AR Turntable Gallery Pic of the Week

Yikes!!! :yikes: How many speeds does thing have. This thing looks like one can make berry pancakes on, LOL What's that big black knob in the middle of the platter used for.:D

not sure as I've never used one SX1080P, I assume it holds your vinyl tightly to the platter.

The speeds are 33 and 45. Changeover is manual.

The platter is acrylic.

The "black knob" is a clamp. I never saw the use of a clamp myself until I owned my first Music Hall MMF-5...the acrylic platters are slippery, and a felt mat on top makes it worse. The clamp holds the lp tight to the platter.

When you think about a stylus "reading" info finer than a human hair, any unwanted movement will cause distortion.

Dave

That is just plain rubish! Distortion is caused by other factors in the audio chain link.

ddarch said:
The speeds are 33 and 45. Changeover is manual.

<snip>

When you think about a stylus "reading" info finer than a human hair, any unwanted movement will cause distortion.

Dave

Dave

Ignore 1080. We all do...

By the way. Very nice AR there !

SX1080Pioneer said:
That is just plain rubish! Distortion is caused by other factors in the audio chain link.

So you're saying it was foolish for me to upgrade from the "Close-n-Play" I got in grade school? Damn, why am I always the last to learn these things?! :worried:

Clamps have been around since the 70's. One of the benefits of a good clamp is to help flatten out a warped pressing and reduce wild woofer excursion from the warps.

CELT said:
Clamps have been around since the 70's. One of the benefits of a good clamp is to help flatten out a warped pressing and reduce wild woofer excursion from the warps.
Not to hijack, but does the table have to be designed for a clamp in the first place? Or can one use a clamp on any table so long as the platter can handle the extra weight without bottoming out the damping support (like springs or the such if there are any)?

Just trying to learn.
- JP

Charivari said:
Not to hijack, but does the table have to be designed for a clamp in the first place? Or can one use a clamp on any table so long as the platter can handle the extra weight without bottoming out the damping support (like springs or the such if there are any)?

Just trying to learn.
- JP

Not sure, but I think the main issue is having enough spindle to grip. And yes, a clamp would help a warped record. Some might do better to listen before speaking. :scratch2:

Someone has a sig, goes something like "all those thought ratteling around in your head have a habit of falling out of the hole in the lower portion of your face" Or in some cases, the fingertips... :naughty:

:D

I was a skeptic, until I bought one of these...

clamp/puck

The bottom of this little jewel has a spindle sized hole with an interior o-ring to take out any slack (1/4 inch spindle height is ample), as well as another o-ring circumscribing the perimeter of the bottom to provide friction to the label area. Worth every penny, and then some. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom