Are Chinese fuses safe?

baretta

I bought a package of Radio Shack fuses for my amp and after I installed one I found out they were made in China? Should I take it out?

As long as the fuse has CSA and UL approval they have been tested in their respective laboratories to operate as specified. I doubt that RS would sell and fuse without CSA and UL approval.

As long as the fuse has CSA and UL approval they have been tested in their respective laboratories to operate as specified. I doubt that RS would sell and fuse without CSA and UL approval.

What you've said is,in principle,entirely true. Unfortunately,the real world is a far different reality.The Chinese have proven repeatedly,beyond any doubt,that they will pirate any product,technology,brand name or logo,trademarks and patents be damned.

More worrisome in my mind is their ongoing fraudulent use of safety certification labels on products being mass produced,exported to our major retailers,then sold to an unsuspecting public.In this case,safety be damned.All apparently without any government oversight,intervention or penalties being imposed.Or at most,nothing of any consequence.

And don't think for one second that I'm bashing the Chinese. They can,and regularly do,produce top quality products in an honest,legal manner.
The problem is determining which one you are purchasing!

If you were going to cheat and cheepen a fuse you would use less metal and it would blow sooner than , it was supposed too , so i would have any concerns for safety .

Mine came with a Wrigley gum wrapper, said lifetime fuse. I stocked up.

There is a tech bulletin from general motors on the topic. In short only buy authentic Buss or Littlefuse name brand fuses from a known reliable source. Radio Shack should meet those criteria. The TSB was related to fuses marketed by harbor freight and used in automotive applications.

For what it's worth, Parts Connexion in Canada, who I have no affiliation with, have the high quality German made HiFi Tuning fuses on closeout. They have the "Classic Gold" series of gold plated/ceramic (instead of glass for improved resonance properties) at $12.50 each (50% off) for the 1 1/4 inch size (6.3 x 32mm size, various amperage ratings) and the Silver Star series on sale (75% off) at $29.98 each. I know, sounds crazy, but they do make an audible improvement. They have a pdf showing tests of various fuses; the HiFi Tuning fuses have less AC and DC resistance and better overall contact due to less corrosion, better materials, etc. Take a gander at it yourself. Hey, if your amps (mine are MC-60's) are in good shape (rebuilt with newer electrolytics, other caps, replaced selenium rectifier, good, strong tubes, etc.), the chances of blowing one of these expensive fuses is minimal so why not splurge a bit. I bought two pairs of the "Classic Gold" and I do hear slight improvement in the sound of the amps. They are on closeout because apparently HiFi Tuning has come out with a "Supreme" series using special solder from Mundorf, and a special 99% silver, 1% 24kt gold mixture for the internal fuse leads which are real expensive. If you don't have any inclination to buy expensive fuses though, stick with a quality brand like Littlefuse. I have heard of issues with some Chinese fuses simply being of poor quality. A popular tube amp manufacturer recently switched to that brand due to sporadic failures of poor quality fuses from China. The Littlefuse brand is consistent in quality according to several sources I spoke to.

Back
Top Bottom