AR9 Ls ???? info needed

MJ Clemmer

Hello, I picked up a pair of AR9 Ls over the weekend, How do all of you rate these? I paid $20 for both, they weigh about 110 - 120 lbs each.. they have a 12 woofer and a 10" downfiring woofer... just want to know if they are worth refoaming.....cabs are MINT !!!!!! so are the grills.... thanks so much...Michael.. attached are some pics

get with the re-surrounding, I would

mj clemmer, I never heard the AR9LS...but I do own the AR9, a simply amazing loudspeaker capable of huge, concert-like sound! :thmbsp:
for $20, you made out like a bandit. :D

bluebook says,

AR SPK, AR- 9LS (PAIR)
Description:
Manufacture Years: 1982 - 1985
Additional Information:
Retail
MSRP: $1,800.00
USED: $780.00

Last edited:
you have just qualified for "score of the year". what bolly said, get them refoamed post-haste, you'll love yourself for it.

Hi MJ

Yes score of the year... :thmbsp:

Picked mine up for $25 and I wouldn't trade them for anything :no:

The AR-9LS is an excellent speaker IMHO in all sonic ranges.

You will need an amp or receiver with some horse power to drive the 4 ohm load.

I'll dig up the specs when I get a chance, work is calling me away :sigh:

Don't let Bolly talk you outta them :D , they are something to behold :banana:

I have a pair of AR-9LS's. They are awesome-sounding, ideal for home theater due to their tremendous output in all ranges. You need a lot of power, however, as they are not efficient.

A very important point that most people are not aware of is the AR-9LS versus the AR-9LS improved. The only difference is two resistors in the crossover circuit, which reduces the midrange output level significantly. Look at the website:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/ar/Unclassic/Unclassic.htm

It shows both schematics. You will have to buy two resistors for each speaker if the modification is not yet made. Without this change, they sound terrible--all midrange. I believe this is why some AR enthusiasts dismiss this as a poor speaker. Their loss is our gain, as they are available for a reasonable price compared to the AR-9's, which are expensive and IMO not any better than the AR-9LS.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Yeah, they're worth refoaming. Kits available on eb-ay.

Nice score. I've been lusting after a pair of the original AR-9 but for $20 (or for 10x that) I would have jumped at it. AR speakers have a special place in my heart. Someday I'll have a pair of my own.

I'd love to hear yours someday. I pass through Milwaukee on a regular basis during the summer hamfest season - I'm over in Madison.

Keep us posted on your restoration. Am I the only person who gets a rush when I have to refoam drivers?

Thank you ALL for the info..

I would like to Thank you ALL for the info on these MONSTERS... I got them at a rummage sale. My wife was having a rummage sale and I went to turn my truck around, and their they were 4 houses down...... COULD NOT BELIEVE that he only wanted $20 for the pair...Im tellin ya, the CABS and grills are MINT...MINT not a single scrath on either of them...I asked him if he had any other old school gear, he said he still may have a Spec 2 Pioneer, if so, he'll let it go for $20 also...i got my fingers crossed for that one ...Ill keep ya posted on the progress of the refoam job and ill send some better pics....thank you ALL again.....Michael...

:thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom