AR77XB combined with a Dual 1019

Mark_in_Lex

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Strange idea. I have an AR77XB that needs a new arm and I have a junk Dual 1019. What do you think of putting the 1019 arm on the AR? It all sounds so good in my head.

Strange idea. I have an AR77XB that needs a new arm and I have a junk Dual 1019. What do you think of putting the 1019 arm on the AR? It all sounds so good in my head.
what's wrong with the current arm on the XB? fitting a different arm on the XB requires cutting of the subchassis, manufacturing a mounting system, cutting the top plate, making sure there is enough room aft of the suspension spring for the arm you wish to mount, and there is enough top plate area. then you get into suspension tuning to the mass of the attached parts. The original mounting on the XB77 is 210mm to spindle

If the Dual is complete but not working, I would restore it and find a tone-arm for the AR that fits the chassis.

Last edited:
Just wait for an opportunity on that auction site. AR arms can be had for less than $20. This is assuming you have the weight and a good headshell.

Won't mount. Not correct length or geometry, and the automatic mechanism is incompatible. Easiest alternative tonearm on an AR XA or XB is a Mayware Formula IV with the least alterations necessary.

Hi all, I would love to use an AR arm. In fact my arm is ok but... AR changed the arm with AR77XB. It's skinny (can't use other AR arms) and rides on a point not a bearing. I find that to be less than ideal. It also has a plastic collar that slips on the down shaft and mates with the down tube. This collar is gone and is UNOBTAINIUM. So the missing part plus the design change have me thinking of replacement. Am I so wrong? :)

Yes, the AR77XB arm is different than the XA/XB arms in it rides on a point at the bottom of the spindle, I may have an extra Delrin collar for the arm, have to check the parts boxes. The design is not bad, works as well as the other AR arms. The Dual arm would be a step down IMHO, would be better off going with a better arm if you decide to go in that direction.

And the Dual arm won't work on the AR anyway. It works on a Dual 1019. See if you can find the collar, or another complete AR arm.

Yes, the AR77XB arm is different than the XA/XB arms in it rides on a point at the bottom of the spindle, I may have an extra Delrin collar for the arm, have to check the parts boxes. The design is not bad, works as well as the other AR arms. The Dual arm would be a step down IMHO, would be better off going with a better arm if you decide to go in that direction.

SFrost. Thanks for the reply, finding a collar has been impossible so far....and by the way does it run on a plate at the bottom of the tube or just metal on metal? Mine is metal on metal now. Any thoughts on why AR would make this change? Thanks, MM

There is a special Delrin thrust plate at the bottom of the well that the point of the spindle rides on/in, hard to get out so wonder why yours is missing.
Not sure why the change, improving the movement of the arm I guess.

There is a special Delrin thrust plate at the bottom of the well that the point of the spindle rides on/in, hard to get out so wonder why yours is missing.
Not sure why the change, improving the movement of the arm I guess.

Thanks for the nudge. I double checked and the Delrin plate at the bottom of the shaft is there. MM

Hi all, I would love to use an AR arm. In fact my arm is ok but... AR changed the arm with AR77XB. It's skinny (can't use other AR arms) and rides on a point not a bearing. I find that to be less than ideal. It also has a plastic collar that slips on the down shaft and mates with the down tube. This collar is gone and is UNOBTAINIUM. So the missing part plus the design change have me thinking of replacement. Am I so wrong? :)
If you cannot find that bushing, you might try having one fabricated. The OD is .495, the ID is .377 the total length is .550, the diameter of flange at top is .700 and .065" thick. It doesn't have to be delrin, it can be bronze. the diameter of the top flange is not critical provided the flange diameter exceeds .500" so it doesn't fall down into the well.

This is the bushing you need and if you don't have the special thrust plate at the bottom of the well your not going to need the bushing anyway.

This is the bushing you need and if you don't have the special thrust plate at the bottom of the well your not going to need the bushing anyway.

Thanks Sfrost, turns out the plate is at the bottom of the well. Still missing the collar and looking. MM

I never got far in engineering school but one thing I did learn is never custom design something you can buy off the shelf. This looks like a standardized part to me. Amazon might even have something.

I never got far in engineering school but one thing I did learn is never custom design something you can buy off the shelf. This looks like a standardized part to me. Amazon might even have something.
common flanged bronze bushing can be found in a hardware store of near dimensions as listed. If outside OD is a touch big, it can be hand lapped to size. if ID dimensions are snug, it can be hand lapped to size. A little shorter than listed, no problem, a touch longer and it can be shortened.

I have the early XA dual motor.(have to give a nudge to get rolling), and a stock 77 XB. I love both, and both are currently running in different systems. I'm giving the edge to the 77 XB. I need to replace the cheesy plinth but I'm swamped with work at the time. The 77 XB is a real sleeper, and the parts are much newer. They seem to be a bit under the radar price wise, and if you have some minor woodworking skills for the plinth, I'd say get a parts unit, or purchase another and combine the units.

I have the early XA dual motor.(have to give a nudge to get rolling), and a stock 77 XB. I love both, and both are currently running in different systems. I'm giving the edge to the 77 XB. I need to replace the cheesy plinth but I'm swamped with work at the time. The 77 XB is a real sleeper, and the parts are much newer. They seem to be a bit under the radar price wise, and if you have some minor woodworking skills for the plinth, I'd say get a parts unit, or purchase another and combine the units.

the XB 77 being a set on top plate instead of a set up in as the original XB, will fit right on a standard XA base.

Back
Top Bottom