AR 4x stuffing

abpeep

OU Sucks!!
Subscriber
I am working on some AR 4x that my brother gave me after picking them up at a garage sale for 10 bucks. I got on this forum looking for some info on these and came across a couple of posts that mentioned the stuffing in these could be asbestos. I am skeptical (looks like yellow fiberglass to me) but thought someone may have some more info on this. Rather not put it back in there if this is the case.

That behind me - I have one going back together and the other still to go. Cloth surrounds are good - one tweet had to be reattached to the baseplate about half-way around. Cleaned with Murphy's oil soap, touched up with some stain, painted the baffle and they look much better than when he brought them to me. Still some prety serious dings in the cabinets though. Had it hooked up to be sure I installed the pot correctly - different speaker on the other channel - and can't wait to hear the pair. My impression from the one speaker alone is that these should really sound sweet.

Hope someone can clear up this asbestos idea.

Hey, Peep, the material in mine looks to be yellow fibreglass as well. I am not worrying about it.

I have never heard of asbestos being used for stuffing speakers, and I would be surprised if AR would use such a thing. Both Ed Vilchur and Henry Kloss were pretty socially conscious guys and I would be astonished if they would use something that was known even at the time to be at least somewhat hazardous.
I suppose you could argue that fiberglass has its dangers also, and certainly it itches, so use gloves and a mask.

Thanks for all your posts

This is one of my first attempts to rebuild some speakers. I figure that if any of the manufacturers whose vintage speakers are hot for rebuilding these days had used asbestos, it would be fairly common knowledge.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom