are there any good all in one turntables?

Those were NOT direct drive. They were IDLER drive.

Not to mention the cheaper models in this Newcomb and Califone transcription player line had the abominable klutz of a 3 volt Astatic 89T, not something suited for modern records, the higher end version did have the GE VR II installed which was a lot better. But still not suited for Stereo. The GE VR II equipped Newcomb transcription player is nice for mono. The best of the school phonos otherwise is a VM (The Voice Of Music) save for the cheapest 89T equipped model. Those used a manual version of the VM 1200 series changer, usually had Euphonics ceramic cartridges installed, tracked around 3 grams and weren't brutal on records in good order. The VM players are very good, much better sounding than most every Califone and all but the high end Newcombs.

Not to mention the cheaper models in this Newcomb and Califone transcription player line had the abominable klutz of a 3 volt Astatic 89T, not something suited for modern records, the higher end version did have the GE VR II installed which was a lot better. But still not suited for Stereo. The GE VR II equipped Newcomb transcription player is nice for mono. The best of the school phonos otherwise is a VM (The Voice Of Music) save for the cheapest 89T equipped model. Those used a manual version of the VM 1200 series changer, usually had Euphonics ceramic cartridges installed, tracked around 3 grams and weren't brutal on records in good order. The VM players are very good, much better sounding than most every Califone and all but the high end Newcombs.
I actually have a Voice of Music model 216AV school phono, and it isn't too bad. It has the Euphonics ceramic cartridge, not the 89t(urd). It needs a lube job and general going over, and I've been thinking about upgrading it to use a Pickering V15, since I have a few spares laying around, and hiding a small preamp inside the case. That should turn it into a half way decent performing portable I think.

I actually have a Voice of Music model 216AV school phono, and it isn't too bad. It has the Euphonics ceramic cartridge, not the 89t(urd). It needs a lube job and general going over, and I've been thinking about upgrading it to use a Pickering V15, since I have a few spares laying around, and hiding a small preamp inside the case. That should turn it into a half way decent performing portable I think.

Does it have a 1/2" Mount?. Some of the VM older models did. I would get it cleaned, lubed, and operational first. And get a good stylus on it. The Euphonics cartridge is decent, tracks at 3 grams. If you have the 1/2" mount, you could get away with a magnetic and a preamp (but bear in mind this is a 2 pole motor, many magnetics may well have hum issues). These are very good sounding phonos by school phono and all in one standards.

Does it have a 1/2" Mount?. Some of the VM older models did. I would get it cleaned, lubed, and operational first. And get a good stylus on it. The Euphonics cartridge is decent, tracks at 3 grams. If you have the 1/2" mount, you could get away with a magnetic and a preamp (but bear in mind this is a 2 pole motor, many magnetics may well have hum issues). These are very good sounding phonos by school phono and all in one standards.
Yes, it is 1/2" mount. I did put a NOS stylus on it when I first bought it.

I'd hunt down one of the Shure cartridges they made with extra shielding for 2 pole turntables, which were M 75 based, the Jico conical would be nice here. The N75-6.

This isn't an all in one system but it's a pretty small system. Pioneer Series 3000 mini system. The turntable pops up on ebay every so often as does the cassette deck. The tuner, integrated amp, and receiver not as much anymore. From the late 70's, small footprint and sounds awesome for no bigger than it is. This one is sitting one end of my bedroom dresser to give you an idea of how big it is.

Actually there is a tuner and integrated amp on ebay with a pretty resonable BIN price right now.

View attachment 1001325
Looks like some duplication. He'll only need the receiver OR the amp and tuner combo.

If you need 'compact'., consider a SL-5 Technics "Close n Play" turntable with a small receiver and whatever speakers you have room for. There are lots of threads on small, great sounding speakers, and although placing a turntable on top of your receiver is often frowned upon, it's not the end of the world. Just remember that the smaller the speaker system, the harder it will be to get convincing bass. Consider hanging your speakers from the ceiling...you can make rope hangars easily enough. If you're looking at a small receiver, you're looking at small power ratings, and efficient speakers give you the most bang for your buck in that regard. Cerwin Vegas have long been known for being an efficient (i.e. "Loud") speaker, so you get a lot of volume out of not much power. EV's and JBL's are usually good in this regard too.

Also consider the Technics line of P-mount direct drive turntables from the early 80's. They're plentiful and inexpensive.

In short, there really isn't a good 'all in one' solution, but there are space saving solutions....which is your real problem. It can be solved.

If you want a really awesome-sounding all-in-one record player:

And it was expensive new, uncommon, and has the heavy tracking force issue, and not suited for Stereo or late mono discs. A nice antique, the price won't be $250 restored either. It's nice but modern records very not recommended. A restoration will cost $250 alone. Labor and parts for antique electronics not cheap. Especially for those who must make a living and warranty said record player to the customer.

Back
Top Bottom