Are the White Van Speakers in your area? Current White Van activity

i was recently looking through the employment ads here in dallas trying to help my son with a job search, and i saw couple ads that ran something like this: Own your own business! flexible hours, make $800-$1000 a week working with high end audio systems! We will provide training and inventory....call 972-xxx-yyyy.

i thought, wow, that sounds kinda interesting...maybe...no, Wait! it's the white van people....

shrinkboy

I was approached a few years ago by these guys here in the Buffalo NY area in a newer red van. I was in the lot of the CompUSA and these guys fly up, some guy goes into a spiel about how cheap he got this stuff by some mistake and tries to tell me and show me a reciept. I was already in my Crown Vic (I probably fit their mold, here I am a young college kid with an expensive looking car, the car is an 84 but at that time it looked brand new and had maybe 60k miles, so they probably think I have spare cash to blow) with the door locked so I was able to keep from making direct confrontation with these guys. He kept saying I could have them cheap so I told the guy I would buy them for $40 which I told him was all the cash I had on me, needless to say they gave up. Too bad would have been a nice cheap pair of speakers for testing purposes. These guys are everywhere, not just in one area, if they were up in this area they are probably coming to your home town next.

Originally posted by yrly
Too bad would have been a nice cheap pair of speakers for testing purposes.

Testing what?
they usually are made of very cheap "made in china" drivers with no crossovers.

I would say they were good for testing to see how good your fireplace works, but I don't think recycled 1/4" cow chip particle board burns too well:D

I havent ever seen em. kinda wish i did because it would be funny, i could ask them all kinds of questions, like really technical like whats the DC offset of these or how many transistors do they have or how much jitter. lol.

So what are the so called brand name? :dunno:

Cuz I've seen some real cheezy sounding names on ePay and other sites I don't recognize .

Sounded like somebody got burned by the WV guys and were off loading them to somebody else.

Might help to post them if you remember so somebody a little less savy doesn't get burned

:pity: :deal:

Last edited:
many times they are rip off names of other well known brands like research acoustic instead of acoustic research etc...
Used as kind of a trick to make you think....Oh yeah, I heard of that brand.

I ran into them about a year ago...

They actually came into my workplace!

White van, silly schpiel, the whole nine yards.

They didn't know jack about them, except the outrageous wattage ratings, freq. response, etc, bs, bs, bs.

They left with no sale!

I read over at AR that one of the audio mags fed them real power & the cone blew out across the room in flames lol!!

yrly, so I meet another full size ford fan. Still driving one? I love the Merc incarnations. I've owned an '84, '87, '90, and my current '97, and for the money they can't be beat.

The '84 & '87 were the best by a mile. Supercomfortable, with all switches so easy to use, with perhaps the niggling horn button on the turn signal the only bad point!

My '84 went to 225K with no problems before I sold it. How'd yours do?

Pete

Re: I ran into them about a year ago...

Originally posted by piece-it pete

so I meet another full size ford fan. Still driving one? I love the Merc incarnations.

Pete

I think its sacrelige to call a mini-van ...MONTEREY....that was the mercury muscle of the 60 era!!!....Big 410 ci motor...335hp...rides like on a sheet of glass......ooooooohhhhhhhh yea!!!!:zoom:

The Mauarder was great!!!!too bad they ended production though too much price........

http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=948&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=2

Last edited:
The 84 Crown Vic is sitting idle at the present, frame is starting to rot, windsheild is cracked. I did not run it this year as it has not yet sagged it is still salvageable, if I want to spend the cash that is. I am trying to get someone to hook me up that will do it cheap, as the car still runs and the body is good. Currently at 129K miles.

I also have an 87 Grand Marquis I just rescued. Terrible body, but the underside might as well be new. It has to be one of the strongest, best running ones I have seen in a good while. How many of these can you slap the computer on it and get absolutely no fault codes? 108k on it.

My real car though... About two years ago I found an 83 Grand Marquis LS in mint condition from down south with 60k miles, every option possible including automatic climate control, even has a fold down rear seat arm rest (how many of them have this?). Engine compartment looked like new, still has original plastic part stickers on stuff like the liscense plate frame. Even has original radiator hoses (they really should replaced but still look good). Trunk looked like it was never used, seats look like they were never used. Underside looks brand new. Even had the original exhaust system on it when I bought it despite that it was almost 20 years old. It was like something out of a time warp. Has the Duraspark ignition which actually is somewhat more friendly than the EEC IV computer, so I put a K&N filter on it, dual exhausts, Accel 8.8 wires and racing coil. Runs better than any of the others ever did. Better gas milage too. Can hear a pin drop at 75 on the highway, as far as bumps you just hear them off the tires you feel nothing. I only drive it during the summer gonna keep it around as long as I can. Got about 70k on it now, should last a good long while.

My daily driver as of late? A 1991 F150, only has 63k miles on it. I can't wait until the snow melts though so I can drive the Grand Marquis. My big thing is I like rear wheel drive cars. It limits the selection, the full size Fords last forever, in fact its one of the few vehicles that you still regularly see 1980s models of around here. The winters kill them, except for big rear wheel drive ones that is. If its from the 80s and its still being driven as a daily driver chances are its either a Cadillac. Of the Chevy family like the Caprice, Parisienne, Delta 88. Or the Ford Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car family.

Back
Top Bottom