AR3a HELP!!

image-20171015_143711.jpg JVC 1010 series components, Diana krall and AR3a's, all i can say is you gotta hear it for yourself!
Such fullness and detail!!

View attachment 1025377 JVC 1010 series components, Diana krall and AR3a's, all i can say is you gotta hear it for yourself!
Such fullness and detail!!
Gotta love JVC and AR's! Excellent system you have there! and I know what you mean!
My 3's are hooked up to my A-X9!

I just noticed that your grills are upside down, the triangle corners should be on the bottom and the badge screws into the lower right side.

Gotta love JVC and AR's! Excellent system you have there! and I know what you mean!
My 3's are hooked up to my A-X9!

I just noticed that your grills are upside down, the triangle corners should be on the bottom and the badge screws into the lower right side.

Thanks, this system sounds fantastic!
Thanks for the grill tip too, the other one was actually on right, lol I will need to fix the grills, they have a few breaks in the frames, any tips?

I go this Thursday, to pick up these AR58s speakers. While not 3's or 3a's, I'm sure they'll be fine for me. Plus, they don't sell for what 3's and 3a's are currently bringing! Now, I just have to figure out how Glen makes those nice trim rings for the woofers??? :dunno::idea:

00N0N_gPvtgXLx8Wl_1200x900.jpg

Thanks, this system sounds fantastic!
Thanks for the grill tip too, the other one was actually on right, lol I will need to fix the grills, they have a few breaks in the frames, any tips?
Breaks in the grills are common.
here's a couple ways to fix it.
1-Use A bit of epoxy and back it with a pop cycle stick.
2-The same with a couple pieces of wire about 1/16 diameter.

I go this Thursday, to pick up these AR58s speakers. While not 3's or 3a's, I'm sure they'll be fine for me. Plus, they don't sell for what 3's and 3a's are currently bringing! Now, I just have to figure out how Glen makes those nice trim rings for the woofers??? :dunno::idea:

00N0N_gPvtgXLx8Wl_1200x900.jpg
Those look sweet!
AKer michiganpat made them for me. Look to be a medium dense foam.
He did a great job cutting them out.

Those look sweet!
AKer michiganpat made them for me. Look to be a medium dense foam.
He did a great job cutting them out.

Thanks Glen,

I wasn't sure if it was felt or foam. So, that helps narrow it down. I may just paint the frame edge black for now, or buy the pre-cut cardboard inserts. But, the truncated frame edge, makes it hard to find something that works, that isn't custom made.

Thanks Glen,

I wasn't sure if it was felt or foam. So, that helps narrow it down. I may just paint the frame edge black for now, or buy the pre-cut cardboard inserts. But, the truncated frame edge, makes it hard to find something that works, that isn't custom made.
Contact Pat, see if he can make you a set.

Thanks for the tip. While I'll help anyone do anything, I hate to ask for help. It goes against my nature! I'm weird, I guess...! :confused::p
I know what you mean, but sometimes there's things that I know someone will do way better than I could do.
Shoot Pat a conversation, see what he says.

I go this Thursday, to pick up these AR58s speakers.
Getting a little off-topic, but there are some who think the drivers in the AR-58s (at least the tweet and mid) are superior to those found in the various iterations of the 3-series, and the only rap against the 58s is that it lacks the important variable tone controls.

Getting a little off-topic, but there are some who think the drivers in the AR-58s (at least the tweet and mid) are superior to those found in the various iterations of the 3-series, and the only rap against the 58s is that it lacks the important variable tone controls.

I've thought about that, and thought about replacing the 58 crossovers with 91/92 crossovers, so as to gain the controls. But, I typically run my AR90's 'flat', so for me, it probably won't matter. But, it would be fun to run the tweeter at -6dB, and the mid at -3dB, then I'd have my own 3a's...! :D:rolleyes:

I've never seen a cap this size!! I've seen pics with 2 good sized elecrtolyrics, but this dual cap weighs over 10 lbs!!
Is this normal in the 3a's?

Also noticed the date on the tweeter, Jan 29 1971.
I cleaned the pots and what a difference! Just waiting for funds to do recap and replace pots and new badges20171114_140205.jpg 20171114_152746.jpg 20171114_142702.jpg

Last edited:
I've never seen a cap this size!! I've seen pics with 2 good sized elecrtolyrics, but this dual cap weighs over 10 lbs!!
Is this normal in the 3a's?

Also noticed the date on the tweeter, Jan 29 1971.
I cleaned the pots and what a difference! Just waiting for funds to do recap and replace pots and new badgesView attachment 1046709 View attachment 1046712 View attachment 1046716
Those big wax block caps are typical. The pair I'm currently restoring (1969) had the same ones. Pulled and replaced them, as well as the smaller 6uf. That one I left in place.

Holy cow, that's a big cap! Did either of you test them, out of curiousity? With that much wax, it seems like they should be pretty well sealed.

Holy cow, that's a big cap! Did either of you test them, out of curiousity? With that much wax, it seems like they should be pretty well sealed.

I didn't test, I assume they are still good judging from the sweet sound of these speakers, But I believe a good rule of thumb is to replace nearly 50 year old caps regardless.
150uf film caps aren't cheap in Canada!!

Those big wax block caps are typical. The pair I'm currently restoring (1969) had the same ones. Pulled and replaced them, as well as the smaller 6uf. That one I left in place.

Hey Glenn I noticed you live not too far from where I grew up in Bristol CT. If I'm down that way in the future I'll look you up.

Yeah, the 50/150uf combo in these old AR-3a's is pretty ridiculous. Here's a comparison vs modern NPEs that I replaced it with.
IMG_0848.jpg

I pulled the big boys out of there. The speakers are much easier to lug around without that brick weighing them down. Although they're still pretty heavy for their size. That woofer is a beast.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom