be over twice what I paid for my current 5.1 surround system. I took pride in putting together a pretty great system cheap. Now that I am in the home stretch of this restoration, I've decided that I'm pretty darn proud of what I've accomplished.

I'll continue to post pictures of my cabinet restoration, but at this point I'm going to take Kent's advice and stick with one person to advise me with it. Guess what, Glenn, you're the lucky winner
default_tongue.png
. Actually, I have a real good idea of where I'm going with it so I should be pretty low maintenance at this point.

Got to here what my speakers can do last night. I am pretty darn impressed. I really need some good recordings of some classic rock or jazz and a better space to truly appreciate them, but they are much better than my Onkyo's in all categories.

Imaging is impossible in my current listening space (open concept living area) but the stage did seem to open up some. There is more depth but width is still an issue. Listening to a duet, it almost separated the two singers to be side by side.

We are going to be switching our office and spare bedroom so that the office is in the larger room and it will become a media room as well. I should have much better acoustics there.

The final cost of these speakers will be over twice what I paid for my current 5.1 surround system. I took pride in putting together a pretty great system cheap. Now that I am in the home stretch of this restoration, I've decided that I'm pretty darn proud of what I've accomplished.

I'll continue to post pictures of my cabinet restoration, but at this point I'm going to take Kent's advice and stick with one person to advise me with it. Guess what, Glenn, you're the lucky winner
default_tongue.png
. Actually, I have a real good idea of where I'm going with it so I should be pretty low maintenance at this point.
Not a problem. Let me know if you need any help.

Just read through some of this, and good for you on sticking with the project and sorting through some of the more cynical comments. To be honest, had I started on page 1, I would have been one of those cynics. There are a TON of people who float on to AK looking to make a quick buck on old gear because of what they see on TV or eBay. It's nice to see that you did what some suggested and took your time to do this project right. Sounds like you were rewarded in the end.

I'm currently in the middle of an AR2a restoration. I'm almost guaranteed to not profit from the work, due to the amount of time needed to get them "right", but I'll enjoy bringing these things back to life after years of neglect. And in the end I will find a buyer and he/she will be very happy with the speakers for another decade or two.

Best of luck and post some pics when you get settled.

(Here are some AR2ax I redid for an AK member a few months ago.)

37414505240_12d0775fb8_b.jpg

36961962884_43d80cfa1d_b.jpg

Just read through some of this, and good for you on sticking with the project and sorting through some of the more cynical comments. To be honest, had I started on page 1, I would have been one of those cynics. There are a TON of people who float on to AK looking to make a quick buck on old gear because of what they see on TV or eBay. It's nice to see that you did what some suggested and took your time to do this project right. Sounds like you were rewarded in the end.

I'm currently in the middle of an AR2a restoration. I'm almost guaranteed to not profit from the work, due to the amount of time needed to get them "right", but I'll enjoy bringing these things back to life after years of neglect. And in the end I will find a buyer and he/she will be very happy with the speakers for another decade or two.

Excellent work as always Brian!

Found a pair of 2ax and 3's for $12/pair each...at Goodwill.....all early ones cloth rolled....,all pots need cleaning.They are still in storage...along with 50 more project speakers!

Thank you.
I now understand the cynicism. I have learned sooo much over the last month. I really had no idea what I was getting into. My thread over on classic speaker pages actually got uglier than this, mostly because of my frustration and misunderstanding.

I am definitely enjoying these speakers and while challenging, it really has been rewarding.

I picked up grill cloth today, I opted for Charles Craft Irish linen as opposed to lambswool because of cost. By the end of the day the grills will be on and I can at least keep them in the living room until it warms up enough to work on cabinets in the garage.

I'll also take some good before picks of the damaged areas for comparison later to see if I have skills :D

You did a very nice job on those speakers. The grille cloth looks great, and the cab repairs can wait for better weather.

You did a very nice job on those speakers.

Honestly, if I had to pick one person who was key in helping me in getting to this point, I couldn't, because I would have to say it was you and Glenn. There have been many great people giving me great help but you two got me over that first initial hump and kept me grounded throughout. (Sorry if that sounds a bit sappy).

Back
Top Bottom