Are These Worth Repairing??

Andyman said:
I'm with Gordon. I've done a dozen or so of these.

Get some 8" surrounds from MAT as they're like a buck apiece. Might as well get some 10"s too. MAT does have a $25 min, but you never know when some Advents may come your way!

Andy, Are the MAT surrounds for flat or tapered cone attachments?

vintagestereo,
Take the woofer out of the cabinet and send it to GordonW or Toasted Almond if you don't want to fix it on your own. Edit your join date and put in your location so I no where to go for more curb side shopping. Have fun with the project......

vintage_silver said:
vintagestereo,
Take the woofer out of the cabinet and send it to GordonW or Toasted Almond if you don't want to fix it on your own. Edit your join date and put in your location so I no where to go for more curb side shopping. Have fun with the project......

That's EXACTLY what I'm gonna do! BOTH woofers. I just closed a couple of E-Bay auctions for some Marantz receivers today....so I'll take all the stuff in tomorrow to Fed Ex for shipping. GordonW has given me all the info. I need to get going. Should be an interesting adventure. I'll keep you all posted!! Who knew it would end up like ths?!?!?!?!?

well, I suppose everybody knew, but you! Then again, we have seen it happen to our own selves, and everybody who came along after us. That is why we meet here! Welcome to the family. :banana:

ps. next time you see an 8" woofer lying around, discarded, snatch it up, and take it home. I'll send you an 8" surround and you can try your hand at refoaming. We'll talk you through it, it'll be fun.

luvvinvinyl said:
ps. next time you see an 8" woofer lying around, discarded, snatch it up, and take it home. I'll send you an 8" surround and you can try your hand at refoaming. We'll talk you through it, it'll be fun.

lv -- I see plenty at the local thrifts and will take you up on your GENEROUS offer!
:D

Any precautions I need to follow when removing and shipping the woofers today?

Woofers Are Out And Ready To Go!

OK -- the woofs are out and they'll be on their way to Gordon's today. You guys were so right. Even though one of the surrounds looked intact, it disintegrated as soon as the woofer was removed. It looks like an owner already replaced one of the woofers, 'cuz it has a price tag for $36.00 on it! It's dated 1982 and the other woofer is dated 1978. The magnets and baskets look about the same with the exception that the older one has 8 screw holes and the new one has only 4. Guess that's just they way things went........

I'd love to see what Grumpy's tweeters look like to see if they match either of the one's I've got.

VS, a good way to ship pairs of speakers is to use tywraps or machine screws to mate them face to face. If there is only one, cut a sheet of cardboard and cover the come in the same way.

Bubble pack them well, or use spray packing foam in plastic bags to fill the box around them. If they are very heavy, (not in this case) you might want to double box, but I'd reserve that for the bigger heavy speakers.

outlawmws said:
VS, a good way to ship pairs of speakers is to use tywraps or machine screws to mate them face to face. If there is only one, cut a sheet of cardboard and cover the come in the same way.

Bubble pack them well, or use spray packing foam in plastic bags to fill the box around them. If they are very heavy, (not in this case) you might want to double box, but I'd reserve that for the bigger heavy speakers.

DANG!!! I'm so glad you mentioned that!!! GREAT IDEA!!!! I'm sending both, so that's EXACTLY what I'll do. "And the two shall become as one...." I guess this is a marriage of convenience.....or is it of necessity? Anyway....this is fun!!
:thmbsp:

Last edited:
The woofers should be arriving any day now. Maybe once Gordon gets to them, he can post some pics and show us how he works his magic.......

Last edited:
VS, got the envelope today in the mail... hopefully the box with the drivers will show up here in the next few days.

Regards,
Gordon.

EPI 100s

i concur with everybody else. Last fall I found a pair of EPI 100Vs on the curb on recycling day, very similar to yours but with wood-grained vinyl veneer, VERY beat-up cabinets, foam shot on the woofers. I hung on to 'em for awhile, finally shelled out $20 for the Humanspeakers refoaming kit - and WOW - they have become my favorite speakers, cosmetic challenges notwithstanding. The refoaming is very easy, the kit comes with all the instructional help you'll need, and the results are amazing. While I was at it I replaced the crossover caps, a very simple operation as well that to my ears cleaned up the upper register a bit.

By all means, these are keepers!

Re-Foaming Completed

Hi. Just heard from GordonW and the refoaming is done and turned out PERFECTLY!!!! The woofs should be on their way back to me soon. I CAN HARDLY wait. I'm going to A/B the EPIs against the best stuff I've got and give you a full review. Photos to follow.

GORDONW -- THANKS A MILLION!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom