AR3a HELP!!

download_20171118_102931.jpg pic of my setup, can't wait to restore the AR's so it will be a fair fight with the fully restored DQ-10's..

Last edited:
pic of my setup, can't wait to restore the AR's so it will be a fair fight with the fully restored DQ-10's..

No "fair fight" unless you play old vinyl. No matter what amp you use (and I don't care if it's 10,000 wpc) you cannot do better than the attached frequency response curve published by AR with both controls full ON.

The only way to overcome this with the original drivers is to:

1. Bi-amp
2. Cut back on the mid driver to bring it in line with the tweeter (now, this puts the mid way, way behind the woofer and makes a base heavy speaker even more bass heavy)
3. Apply more power to the mid/tweeter amp to bring everything back into balance​

Now, I bi-amp my 3a's with just the original three terminals. The better way to do this however is to bring out two new terminals. There is no sonic improvement over what I'm doing, but you gain a lot of flexibility. For example with 4 independent terminals you can easily use a tube amp on the mids/tweeters.

Hope this helps...
Regards,
Jerry

Attachments

• AR-3a-graph.jpg
    AR-3a-graph.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 12
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say.
Can't do better than ARs or can't do better with ARs?

No "fair fight" unless you play old vinyl. No matter what amp you use (and I don't care if it's 10,000 wpc) you cannot do better than the attached frequency response curve published by AR with both controls full ON.

The only way to overcome this with the original drivers is to:

1. Bi-amp
2. Cut back on the mid driver to bring it in line with the tweeter (now, this puts the mid way, way behind the woofer and makes a base heavy speaker even more bass heavy)
3. Apply more power to the mid/tweeter amp to bring everything back into balance​

Now, I bi-amp my 3a's with just the original three terminals. The better way to do this however is to bring out two new terminals. There is no sonic improvement over what I'm doing, but you gain a lot of flexibility. For example with 4 independent terminals you can easily use a tube amp on the mids/tweeters.

Hope this helps...
Regards,
Jerry

4. EQ

The reason I say "fair fight" is that it's hard to compare when the mids and or highs cut out on AR's when bass hits due to pitted pots and nearly 50 year old caps..I'm in no way saying that one of my speakers is better than the other. they, they are obviously quite different. The Dahlquists image like crazy and are very detailed, also I must have gotten a special pair because I don't find bass to be lacking at all. A friend of mine just redid his as well and he doesn't get the bass that I do. (maybe due to my replacement woofers from Reginar?)
The AR's are special in the way that they produce full detailed sound while maintaining a somewhat laid back easy to listen to sound, all while keeping a rather polite footprint..

The reason I say "fair fight" is that it's hard to compare when the mids and or highs cut out on AR's when bass hits due to pitted pots and nearly 50 year old caps.

There’s certainly no “fair fight” if one or both speakers aren’t fully restored to their original specs... That’s like sending a guy with a broken arm into a boxing match and calling the other guy a better fighter when he wins.

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say.
Can't do better than ARs or can't do better with ARs?

Look, those AR's were designed in an era when vinyl was the main source for sound reproduction. During the late 50's and early 60's record companies enhanced high frequencies on their records to compensate for the poor play back systems (record players with ceramic cartridges) prevalent in the marketplace.

AR designed their speakers to work perfectly with those records. Just look at the response curve from AR which I posted. Fast forward to modern digital playback without that high frequency enhancement and AR speakers sound dull and lifeless. That was what I meant by the shootout isn't really fair.

You can "fix" the problem, but only with two amps. Some say EQ's can help, but EQ's by nature introduce additional problems and distortions.

VINTAGEO, does this make sense now?

Regards,
Jerry

Look, those AR's were designed in an era when vinyl was the main source for sound reproduction. During the late 50's and early 60's record companies enhanced high frequencies on their records to compensate for the poor play back systems (record players with ceramic cartridges) prevalent in the marketplace.

AR designed their speakers to work perfectly with those records. Just look at the response curve from AR which I posted. Fast forward to modern digital playback without that high frequency enhancement and AR speakers sound dull and lifeless. That was what I meant by the shootout isn't really fair.

You can "fix" the problem, but only with two amps. Some say EQ's can help, but EQ's by nature introduce additional problems and distortions.

VINTAGEO, does this make sense now?

Regards,
Jerry

Thanks for the clarification onplane, I was just unclear as to what you were trying to say.
I feel that the ARs have a wonderful FULL detailed sound that I enjoy very much, and likewise the DQ-10s have superior soundstage and imaging while maintaining great listenability.
If you asked me to choose a favorite it would be easy! but chances are it would be different the next day:rolleyes:
I have owned and heard many different speakers, and I must say the newer digital friendly speakers, while they do sound great, are lacking in substance, class, warmth, if you will. (Too Perfect)
I would rather listen to my vintage AR's than most newer speakers produced today. I guess it's just the feeling I get when listening to them. Like us they aren't PERFECT and I think that's the most satisfying part, they don't have to be. As long as we enjoy our music, that's what counts.:beerchug:
Don't judge speakers by their performance numbers, but by the way they actually make you FEEL..

Thanks for the clarification onplane, I was just unclear as to what you were trying to say.

I would rather listen to my vintage AR's than most newer speakers produced today. I guess it's just the feeling I get when listening to them. Like us they aren't PERFECT and I think that'stt the most satisfying part, they don't have to be. As long as we enjoy our music, that's what counts.:beerchug:
Don't judge speakers by their performance numbers, but by the way they actually make you FEEL..

VINTAGEO, as you know, I also have a set of 3a's and I am the original owner. In the early 90's I bought a set of AR TSW-610's (3 ways with 12 inch acoustic suspension woofer). For years after I bought the TSW's I stopped listening to the 3a's as they just sounded way to "dull" compared to the "over bright" TSW's.

Today I listen to both systems. Both are bi-amped, but for different reasons. The 3a's required more voltage applied to the mids/tweeters and the TSW's required less voltage.

Beauty of bi-amping is we move voice control from the back of the speakers to volume controls on the independent amps so with ease we can return to the original configuration. With that same ease we can turn East Coast speakers into West coast. On my TSW's it's just a matter of remote clicks.

Regards,
Jerry

New film caps have arrived, and new pots grills cloth and badges on their way at xmas!! Gonna be some new old speakers in the house soon!! The caps are HUGE!!!20171205_150253.jpg

400v 150uf 51uf 6.2uf, I know 400v is overkill, but it was cheaper to get these as parts connexion was having a black friday sale and they were the closest to the original uf values. Canadian cost me about $140.00 shipped.

Last edited:
So I have a question, I picked up a BEAUTIFUL Sansui model Eight last night and was wondering if it would pair well with the AR's ? I hear they are quite the receiver.. This one has an issue though, bad left channel, I will try to sort that out before I get the AR's all redone.

So I have a question, I picked up a BEAUTIFUL Sansui model Eight last night and was wondering if it would pair well with the AR's ? I hear they are quite the receiver.. This one has an issue though, bad left channel, I will try to sort that out before I get the AR's all redone.
At 60 wpc, it will be ok. Your JVC 1010 will be much better driving the AR's. They like power.

Fixed the sansui, for now anyway, was a blown fuse Inside. Seems to be working well now. I put a 2A instead of 5A just to be sure not to hurt anything and it's been playing well so far.

Nice. You've got two monsters of collectibility and I'm jealous. Depending on who you ask the Model 8 may or may not be more desirable than the fabled 9090.

Back
Top Bottom