Are the MC2301 amps due for an update next?

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by joeinid, Nov 10, 2017.

1. joeinid

joeinid Well-Known Member

Now that the MC1.25KW amps are here, is it time for the MC2301s to get a makeover?

:angel:

2. Wvnyc@Ct

Wvnyc@Ct Active Member

Not sure how you improve on that one.

Stereognat likes this.
  3. twiiii

twiiii Super Member

Maybe introduce an updated 3500 with twice the power of a 2301 with a 1/3 to 1/4 the distortion as did the 3500 over the Original 275 running mono. Lets see, ARC produces a 750 watt tube amp. Mac ought at least try to come close. Or maybe they could just manage the 2301 like they did the 1.2K.

But personally I would like to see them advance their speaker line. I heard a rumor there is a 2k speaker replacement in development. If they can go to Clear audio for turntables, why not Magico for new line array development?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Wvnyc@Ct and joeinid like this.
  4. c_dk

c_dk Addicted Member

Italian resources will probably lead their speaker development......that and industrial design.

What would they call it....... a MC4500 with sweep or transmitting tubes and everything?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  5. jblnut

jblnut Don't Overthink It Subscriber

hmm...Mac and Magico...you got something there twiii....

jblnut

6. twiiii

twiiii Super Member

I really Like Snell's A7 Phantom and when the group Mac belonged to bought Snell I though wow! Maybe a new line of speakers with the great sound of Snells mids and tweeters with Mac's line array. It didn't happen. I normally prefer cloth tweeters as opposed to tweeters with resonant metal domes. But the tweeters in the latest Magicos are something very special. Smooth, accurate and easy to listen. Mac should be so lucky.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    joeinid likes this.
  7. jblnut

jblnut Don't Overthink It Subscriber

All of the recent top line speakers I auditioned had some variant of a metal tweeter (Revel and Focal included) and all were quite amazing actually. You simply cannot reproduce ultra high frequencies with low distortion and high power handling, using cloth. Magico had the best, but at that price point they should be. I could live with the titanium (iirc) dome of the Revel or Focal quite happily.

Even my ancient 250Ti's have a very good titanium tweeter - much better in fact that most of the lower-cost titanium tweeters that became (in)famous for that JBL sound later on.

Any of course, they would all sound amazing with a 2301 (or a newer variant) !

jblnut