1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Are NAD receivers troublesome ?

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by Fuzzbuster, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Fuzzbuster

Fuzzbuster Super Member

Hi everyone...Fuzz here. So when I look on eBay at NAD receivers a large percentage of them have issues and are sold "as is". Do they commonly have issues or are people just trying to unload their junk? Are NAD receivers so good that people with working units won't part with them? Maybe rhetorical questions but I'd really like to try one...but don't want a headache.

BTW: I've noticed the same thing with Carver...:idea:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. teal'c

teal'c It's all moo Subscriber

From my reading, it seems to vary. Some people have had problems, some haven't, and a lot more than either have jumped on the bandwagon. A big complaint seems to be with soldering issues. If you're OK with checking out the bottom of the board...
    My 2400 amp is great and has been running for four years with the only problem being the dirty relay issue. It would cut out either partly or mostly and turning up the volume would reconnect and sound fine again. Over time, it's cleared up on it's own and I haven't had it happen it about two years.
    I will be keeping it, and am looking forward to pulling a @leesonic on it. Film caps and all that.

3. Electone

Electone Well-Known Member

NAD equipment has excellent circuit design and thus great sound quality. They kept/keep costs down by manufacturing in far east countries and using cheaper parts from a lot of no-name Taiwanese and Chinese manufacturers. Whether that resulted in higher instances of breakdown is the question. I have a lot of NAD equipment and the only thing that ever failed on me was a 5240 CD player.

Fuzzbuster likes this.
  4. goodolpg

goodolpg Just an old fart trying to help. Subscriber

Seems like maybe solder joints and power switches are the most often mentioned "problems".
    I asked about power switch issues when I first bought a 1700 preamp and was told the power switch issues are mostly in amps/receivers due to their higher power needs?

KentTeffeteller and Fuzzbuster like this.
  5. BobHol

BobHol Old fart Subscriber

I am an owner of a NAD T-763 AVR reciever from the early 2000's. It was given to me by my son who found it in a crawl space of the house he bought. (Past owner was "exec" at Sweatwater A pro audio reseller). It was put aside because it was obsolete.. No HDMI. It has worked flawlessly for me. But to back up what others have said here, This is the exception. Most of these early Nad recievers developed problems that were to costly to fix. ,I had thought that it was design problems. But the idea that they had problems with their suppliers makes a lot of sense to me.
    So an older NAD reciever that is working properly may be a very good buy. But as-is or parts only units are to avoided. I really do enjoy my Nad and am using it now..

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  6. Silentnet

Silentnet AK Subscriber Subscriber

The "power envelope" designs have a reputation for failing.

slimecity and KentTeffeteller like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Modplod

Modplod New Member

I have a few NAD receivers all bought cheap off eBay. I love the sound they produce but I average about a year before a channel goes completely dead or worse. Then I go back to EBAY for another one.

I have bought Onkyo and Yamaha new and found the was very sterile compared to the NAD

8. NAD80

NAD80 Super Member

The NAD sound is better than the rep they get. Have a 3140 integrated amp. It replaced a Marantz receiver back in 80. Could shake the house from the basement. Driving CV R-10 speakers. Great headroom on the Nad. No problems with the 3140.

9. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

NAD sound is never an issue. NAD sounds superb, biggest issues is where they're built, and the build quality sometimes being a bit too cost cut to keep them salable at a price point. If the on/off switches were better grade, and component parts a few notches better, and circuit design a bit more conservative, they'd be hard to beat at any price point. PE and Soft Clipping best used very sparingly. Sometimes a bit of clipping is good to know when you've pushed it a bit too far. But I like NAD in sound quality, and I like their excellent industrial design, and straightforward controls which are logical and well laid out. When a NAD works and works well, they're great to listen to. And as many brands in this class have gone downhill, the new NAD gear is as good as you can find for the price class today, and a good choice.

Dazaa likes this.
  10. Fleischer

Fleischer Active Member

A number of NAD receivers and amps have a combined volume/balance pot once made by Alps and no longer available. This can be a problem. But I have nothing but good to say about the 3 NAD receivers that I have owned.

KentTeffeteller likes this.