Are Old Rock Stars Cool?

Are Old Rock Stars Cool?

• Yes

Votes: 80 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 56 41.2%

• Total voters
I still need to see Richard Thompson - Cool guy, whatever he is :)

Yes. Yes you do. He's superb.
We've seen him twice (solo & acoustic, which is how I like him best) in the past few years at a little venue in Bethlehem NH -- this summer, we had front row center seats. Not bad.

Tough question!

I think some can carry it off, if the material isn't too rockish in make up. A few artists soften their offerings and leave the antics to the younger up and coming musicians/singers.

To a degree some have expectations that the group will act and sound the same as in the past, but I think only the soft core performers can carry it off with any degree of success.

At times, the front bands seem longer playing than the featured groups. Conservation of energy?

Q

Last edited:
Seen a lot of shows with "old" entertainers. Some still have it...some eh. But...meeting them in person and how approachable they are to us "little people" goes a long way. Met Joan Jett in Bahrain during her USO tour. She sat with me in in my office and talked music for over an hour. Meant more to me than if she could still sing every note.

Look at the Stones....

Although I think they all should let their hair grow and dispense with keeping up with the times !

I think she is still cool,...

9hcmMW.gif

...and hot!

:rockon:
I do have tickets to see Fripp and the current King Crimson next weekend ...
Fripp was born in '46 - he's 71, venerable, and probably cool ;) Heroes!
Then again, he's never done the guitar windmills and jumps of Pete Townshend ... and disdains the whole guitar god thingee
I'm jealous! My entertainment budget is, at the moment, in the red for the year.
As far as artists in their 40s vs. dinosaurs in their 60s and 70s playing their "hits", I would state categorically that playing songs the same way every time may be what fans think they want but songs quickly go stale. Deep Purple largely mailed in their performance last month. I was bored to tears with Belle and Sebastian this summer as I find their music best suited to elevators but more importantly, their lack of enthusiasm during many of the songs was evident. Just saying that touring is tough regardless of age.

can there be a maybe or depends? I mean Robin Trower, Paul Weller, Brian Ferry are ARE ALL COOL and older.

I was gonna say Weller, the Mod Father has aged gracefully. Saw Neil Young W/CH a few years back and he still delivers. Keef will always be cool in my book Mick on the other hand has become a cliche'

There are a few that are still cool rockin' into their 60's, Kix, Iron Maiden (playing their new stuff not their old), but most look like they are out for the paycheck. God I wish Phil Lynot didn't die, Thin Lizzy +++++++++++++++.

I think she is still cool,...

9hcmMW.gif

...and hot!

She just played at the Durham Fair here in CT, awesome show (kids recorded most of the show on their phones). Deb and I did not get to go but the kids went and were blown away. Last time I saw her personally, it was the Crimes of Passion Tour LOL!!!!

Cool...? My No vote tied it all up at 26 Yes and 26 No. I cast that No vote from my gut and feel even better about it after having read the posts.

That said, I think there are several Rock Stars that are highly respectable. Robert Plant for one. He abdicated his throne years ago, much to a lot of LZ fans dismay, and keeps growing his craft, IMO. That makes him cool in my book.

Back
Top Bottom