AR-9s / Retro

gyusher

-don't go round hungry-
WOW!!! Ok Greg tell us about your AR score on eBay. . . . . .In the description they looked great. . . . .Talk bub. . .

MINE ALL MINE!!! :D :yippy: :banana: :rockon:

Check em out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3055402532&category=14993&rd=1

135 lbs each! I'll be taking the back seat out of the wife's minivan and picking them up on Saturday. Looks like one or two of the woofs need re-foaming, but that's nothing new. I'M PUMPED!

By the way, there is another pair of the monsters for sale on eBay right now in Milwaukee and he said he'd be in Minneapolis on the 5th of December. Check these out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3057133455&category=50597&rd=1

Retro

Last edited:
Very very very nice. Don't herniate anything moving them around the house.
This deserves another one of these:
:yes:
And one of these:
:yippy:

We all look forward to your review of their sound.

I finally got to really listen to my 9's today.I bought a Adcom gfa-555 from ebay and a Nikko Beta 20 locally and have it all set up and all I can say is WOW.Even at very low volume these 9's are just so clear.They kick in the bass just right and the seperation is amazing.I know there are some who do not like the Adcom GFA-555 and I was sort of hesitant of buying it but am glad I did.It is a very warm sounding Amp.one of the extra's I got out of all this was the guy I bought the Nikko from has an all Mckintosh Setup of vintage 70's stuff and his Amp is vintage tube from the 60's.His speakers were Klipsch la scalla's.Totatally Awesome.He gave a bunch of suggestions for the future of where I am trying to go with my system and most was what everyone has suggested already but it was a experence.Thanks all especially gyusher for taking my hand and leading the blind down the road.As we use to say in the 70's.I am a HAPPY CAMPER.

RETRO

Hey Greg. . .I might buy these guys if you can pick them up on the 5th of Dec when he is going to be there. You can play with them untill the Holidays when I could drive up there. . I will be in your area on buisness . . .I could rent a Van or truck and bring them back that way. . .Next time I go to central WI I will fly into Mineapolis/St.Paul rent a car then drive back to Ohio. . . . . . .Im pumped now. . .I intend to refinish my L-112s as a winter project anyway. . .Boy my 9x9 room will be rocking . . .I know my Forte' 250wpc amp will love em. . .Its stable in 2 ohm loads. . . .I will put my bidding hat on. . . .

Hey Guy,
Sure, no problem. Maybe I'll try all 4 out as a front and rear channel combo for my surround. ;) Or maybe I'll just A/B all 4 with my Pioneer SX-1980. :D Or, I could A/B all 4 with the set-up I'm hooking my AR-9's up to, my Pioneer Elite M-91 Amp and C-91 Control Amp. By the way, that M-91 will kick out 500 watts per channel into the 4 ohm AR-9's. WOW! :cool:

Retro

HEY!

Hey You break em you buy em. . .LOL. . . .I doubt you would break them. . .Might blow out all your windows. . .But thats another matter. . .Hell your whole dam house might fall down on em. . .Then you would still have to buy em. . . .

Retro

What do you have the db switches set at on your 9's for the tweeter,upper and lower mid ?

i use a -3 db on the upper mid to take a little brightness out of it.I guess this is all due to personal taste and what you are powering them with.I do not know but have heard with every power amp you would get a different tone .I think the Adcom 555 is just a tad bright on the upper mid..thus the adjustment.Do you have everthing on your pre set flat ?I have the treble set to 0 and the bass to 2.

I am using a Pioneer SX-1980 receiver with the loudness switch turned off and both the treble and the bass sitting at 4 with the tone control on. I like those settings, but will toy around with it to see if there is something else I like. The 1980 is not the receiver that the AR-9's will end up with. When I have everything set up, my Pioneer Elite M-91 and C-91 will be powering and controlling those monsters. Hopefully, within the next couple of weeks I can make that happen.

Retro

I know the sx-1980 is a lot of receiver.I will end up running the 9's through either a Denon avr or Pioneer or Hk and use the preout to the adcom.With the Nikko Beta 20 I do have the bass and treble control but would like a little more options...

Back
Top Bottom