are there any good all in one turntables?

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Jason1979, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Jason1979

Jason1979 New Member

well for the budget I was hoping to keep it under $250 I think that is a good budget for what I am seeking out, these are not high quality turntables I realize, I mean they are not audiophile quality I mean, I do want a decent one that won't eat my records, and has loud enough audio, and I've been told Crosley are junk, so other than that I don't really know much about the lower end all in one speaker/turntable combo record players, I see there are many brands though like Victrola, and others, they look like Crosley record players, and that makes me worry that they are little more than Crosley clones, or am I wrong about this?

2. jusmee

jusmee Active Member

Pioneer made some good ones. This MS-6500 unit is very nice.

[​IMG]

3. jusmee

jusmee Active Member

There are many others selling, under different brand names, the same cheap asian made turntables that Crosley sell.

4. johnebravo

johnebravo I should be practicing

Many years ago a friend had a KLH Model 20 or maybe 24 system, which was pretty nice for the era; well designed, not a bad tuner, and kind of stylish if that counts for anything. The speakers were certainly way better than what you typically got in an all-in-one in those days (but they were obviously not built in if that's what you have to have). Not that long ago I came across a pair of those speakers at a thrift and played with them for bit. They were pretty heavy and took RCA type connectors on the back.

5. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Turntable Whisperer Subscriber

No.

Back in the day, there were some that were decent (KLH, Dual to name a couple). But now? It's all crap as far as the eye can see.

Somewhere I saw someone had come up with an all-in-one with a Rega, but they wanted stupid money for it.

6. Montycat

Montycat AK Subscriber Subscriber

7. alteclipsch

alteclipsch Super Member

The KLH Model Twenty was a great system although it's Garrard turntable wasn't state of the art.. I had one for years, but it finally gave up one channel.

8. BassKulcha

BassKulcha AK Subscriber Subscriber

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    bluemooze likes this.
  9. Rockyhill

Rockyhill 148 State Street Subscriber

My family had a Fisher 35A when I was in high school. A receiver with TT on top. Not bad sounding. Would have benefited from better speakers.

10. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Again, not sold in the USA, not officially imported to the USA, and most likely 50 Hertz/220/240V and shipping one not cheap. Pioneer did make a decent Centrex line model or two, and the best ones had a metal platter, BSR changer with a counterweight, anti-skating, and a ADC magnetic cartridge. And had one of the high end models which got sold here like the pictured one, but different. It's very scarce as it was very expensive new, and few were sold.

11. rmoreau61

rmoreau61 Active Member

KLH 20 series systems are nice. Wood veneer not vinyl. Good internal electronics. Not terrible Garrard changer. I picked one up in the past year from an online electronics recycler for under 30 bucks. Paired up with KLH 20 series 15 dollar thrift finds and quite a nice little system. Just needed a new needle and some polishing. At the price, who cares if the cat sits on it?

Attached Files:

red 111 and ChicagoTom like this.
  12. Nashou66

Nashou66 AK Subscriber Subscriber

What about B & O 7000 or 7002 etc?

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  13. Stay Puft

Stay Puft New Member

Here in Oz a popular all in one is the HMV Monaco. Many quality units can still be found, great little portable unit takes up very little space. Has a brass handle you can take to your next party :)
    IMG_20161103_212242.jpg

14. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

They're just as much junk as a Crosley. $250 new barely buys you a modern competent turntable today, and $250 didn't buy a decent all in one in 1975 either. A decent KLH compact cost that in 1965 money. And without FM either.

15. vwestlife

vwestlife Active Member

In the '50s and '60s Califone had some very industrial-looking phonographs with a tube amplifier, direct drive (long before Technics invented it :)), a stroboscope, continuously variable speed adjustment, a strange cantilevered headshell, and a tonearm long enough to play 16-inch transcription records:

16. RobRoy

RobRoy It's just stuff - but fun

Those old ones were not really any better than a Crosley, except for the bass coming from the speaker.

The main issue I have with crosley is that they damage your records. If it were not for that, I'd have no problem with them. I wouldn't want one, but I suspect a lot of people could find a use for an all-in-one that treated your records like a good u-turn would treat them.

Problem is that there is not really a market for what you are talking about. It means you will almost certainly have to improvise. I have an old JVC tube shaped boom box that has amazing sound. I use it as an amplifier for my bass at acoustic gigs. It also has a line in which I can use to plug in my Audio Technica lp-120 usb. And again, it sounds awesome. Clean sound, good volume and DEEP bass.

But that is two parts and if you total up the price of the two items if purchased new you are looking at about $800.

17. revox-b77

revox-b77 Super Member

I would be looking for a used KLH all in one. Recap and seal the speakers, clean/ deoxit pots, new stylus and you would be good to go. I picked up a working one for 20 bucks over the summer.

18. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Relatively common in Europe were decent all-in-ones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. vwestlife

vwestlife Active Member

He specifically mentioned the Crosley Collegiate, which uses an Audio-Technica AT3600 magnetic cartridge and has an adjustable counterweight.

[​IMG]

In fact, the majority of Crosley's lineup of all-in-one models have magnetic cartridges. But alas, the cheap Cruiser is what sells best, and gives Crosley their bad reputation.

20. RobRoy

RobRoy It's just stuff - but fun

Well then, that is what he should be getting.

I did not think ANY of the Crosley all-in-one's had a MM cartridge, much less, an adjustable counterweight.