1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

AR5 or KLH 17s? Must decide

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MoPho, Nov 10, 2018 at 8:50 AM.

?

Keep what? AR5 or KLH17

1. AR5

100.0%
  2. KLH17

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MoPho

MoPho New Member

Hi folks: need to make room.

I have KLH 17s in great condition, probably should replace caps, but they look and sound fine. They were probably in a living room before being tossed on the curb by a moving neighbor across the street (thanks, neighbor!)

Also have AR5s, which I replaced the surrounds, and added the HiVi Q1R tweeters since the originals were dead. Pots a little rusty. These were obviously kept in a garage before I bought them for $10.

Either of these are paired A/B with AR11s Hi-Res (now about 20 years old with AR2C and AR17 in a 5.1 system.) Of course, when listening to both A/B it's only the fronts get the signal from a Onkyo TS-DX595 (also 20 years old). I have a Monster sub that rounds it out but only when both A/B on (not for B only).

I played around today with Don Fagen's Nightfly and Mono Revolver. Not sure what I should keep. Each adds its own "flavor" to the sound, with more bass and a slightly better mid from AR5s, better high end from KLH17s. Due to space I can't keep all three pairs. Also I am not skilled in electronics enough to fix myself.

Just looking for advice. I must add it's a joy to have this kind of dilemma, I am very lucky and happy to enjoy music.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 9:08 AM

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Oerets

Oerets AK Subscriber Subscriber

If the sound is pretty much equal between the two.
    Keep the pair in better condition.

My pick blind would be the AR's.

3. spark1

spark1 Super Member

I've owned both. For me, the AR5 is in a class above the KLHs.

Did you check resistance on the tweeters you removed? FYI, you can get replacement pots for $25 each on ebay. They are quite well made. Or go with the L-pad solution for $15.

4. peerson

peerson Well-Known Member

I like KLH speakers. I have the Seventeens (three pairs), Twentys, and Twenty Three's. But, I would love to have a pair of AR5s. All things equal, I would trade Seventeens for the Ar5s

5. Bodyblue

Bodyblue AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a pair of 17s, they are a great speaker....unfortunately I picked up a set of Dynaco A25s. The 17s have superb highs and decent lows but they just cant compete with the smoother Dynacos....especially in the bass department. In about 90 minutes I am meeting a guy from CL to sell my 17s. I am very glad I got to hear them and I will always think they are great speakers. I just like the Dynacos better.

quiet likes this.
  6. stupidhead

stupidhead aka Ratdogheads Subscriber

the 5s are the obvious choice imo

7. Ross6860

Ross6860 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Split the difference.

Find a nice pair of KLH 5

Seriously, since you don't want to work on them, keep the ones you like the sound of better. I would get the ARs back up to snuff, but that's me.

alteclipsch likes this.
  8. spark1

spark1 Super Member

Can I assume you added coils across the HiVi tweeters? Any other crossover changes?

One thing to keep in mind when comparing is that the AR5 is not nearly as sensitive as the KLH17s. It is a natural tendency to hear louder as better.

This will create problems no matter which pair you keep if you plan to use them simultaneously with the AR11HRs, which are even more sensitive.

9. MoPho

MoPho New Member

Thanks all! Spark1, I think the mids on the AR5s are definitely better. And no I did not add coils to the HiVi tweeters. Any recommendations?

Also, I tought about selling everything and getting a new 5 speaker system, with much much better mains. Maybe ELACs? Not sure yet. I use my system for vinyl and watching movies/tv.

10. spark1

spark1 Super Member

I think the consensus is .05mH.

StimpyWan likes this.
  11. MoPho

MoPho New Member

Thanks. Gonna see how that works...

Well after some morning A/B-ing I'm gonna keep the AR5s. Definitely much more smooth and full than the KLH17s (which must be paired with subwoofer for any low end)

I think HiVi tweeters may sound better than the KLH tweeters. AR5s mids not as harsh.

Also to note: The Nightfly sounds amazing in any configuration. Mono Revolver sounds better with AR5s.

12. Oerets

Oerets AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've had a few pairs of KLH 17's and also feel the tweeters were lacking.
    Thought the low end was good.
    They may need to be resealed if bass is lacking.

13. r_brumett61

r_brumett61 Active Member

Hopefully you still have the original AR tweeters they may be repairable. The HiVis are also great sounding though but do need the coil to tame them.

14. MoPho

MoPho New Member

Interesting. To my ears, the HiVis are fine - only connected by that hairline thin copper wire, maybe that's just enough signal.

Listening tonight to the 50th anniversary Pepper remix. Excellent.

15. spark1

spark1 Super Member

????

16. MoPho

MoPho New Member

I forgot, it connected them with speaker wire. The original leads to the original tweeters were severed :(

17. spark1

spark1 Super Member

Those were not leads, they were the actual coil wires. I would hope that you did not use the front mounted terminals when you installed the HiVi tweeters.

The recommended coils, along with a slightly reduced capacitance in the tweeter circuit, are intended to more closely mimic the sound of the original tweeter. As asked above, and as I referenced earlier, did you test the original tweeters with a meter (DC resistance)? They might well have still been good.

Even if not, they can be rebuilt.

But if you like the sound of the HiVi tweets without the crossover changes, then you might not like the sound of the originals anyway.

18. MoPho

MoPho New Member

"I would hope that you did not use the front mounted terminals when you installed the HiVi tweeters."

I sure did! Like I said, I'm no expert. And I didn't test resistance either. When I hooked them up, the originals were completely dead. I re-surrounded the woofers, which is the extent of my abilities, unfortunately.