Are these "nikka" speakers really "Nikko"

biscuithead

Me likes the eargasm retroplasm...
upload_2017-4-25_9-2-58.png upload_2017-4-25_9-3-48.png

Any info on these?

I've obviously heard of Nikko, but these do look like they say Nikka.... Are these long lost gems? or just meh.

Edit: Maybe these are early Mitsubishi ... ?
Chiyoda?

Yes It looks like these may have been made by Chiyoda Electronic Co., Ltd in Japan. There is a brief thread here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....nything-about-nikka-castagna-speakers.515075/
From what I can speculate looks like Castagna was a Brooklyn based Electronics company that perhaps may have imported Nikka and included their name on them at some point after yours were made. The scant information I can find on yours looks like they may be early 60s vintage. In any event they are probably very efficient, would be interesting to have a listen.

You all are awesome!
These are on our local CL. I might pick them up... I've never been let down by Mitsubishi, when acquired on the cheap.

Looks like Chiyoda still exists as a company, although in common Japanese business fashion seems to be involved in all sorts of industries, chemicals, fuels, pharmaceuticals, metals, etc....

I always thought it amusing that Yamaha makes such an enormous variety of things. Pianos and guitars, motorcycles, audio electronics and speakers, skis, tennis raquets, and so much more. I wonder if employees get discounts and free demo gear?

I always thought it amusing that Yamaha makes such an enormous variety of things. Pianos and guitars, motorcycles, audio electronics and speakers, skis, tennis raquets, and so much more. I wonder if employees get discounts and free demo gear?
I be they do! I used to know someone who did some contract work with Onkyo and they used to have a friends and family day that you could go in and get brand new product for cost. Went once with him and it was pretty cool.
Yes, Yamaha is a good example of a large Japanese conglomerate. A good friend of mine that I used to work with lived in Japan for nearly a decade teaching English. He always gave me lot's of insights into their culture and way of life. One thing that always stuck with me was when he told me they were masters at taking ideas for things that they may have not originally developed and perfecting them.

Castagna sold a tonearm in the early sixties that looks very much like it was used in an updated version by Sao Win on his very high end table.

Back
Top Bottom