Arcam FMJ CDS27 Review.

ArcamFan

http://www.dagogo.com/arcam-fmj-cds27-universal-audio-disc-player-review

A review on the new Arcam CDS27, although I'm disappointed by the lack of technical info on build construction, internal components, etc. I'm also surprised that it doesn't utilize a toroidal transformer, which I believe would mark the first time in years that an Arcam CD player at this price range did not. It also appears they are no longer utilizing the British made Wolfson DAC's of the previous units, instead opting for a TI/Burr-Brown PCM1794. I always felt that the Wolfson DAC's where part of what helped give Arcam and other British audio units their "British sound". I also dislike the new display panel from what I've seen of it. The older, classic Sony style CD displays on previous Arcam units are much nicer to look at.

I'm a bit old school when it comes to audio and music, and don't really have much of a need or desire to download and stream music, although I do like the SACD capability. What few downloads I do can be handled through USB on my Blu-Ray networking player. Download formats and DAC's keep changing and I just don't see the sense in spending the extra money on a CD player like this that seems a bit of a compromise by Arcam's standards in parts quality for streaming technology until some kind of standards are set in place that will last. Sadly, there appears to be no other more traditional CD player options in Arcam's line up to choose from. A model that had the SACD capability without the Wi-Fi and streaming would be something I'd be interested in, with a separate music server component available for those who want it.

All in all, I just don't really look to a company like Arcam for the latest in digital music streaming or video technology. I just want traditional, high quality, refined 2 channel audio in a modestly attractive package, "British audio" which is what Arcam has always been good at. I'm not sure which direction they are going here, but I hope they return to a more focused traditional approach, or at least give those of us who are still looking for it some more options.

Last edited:
I have Arcam CD 37, which is the older model. It doesn't have stream or any internet function. Sadly it has been discontinued for quite a period of time. Technically speaking, the old model is solid built, with 2 toroidal transformers and it also has DSD capability. DSD is a really important feature for SACD players. It is hard for me to believe the CDS27 does not include any DSD function. I wondered if the decoding unit is inside the boards somewhere?

There are not so much options available if you need a pure CD/SACD player with an acceptable price. I have checked and the only option available is Japanese: Pioneer the cheapest, then followed with Yamaha, Luxman, Accuphase. Pioneer's just like a cheap blu-ray player that could play SACD, which you can't expect it offer any surprising sound. The others are far much more expensive than Arcam. None of them has any "British sound". Seriously I really hope Arcam could rebuild a pure SACD/CD player like CD 37.

I have Arcam CD 37, which is the older model. It doesn't have stream or any internet function. Sadly it has been discontinued for quite a period of time. Technically speaking, the old model is solid built, with 2 toroidal transformers and it also has DSD capability. DSD is a really important feature for SACD players. It is hard for me to believe the CDS27 does not include any DSD function. I wondered if the decoding unit is inside the boards somewhere?

There are not so much options available if you need a pure CD/SACD player with an acceptable price. I have checked and the only option available is Japanese: Pioneer the cheapest, then followed with Yamaha, Luxman, Accuphase. Pioneer's just like a cheap blu-ray player that could play SACD, which you can't expect it offer any surprising sound. The others are far much more expensive than Arcam. None of them has any "British sound". Seriously I really hope Arcam could rebuild a pure SACD/CD player like CD 37.
I agree. This is a step back for Arcam, at least from purely an audiophile standpoint. No Wolfson DACs? No Toroidal transformers? The new display also looks generic. They are sacrificing build quality and possibly sound quality as well for the lasted features, streaming, etc., which is something I expect from the big box Japanese companies, not British audio. I personally don't understand why someone would turn to a company like Arcam for this kind of thing anyway. High-end audio has always been a niche market. The big name Japanese companies have the steaming and video market pretty much corners. What they don't have cornered in most cases is exceptional 2-channel sound quality and build quality, something the Arcam had always done very well. They should just stop embarrassing themselves and return to a more 2-channel audiophile approach. As it stands now, I can't recommended any of Arcam's newest line up. I'd recommend to anyone who want's the Arcam look and the sound to seek out their previous line up right before this one, or their older DIVA and FMJ gear, back when they could truly be called British audio and when most of their units were actually still made in Britain.

I agree. This is a step back for Arcam, at least from purely an audiophile standpoint. No Wolfson DACs? No Toroidal transformers? The new display also looks generic. They are sacrificing build quality and possibly sound quality as well for the lasted features, streaming, etc., which is something I expect from the big box Japanese companies, not British audio. I personally don't understand why someone would turn to a company like Arcam for this kind of thing anyway. High-end audio has always been a niche market. The big name Japanese companies have the steaming and video market pretty much corners. What they don't have cornered in most cases is exceptional 2-channel sound quality and build quality, something the Arcam had always done very well. They should just stop embarrassing themselves and return to a more 2-channel audiophile approach. As it stands now, I can't recommended any of Arcam's newest line up. I'd recommend to anyone who want's the Arcam look and the sound to seek out their previous line up right before this one, or their older DIVA and FMJ gear, back when they could truly be called British audio and when most of their units were actually still made in Britain.

Can't agree more. If my CD37 broke down someday, I might give up SACD and won't buy Arcam. I might consider Cyrus and Rega but not Naim. Naim is the another brand that I don't like most.
Arcam's product are mostly made in far east now, only the top models like A49 is made in US. It seems to me there is no more British made. Is it the globalization effect? I don't know but I am pretty sure the company is losing its colour like you said.

I believe Arcam has changed their role. Instead of spending effort in improving the sound, they are making budget-based hifi like Marantz. You can definitely see this from their int. amp line : The top is A49 (US), then A39 (far east) and the lowest model is A19 (far east) . Last year they have added A29 (also made in far east) to the line which I would complain besides CDS27.
A39 has stated its hybird Class G amplification is having 20W power in class A, but how about A29? There is no clue. Arcam just like Marantz that would make a wide range of cheap products and saying they are using top line chips or technology in lower models. However, the cheaper one is always cheaper, you paid what you could get and can not expect more than that.

Can't agree more. If my CD37 broke down someday, I might give up SACD and won't buy Arcam. I might consider Cyrus and Rega but not Naim. Naim is the another brand that I don't like most.
Arcam's product are mostly made in far east now, only the top models like A49 is made in US. It seems to me there is no more British made. Is it the globalization effect? I don't know but I am pretty sure the company is losing its colour like you said.

I believe Arcam has changed their role. Instead of spending effort in improving the sound, they are making budget-based hifi like Marantz. You can definitely see this from their int. amp line : The top is A49 (US), then A39 (far east) and the lowest model is A19 (far east) . Last year they have added A29 (also made in far east) to the line which I would complain besides CDS27.
A39 has stated its hybird Class G amplification is having 20W power in class A, but how about A29? There is no clue. Arcam just like Marantz that would make a wide range of cheap products and saying they are using top line chips or technology in lower models. However, the cheaper one is always cheaper, you paid what you could get and can not expect more than that.
I would hang on to your older Arcam units, get them repaired if need be. SACD is not a deal breaker for me. My Arcam CD192 with 24/192kHz upscaling makes CD's sound close to or as good as SACD. The real benefits of SACD come from multi-channel anyway, which I am not interested in. Yes, the top of the line Arcam units are made in the USA, which is still much preferable to China, and there may be one or two models still made in the UK, I think their top of the line preamp might be, but the rest is Chinese now, like everything else. Rega is still built in the UK, as is Naim (I think), and Roksan. But that's about it. Creek is Chinese now. Even some speaker manufacturers, like B&W are made in China now, with only the very best and most expensive models still be produced in the UK, which are out of the range of most of us. What's the point of going British Audio if all roads lead to China? I am keeping and seeking out the older gear by these manufacturers. I'm not convinced that their latest stuff is really any better then what they were producing before, and I don't want video, Wi-Fi or streaming from them, at least not at the prices they charge. I would just buy Sony or one of the big mainstream manufacturers for that kind of stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom