AR-3a : How am I lookin?

I am hoping to get the recap finished this weekend.

A question about the woofer voice coil leads. How delicate are they?

Whoever opened up the speaker last time was obviously concerned about them or lazy. They snipped off the original +/- wires at the connector. Rather than desoldering the wrapped bit of wire and reconnecting, they just sort of spot welded/soldered the wires on with no attempt to "mechanically" connect the wire. The connection seemed to be fine, but I was kind of surprised they didn't try to wrap the wire around the connector somehow.

Thx again for all the advice!
If they snipped the originals, and just resoldered the wires leaving the original snipped wires in place, they were either lazy, or afraid of doing some kind of damage. The VC wires from the cone are robust enough. Use a solder sucker to remove the original solder when melted so you start with clean tabs for reconnection and soldering the VC and speaker wires. I don't wrap the speaker wires, but hook them through the little tab holes. Mechanical enough for a solid connection.
Glenn

Thanks for confirming.

I got the pots cleaned up and stuffed with grease. They all tested from 0 to 15-16 ohms.

Thanks for confirming.

I got the pots cleaned up and stuffed with grease. They all tested from 0 to 15-16 ohms.[/QUOTE
Good news. You never know with the pots after cleaning how well they will function.

I got back to these tonight and hit a stumbling block. The pots have a little tab that fits into a slot/dimple in the back board.

The high range pot fits in the slot with the orientation shown in the "Restoring an AR-3a" pdf. The mid doesn't fit in the slot. It's 180 degrees from where I found them and the same from the pdf.

If I orient the pot so that it fits in the slot, then the wire from the Inductor is too short.

I'm thinking I just need to create another slot so that the pot is oriented the way I found it and all the wires work.

Anyone run into this? Seems strange that the factory would put the slot in the wrong spot. But who knows.

Since all the pictures I found online had the same orientation, I just cranked it down a bit. Thanks!

Got the 1st one back together enough to test. Everything is working well and seems brighter after the recap and cleaning the pots. Now I need to finish the second one. Restuff and new gaskets.

Soon we will have the east coast sound!

Listening to a very sweet sound at the moment. Buckled down and got them done over the past 2 nights.

I can't give enough thanks to Glenn and everyone else that chimed in to walk me through the process. Much appreciated!

I'll have to move on to cleaning up a few issues on the cabinets, but for now I'm going to enjoy.

Listening to a very sweet sound at the moment. Buckled down and got them done over the past 2 nights.

I can't give enough thanks to Glenn and everyone else that chimed in to walk me through the process. Much appreciated!

I'll have to move on to cleaning up a few issues on the cabinets, but for now I'm going to enjoy.
Congrats! Aren't they great?
What's your listening space like?

Congrats! Aren't they great?
What's your listening space like?

Amazing amount of bass.

Right now they are in my Great Room (50'x18'x10'ish). Rugs over tile. They are in the "family room" section with couches, chairs, rug, etc.

Amazing amount of bass.

Right now they are in my Great Room (50'x18'x10'ish). Rugs over tile. They are in the "family room" section with couches, chairs, rug, etc.
Well, we need a complementary pic please! Sounds like an awesome space.
Mine are in our family room. 18 X 22 12 foot vaulted ceilings. The 3's are about 16 feet apart. Great sound stage.

They are kind of dwarfed by the Klipsch, but I like the look.

Now I need to work on my layout. lol

Attachments

• 20170407_220535897_iOS.jpg
    20170407_220535897_iOS.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 38
May I jump in and commend you on a great thread and refurbish on the AR-3a's!
Mighty fine set up you have there. Can we come by to experience?!

Thanks, C5! Come on down.

I forgot to post a picture of the innards. I used the existing screw holes to affix cable tie mounts for the 150 and 50 mfd caps.

Attachments

• 20170405_205331014_iOS.jpg
    20170405_205331014_iOS.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20170405_205321785_iOS.jpg
    20170405_205321785_iOS.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 33
Nice space! I didn't realize you have the stands as well.
I'm glad everything worked out and they are sounding fabulous!
Cheers, Glenn

Nice space! I didn't realize you have the stands as well.
I'm glad everything worked out and they are sounding fabulous!
Cheers, Glenn

Thx

Glenn - I saw a post of yours awhile back that I can't find again. You recommended a source for the grill fabric. Do you still have that? If I remember right, they were Canada.

I think the left channel needs a replacement - some spotting. I might try some oxyclean on it and see how that works.

Thx

Glenn - I saw a post of yours awhile back that I can't find again. You recommended a source for the grill fabric. Do you still have that? If I remember right, they were Canada.

I think the left channel needs a replacement - some spotting. I might try some oxyclean on it and see how that works.
The supplier is Q Components in Canada. I just posted the info in the other AR3 thread currently being discussed. I am very happy with the results.

The supplier is Q Components in Canada. I just posted the info in the other AR3 thread currently being discussed. I am very happy with the results.

That's it, but wow, shipping from Canada is crazy. $40+ for a yard of cloth.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom