Are expensive cartridges really worth it??

db297

Hey - I am currently using a LPgear AT95HE cart on a PL-530. This sounds great to me, but since I'm slowly becoming obsessed with vinyl, I'm wondering is a $500 cartridge really going to sound SO much better than the one I'm using now??? I mean heck - is a $2000.00 cart going to sound SO much better???

If it makes any difference, I listen to a lot of jazz, Tony Bennett, Neil Young. Joe Walsh. I go back and forth to styles of music a lot.

Unfortunately, I've never had the opportunity to listen to any other carts, so I cannot evaluate for myself.

Thanks,
db

You need to make the decision on price vs. performance. For me, my money is well spent on transducers. Transducers are those critters that convert energy. A cartridge converts mechanical energy to electrical energy. A speaker converts electrical energy to acoustic energy. :music:

You need to make the decision on price vs. performance. For me, my money is well spent on transducers. Transducers are those critters that convert energy. A cartridge converts mechanical energy to electrical energy. A speaker converts electrical energy to acoustic energy. :music:

I have no idea what a transducer is. Do you have a link to the ones you are using, so I can start learning?

Thanks,
db

Its all relative really. Would you use a 2000.00 cart on a 50.00 table? I would say that going up to the next level or 2 on a cart will improve a nice sounding table.

I have no idea what a transducer is. Do you have a link to the ones you are using, so I can start learning?

Thanks,
db
What he was saying was that both cartridges and speakers are examples of transducers, and that he believes that they make the biggest difference in sound quality.

It is hard to give a pat answer. A lot of variables. Depends on the quality of the rest of the components, the room, the system synergy, you hearing and a number of other things. The key is to have a balanced system that has an overall synergy. I've heard systems that cost the same as a small country's gross domestic product that is worse than a cheap transistor radio and systems that cost zip that you could die to duplicate. Synergy is not discussed much or often so can be missed easily in putting together a system but when you have it, you know.

I'm not sure what the PL-530 (sort of sounds like a Pioneer model #) table is or the tonearm. If you are unsure of the arm specs see if you can dig them up and try to match a cartridge to the arm. It is more important to get a good match between them than blowing the budget on a cartridge and then finding out it is not a good match.

Thanks,
db

Generally, a transducer is any device that converts/transforms energy of one form into another form of energy. Your amp puts out electrical energy, and the speaker uses that power to create sound... or the sonic representation of the electrical wave input. The sound is also a wave of course, and therefore contains energy. So the speaker has transformed the energy fed to it from electrical into acoustic energy and heat.

Why not try a $300 cart before stepping up to a 500 dollar unit?

IMO yes, there are big differences.

Hey - I am currently using a LPgear AT95HE cart on a PL-530. This sounds great to me, but since I'm slowly becoming obsessed with vinyl, I'm wondering is a $500 cartridge really going to sound SO much better than the one I'm using now??? I mean heck - is a $2000.00 cart going to sound SO much better???

If it makes any difference, I listen to a lot of jazz, Tony Bennett, Neil Young. Joe Walsh. I go back and forth to styles of music a lot.

Unfortunately, I've never had the opportunity to listen to any other carts, so I cannot evaluate for myself.

Thanks,
db

With the TT you have? Yes, most likely. However, it's up to you to decide whether it's worth it to spend your money on the difference. Personally, I'm so happy with my $100 cart ($300 list price, though) that I have little need to move on the next step, would be be $300 or $350. I have no doubt that I'd notice and enjoy the difference, but since I'm not unhappy with what I currently have, I can't justify the outlay.

Your TT seems to be a very nice one. If you feel like your cart might be holding you back, there are a lot of options in the $100 to $200 range that would offer improvement for not a TON of money.

The cart you have now retails for around $75
The table you have is fairly nice. If I were you I do not know if I would make the jump to $300 as advised earlier but maybe something more in the $200 range. This would be almost 3 times what the AT95HE retails for. This would give you a good idea of the dif right away.

IMO the differences are going to be in the areas of detail, smoothness and soundstage.

However there is a trade off, I have a Grado Blue and a Grado Gold the Gold sells for twice that of the Blue.

Which one sounds better? The Gold obviously but on older and records that were badly recorded or are not in pristine condition I use the Blue because it's "kinder" to them. It doesn't show up the faults as much and rounds off some of the sharp corners.

So dearer isn't always better.

Then there is also the point of diminishing returns.

That is at lower prices you get a bigger jump in sound quality the more you pay. But once you get into the higher end you won't get nearly as a big a jump. You pay more and get less.

Also if you don't have any hum problems with Grado's on your Pioneer why not try either a Red, Platinum or Gold, depending on your budget. The Grado's are known for their smooth, mellow sound, the higher up you go the more detail you get.

Last edited:
Greetings all, this is an interesting question. I'm pefectly happy with my M97xE's and I have never felt the need to upgrade. Incidentally the M97xE isn't all that inexpensive in Australia. More expensive cartridges may be better in some tangiable respects but the fun I've had with the M97xE is in trying to get the best out of it by careful overhang adjustment, electrical loading and the use of the OOPS configuration (for improved stereo separation and reduced crosstalk).

I wish the M97xE had a more advanced stylus tip configuration (to reduce surface noise etc), but overall I can't really fault it. Regards, Felix aka catman.

I believe audio components are a lot like automobiles. My opinion is that once you pass a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord you are doing nothing more than either showing people you can afford something expensive and they can't or that you are worthy to be a member of some exclusive group.

Again, my personal opinion.

I believe audio components are a lot like automobiles. My opinion is that once you pass a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord you are doing nothing more than either showing people you can afford something expensive and they can't or that you are worthy to be a member of some exclusive group.

And to expand on that analogy, once you you go beyond those two you are most likely paying for an enhancement in a particular area of performance - usually associated with a particular model: better handling or sheer speed or luxury, etc.

So the same may apply to carts. After a certain price point, maybe you're paying for improved soundstage or musicality, HF/LF extension, etc...

The most I've paid is $300 for the Soundsmith Otello. Area of improved performace: musicality. It was worth it.:D

Wow, That I'm not sure is a fair statement at all. Your saying just because someone wants to improve the performance of his system, he is putting someone down who has a less expensive or complicated system? Most of the members here at Audiokarma are dedicated to helping other members not judging them! Thank Goodness!
Regards,
Jim

I am getting more and more interested in the Nakagoa cartridges especially the MP-11 but I think I might take a jump up to the MP-110 which is the replacement to the 11.

Wow, That I'm not sure is a fair statement at all. Your saying just because someone wants to improve the performance of his system, he is putting someone down who has a less expensive or complicated system? Most of the members here at Audiokarma are dedicated to helping other members not judging them! Thank Goodness!
Regards,
Jim

You've written a good post here Jim, I agree with this analogy. I agree that one can get probably really nice sound with a vintage Table, or let's say a new Technics 1210 Mk-II, with a nice Cartridge on board. Will it sound Like a $40K Turntable, with a $5K Cartridge on board, well, most likely not, but that doesn't mean that that lesser table cannot be sweet, clean sounding, articulate, and enjoyable, even to the guy who owns the $40K Table.

It's like the old saying, someone else's grass is always greener, or someone else's wine is always sweeter.

I've seen many, come into various forums, including this one, proclaiming what is, and what should be, myself included, so I'm not of course without sin. Blanket statements abound sometimes, braggarts, self proclaimed gurus, and masters of "dogshit", and that thier equipment is better than yours, and even if you dumped a $100K into your system it still could never be better than thiers, that's what dog-headed fools there are out there in reality, for whatever reasons?

Set up, is very important, and I've heard more than one person say that a cheaper Turntable-Cartridge properly set up, can sound better than a more expensive set-up, not properly dialed in.

Dialing is is important, but to worry yourself over .001" VTA at the rear of arm is not just being "over-obsessive", but is truthfully insanity!

We all have to fit into the realm of things, and relativity is paramount. Wise selection of components, and how to make them work just right is a special knack sometimes. Mark

Last edited:
The cart you have now retails for around $75
The table you have is fairly nice. If I were you I do not know if I would make the jump to $300 as advised earlier but maybe something more in the $200 range. This would be almost 3 times what the AT95HE retails for. This would give you a good idea of the dif right away.

This is the route to take. I have done things this way also. Read up a little more on different carts' and that can help influence your next buy.

Back
Top Bottom