Are computer based EQs any good?

I've heard in the past that computer EQs are garbage but i've decided to give foobar2000's integrated EQ a try. and it seems to improve the highs coming out of my speakers. Has anyone else tried computer based EQs?

Elaborate...you are using your computer to EQ your stereo? Running your signal from the stereo to the 'puter and back?

mayorbill11 said:
I've heard in the past that computer EQs are garbage but i've decided to give foobar2000's integrated EQ a try. and it seems to improve the highs coming out of my speakers. Has anyone else tried computer based EQs?
I don't use the EQ, but I swear Foobar2000 is the best sounding PC mp3 player I have used. The interface is antique (2000 was a long time ago in PC time), but for the 128mbs bitstreams that I listen to, I prefer the sound of it. I can't tell it's compressed at all. The highs are clean and the bass is stronger than the rest.

It wouldn't surprise me if the EQ is top notch, too. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
no, i'm simply using my computer as the source and using my mp3 player's EQ.

computer > reciever

and yeah, foobar is the best sounding mp3 player, i used to use winamp but now i use foobar exclusively.

eq.jpg

My two cents for anyone that's interested:

Like all things Digital that interface with analog devices, the quality of the A to D and D to A converters are important and can vary greatly in sonic performance. Within the digital device or software package the algorithims also will vary. For example I haven't used Real Audio in years cause when it first came out it was so awfull it was unlistenable. I'm not being a snob here either. Any mp3 I heard that was ripped with Real Audio sounded like it had a flanger on it. That was years ago, by now there's enough nice sounding software packages like itunes and foobar that as long as you have a decent sound card (good digital to analog converters) you should be fine.

If you think it sounds better than not using it, go for it.

What kind of sound chip you using? I just got one of those Chaintech Envy24 with a 24 bit wolfson DAC and it sounds pretty good as far as digital conversions and playback :D

well so far i'm just using the stock built in sound card but i would like to upgrade, maybe to something with RCA jacks on it.

Back
Top Bottom