AR2ax grill removal

dobyman

Turntable Addict
I just picked up a mint, one owner pair of AR2ax's, and they need foam. Are the grills glued in place? What's the best way to remove them
?IMG_4868.jpg IMG_4869.jpg IMG_4870.JPG

The cloth is glued to a fiberboard or masonite frame, which in turn is glued to the cabinet. If they are earlier models, there may be stables into the cabinet thru the cloth and frame. But if they are an early version, I would expect them to have cloth surrounds, rather than foam.

Because I deal with this kind of thing often, I bent the last 3/4 inch of a putty knife almost 90 degrees and use it to work my way around the edges of the grill frame to separate it. Occasionally, I break the frame...easy enough to make new ones, but then of course you also have to get new grill cloth.

As for the staples....if you are careful, and somewhat lucky, you can pull them out without damaging the cloth. If stapled, there will be a lot of them!

I would use velcro tabs to re-install the grills.

The cloth is glued to a fiberboard or masonite frame, which in turn is glued to the cabinet. If they are earlier models, there may be stables into the cabinet thru the cloth and frame. But if they are an early version, I would expect them to have cloth surrounds, rather than foam.

Because I deal with this kind of thing often, I bent the last 3/4 inch of a putty knife almost 90 degrees and use it to work my way around the edges of the grill frame to separate it. Occasionally, I break the frame...easy enough to make new ones, but then of course you also have to get new grill cloth.

As for the staples....if you are careful, and somewhat lucky, you can pull them out without damaging the cloth. If stapled, there will be a lot of them!

I would use velcro tabs to re-install the grills.
These must be later models. I used a bright flashlight to see through the grills and they have foam surrounds that are pretty cracked. I was thinking maybe heat the edges of the grills up with a blow dryer to loosen the glue and pry slowly???

Yes, heat can definitely help. I should have mentioned it. Those grills are in beautiful condition...good luck with removing them safely.

Classicspeakerpages.net has a restore manual(free) for the AR3a which has some really great advice for restoring the classic AR speakers

That is a beautiful pair - Like the lighter grill cloth color. Mine are a dark brown-is color. My grills popped off using care and a wide drywall knife. @dobyman mind if I ask what you gave for those?

Thanks! I was going to use them with the Eight Deluxe in the living room, but I find I like the Heresy's in there better. They are just sitting in the basement. :(

Those are exceptional.Do you plan to re-cap? How about cleaning the controls on the back, they generally always need work.
Be careful around those thin tweeter wires,a real bitch to repair if you break one,ask how I know.You deffinately scored on those.

I bought a very nice pair for $75 a couple years ago at a vintage equipment dealer. He told me that the parts were unobtainable. After asking around on AK, I found out how to fix them. I had to replace the spiders and the foam surrounds. While I was at it I also replaced the very stained grille cloth. They are beautiful and wonderful sounding

Back
Top Bottom