AR3a HELP!!

No ID on magnets, looks like possible recone! There is a number on the cone, hard to photograph through the screen.
Would explain the long leads and oversized dust caps?

Attachments

• 20171013_085558.jpg
    20171013_085558.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20171013_090027.jpg
    20171013_090027.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 33
20171013_103137.jpg I found this link, this is what they appear to be...

http://acousticresearchspeakers.net...-inch-4-acoussusp-woofer-arpn-200003-0-t-060/

So it is definitely AR, and may have been reconed, because I can see extra leads on the cone behind screens, but phone wont get the pic, I'll have to dig out the SLR

WHEW not leads but just a gold colored piece of thread!!

Just checked again, not thread but glue, probably left over from refoam

Last edited:
View attachment 1023665 I found this link, this is what they appear to be...

http://acousticresearchspeakers.net...-inch-4-acoussusp-woofer-arpn-200003-0-t-060/

So it is definitely AR, and may have been reconed, because I can see extra leads on the cone behind screens, but phone wont get the pic, I'll have to dig out the SLR

WHEW not leads but just a gold colored piece of thread!!

Just checked again, not thread but glue, probably left over from refoam
Very similar to yours minus the indents on the magnet sides.
Bottom line, they sound great, that's what matters. If it's important to you, you can eventually buy original 3a woofers off fleabay.

Very similar to yours minus the indents on the magnet sides.
Bottom line, they sound great, that's what matters. If it's important to you, you can eventually buy original 3a woofers off fleabay.

I'm not 100% sure they are not original..
So hard to tell

AR made stands specifically for the 3as. I think they are about 11 inches tall.
I tried my 3's in stands, and much prefer them on the floor.
Check out the video thread, I have a couple videos with the 3's in action.
Glenn

Glenn
My 3’s are on 12”ish stands, and I’m happy with them that way.

Glenn

I did see the videos, great job on those speakers! Do you still have both pairs? which do you like better?

I did see the videos, great job on those speakers! Do you still have both pairs? which do you like better?
Thanks, and I have both pairs. My first pair need the mids rebuilt by Roy C.. Also one of the tweeters is out which I'm sure is the pot. I have a few other things using my audio slush funds, but they will be done. So at this point, the 2nd pair are far superior.

Thanks, and I have both pairs. My first pair need the mids rebuilt by Roy C.. Also one of the tweeters is out which I'm sure is the pot. I have a few other things using my audio slush funds, but they will be done. So at this point, the 2nd pair are far superior.

Do you have 3"s and 3a's?

Do these AR's belong on stands? if so how high , what angle, etc..
AR3’s on 10” stands, with the front of the speaker 12” high to fire the mids and tweeters slightly over my head:

70E0E349-9023-419C-B7BD-C71A4D0FDAA7.jpeg

I’d gladly trade the 15khz-20khz AR’s roll off for the 20Hz-50hz they provide. Not too picky about placement, either.

Back
Top Bottom