Are there Resemblances in sansui series like AU with DB series

quadklipsh

Hi sansui folks.
I wondered if Al the models of a series of sansui like au 555. Au 777. Au999 have a similar Sonic signature. And they must differ from the older series and newer ones for sure.
Are the au similar to the aux or db series?

I can't speak for the DB receivers as I have never owned one. Note that the AU-222, AU-555, AU-555A/AU-505, AU777 use an older main amp design with capacitor coupled outputs (as do all of the older receivers from the same era), where as the AU-666, AU-888 & AU-999 use a newer design and do away with the output coupling caps. The cap-coupled amps from sansui tend to have particular sound, particularly with bass.... I don't know if it is due to the circuit, or just the way the voiced them. The 666, 888 and 999, are still sansui, and similar sounding, but lose a bit of warmth, but gain a bit of clarity/detail.

I hear the DB series are more cold/clinical than any of these older amps, but I've never heard one, and there are many here who love there DB. I suspect they all sound like 'sansui' but are obviously/audibly different.

So how does sansui bring out the "Sansui sound" ........when they all used similar transistors, capacitors and resistors in pioneer technics marantz etc.

There are some threads where they talk about the Sansui Sound...I think a lot has to do with the power supplies.

Sansui got started by making transformers and Sansui Transformers has a distinguished sound to it, that's how you separate them, at least that's how I understand it.

Is the circuit design thing responsible for the difference between sansui and say conrad johnson, krells and audio notes

Is the circuit design thing responsible for the difference between sansui and say conrad johnson, krells and audio notes

Yes, it is responsible for the most significant proportion of sound quality differences between different amplifiers.

Differences in the design, size and quality of the power supply, preamp and power amp stages contribute to the sonic signature of any given amp.

I'd also wager that the higher you get up the foodchain, the gear is (generally) more robustly designed with power supplies and output stage designs that can often drive very low impedances. This provides greater control and stability and allows the amp to sound the same regardless of the load presented to it (i.ei the amp never runs out of puff). Lesser amps will often struggle with more demanding loads. This is not always obvious until you hear those demanding loads driven by a more competent amp... it's amazing how things can sound OK when realistically the result is less than optimal.

Designers also tweak the circuit design to obtain the desired sonic signature.

The quality of the components used within does play a role, but it's the icing on the proverbial cake IMHO - fine-tuning the sound. You can throw the best components at a less than optimal design and it will sound worse than an optimised design with good quality, standard components.

Back
Top Bottom