Are these vintage speakers worth saving?

IanMcI

I bought a couple of speaker cabinets, hoping to find something special inside, but the drivers look pretty mundane.

12", very light, paper surround (one-piece cone/surround). Good condition (as far as I can tell).

No identifying marks other than: 907(?) on magnet (partial number); 285030 4 on basket; RAYK1 on cone.

Mid sixties, I think, as they were with a Fisher KX-200, which is from the mid-sixties, I believe.

Cabinets look home-built by a competent audio-enthusiast (the Fisher is the KX-200 with the K designating kit).

I'm wondering what speakers like this were meant to do. Small magnet, small voice coil.

I bought these knowing that the drivers might not be anything special, but thought the cabs might work well for some vintage Jensens I have lying around.

Ian
SF Bay Area

https://imgur.com/gallery/Qy8r5

Sometimes those "old" speakers can be remarkably sensitive. I went through several pairs that I found in old organs and consoles and some performed very well.

I've got 2 pairs of old Heppner speakers that I use in my main system.

Give them a listen.

Also... speakers like that can be sold on eBay. I've done it a lot.

I've sent many console pulls over to guys building/modding guitar amps and looking to try something different. Those are different.

Agree with soundmotor, I sold many that way. Even had a manufacturer buy several to experiment with.

Well, thank you all for the input and insight. It may be their worth can be counted in AudioKarma replies.

I'm not sure what I'll do with them - no doubt put them on a shelf until something suggests itself. In the meantime, I may install those Jensens, just to have said I did; they've been pegged as candidates for open-back speakers.

I've picked up a Fisher KX-200 that will need attention and I will ultimately want to find an appropriate set of speakers.

Ian
SF Bay Area

Back
Top Bottom