AR-3a : How am I lookin?

Oh I bet it does. I've used several lower power(including a Fisher 500B) amps to drive my AR 3's(much to the chagrin some on the Classic Speaker forums :D and as long as I'm not looking for Sabbath at stadium levels(those days are long gone anyway) then it works out quite nicely. It's actually listening at lower levels that bigger watt amps seem to work better. Of course, my listening space is quite a bit smaller then yours.

I'm about to try out a pair of Dynaco MK III's on them soon. Looking forward to that classic combo.

Hey, I'm cheap. But since I need to do these and a pair of AR-6s, I chringed and ordered
Cool. Once you get it, let me know if you have any questions. Keep in mind it's a lot stiffer than cloth, so give yourself plenty of extra for when folding to the back and stapling. Once all fastened, then trim off the excess.

Cool. Once you get it, let me know if you have any questions. Keep in mind it's a lot stiffer than cloth, so give yourself plenty of extra for when folding to the back and stapling. Once all fastened, then trim off the excess.

I watched a video where the Simply Speaker guy said leave 3-4" all the way round. Sound like enough?

Any tips on keeping the pattern square?

Will a big hand spring stapler get through the board? Or get a pneumatic?

Thanks again

I watched a video where the Simply Speaker guy said leave 3-4" all the way round. Sound like enough?

Any tips on keeping the pattern square?

Will a big hand spring stapler get through the board? Or get a pneumatic?

Thanks again
Hand spring stapler should be fine. I used 1/4 inch staples.
Nothing much to keeping the weave square except to work your way around the frame as equally as possible. The fabric will stretch a little so as you staple on one side, pull a but and staple the opposite side and so on.

First, the resto looks great!

I saw a pair of these, in so-so shape, for 300 bucks at a real craphole of a consignment shop. I just couldn't pony up 3 big ones for a speaker that looks to be such a restoration headache. Bad pots, few replacement parts, seemed a real PITA. The lady running the place let me hook them up, I had one mid not working, and the usual scratchy pots. Just couldn't do it.

Now I wonder if I was being foolish?

Ah well. Maybe one day I'll get to hear a set of these legendary speakers.

First, the resto looks great!

I saw a pair of these, in so-so shape, for 300 bucks at a real craphole of a consignment shop. I just couldn't pony up 3 big ones for a speaker that looks to be such a restoration headache. Bad pots, few replacement parts, seemed a real PITA. The lady running the place let me hook them up, I had one mid not working, and the usual scratchy pots. Just couldn't do it.

Now I wonder if I was being foolish?

Ah well. Maybe one day I'll get to hear a set of these legendary speakers.
I hope you do get to hear a properly restored set of 3's, then you will want a pair, regardless of their condition, because unless they are total basket cases, they are worth it! As a side note, look online and see what they are selling for.

Hand spring stapler should be fine. I used 1/4 inch staples.
Nothing much to keeping the weave square except to work your way around the frame as equally as possible. The fabric will stretch a little so as you staple on one side, pull a but and staple the opposite side and so on.
:beerchug:

Nice Find.

I have a set of these. I love them. You will find they will really come alive with a strong amp.

The more powerful amps really bring out the peaks in music, and that woofer will surprise you.

Nice work. I'm debating sending my tweeters out; I don't think they are deficient in volume, but it's hard to know for sure . I touched them, and the movement seems fine (a LIGHT touch).

Nice work. I'm debating sending my tweeters out; I don't think they are deficient in volume, but it's hard to know for sure . I touched them, and the movement seems fine (a LIGHT touch).

Thanks

Do you know what kind of work they do to the tweeters?

If I bought a pair of AR-3's and liked the sound enough to work at making them NOT look like the DQ-10's ugly little brother assembled with a blow torch and hot glue shot from a fire extinguisher, would that incur the wrath of the AR fan club? Is there some sort of nostalgia associated with that look? Would I be ruining the mood?

Seems your humor got lost on most folks, but this is a funny post! As much as I love the old AR, Advent and KLH speakers, prettiness was not of any apparent concern to the designers. For some perverted reason, that sloppiness appeals to me.

GeeDeeEmm

Seems your humor got lost on most folks, but this is a funny post! As much as I love the old AR, Advent and KLH speakers, prettiness was not of any apparent concern to the designers. For some perverted reason, that sloppiness appeals to me.

GeeDeeEmm
An actual answer to the question.
Is it like Brad Pitt with that pathetic beard he continues to not shave off, because you know, underneath the ugly, there's Brad Pitt?

I'll live vicariously through someone else' wallet. The whole AR-3 collecting thing is a little rich for my blood.
I paid 19.99 & 50.00 for mine, found in S.A. & Goodwill. Keep looking Will, some will eventually show up that won't empty your bank account!

I paid 19.99 & 50.00 for mine, found in S.A. & Goodwill. Keep looking Will, some will eventually show up that won't empty your bank account!
I researched the prices of parts back at the beginning of this thread. Them babies aint cheap.

Do you know what kind of work they do to the tweeters?
Yes I been talking to Cris1this1 at CSP's and basically its returned to a stock form after 50 plus years of serviceYou can find his service in the forsale section at csp

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom