AR XA custom spring “perch” replacements (With Pics)!

Big Bill

Summertime Rolls.....
Hello gang, I recently replaced my deformed rubber AR XA spring perches with a custom replacement set from AK member “marcmorin”. The new perches work as a one piece design to replace the grommet and nut (as the replacement ones have a threaded center shaft). These are a real improvement over the rubber ones as they work to keep the springs in the vertical plane and prevent them from going into the horizontal plane when the stylus experiences sudden transients. I honestly didn’t think there was much more I could sonically “wrest” from this AR given all the mods I’d performed on it, until I ran across these rigid perches. :yes: Below are some pics of them installed on my AR XA:

Bill.

Attachments

• Perch 1 IMG_5559.jpg
    Perch 1 IMG_5559.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Perch 3 IMG_5561.jpg
    Perch 3 IMG_5561.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 176
  • Perch 4 IMG_5562.jpg
    Perch 4 IMG_5562.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Perch 5 IMG_5567.jpg
    Perch 5 IMG_5567.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 135
Hello gang, I recently replaced my deformed rubber AR XA spring perches with a custom replacement set from AK member “marcmorin”. The new perches work as a one piece design to replace the grommet and nut (as the replacement ones have a threaded center shaft). These are a real improvement over the rubber ones as they work to keep the springs in the vertical plane and prevent them from going into the horizontal plane when the stylus experiences sudden transients. I honestly didn’t think there was much more I could sonically “wrest” from this AR given all the mods I’d performed on it, until I ran across these rigid perches. :yes: Below are some pics of them installed on my AR XA:

Bill.

Are they available from “marcmorin” ?

I would like to get some for my AR XA up grade.:music:

Seeing how I have a similar example sitting at first chair here, I'll take your word for it, cool...

Bill.

A little history about the perch. The stock AR grommet's center hole is larger than the suspension stud. Nothing prevents it from going off-center. Being off-center causes the spring itself to have different load rates applied to it. The different load rates causes the spring to react to mechanical and acoustic feedback in a non-vertical manner. Multiply that by the three springs all reacting differently and minute amounts of lateral and or angular movement occur in the subplatter. Big deal? Yes, because the motor is a fixed distance. The small amounts of movement changes belt tension and pitch during play. That of course is timing changes. The original grommets sag as well further throwing off the springs vertical position. The perches cannot off-center themselves to the studs, nor will they sag.

Big Bill,

Thanks for the heads up on the perches!!!

Two soon to be rejuvenating AR XAs thank you and marcmorin too!!!!:music: :D

I'll have to keep a link to this. I just opened a thread on my recently acquired XA, which sounds great so far. When it was stored everything was put away except the tone arm (not a good move unfortunately). He even removed the belt, which when installed felt taught, to my surprise, so the belt will be good for a little while, though I'm sure it too will be in need of replacement in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom