Are "vintage" DACs worthwhile, or is this a tech that does not age well?

Same here. I didn't notice the K till I read your post. 85K fer a Dac upsets the universe.
A half billion people in the world don't even have water. (or they do, but it's making them sick).
Just a reality check.
I'll shut-up now.

Same here. I didn't notice the K till I read your post. 85K fer a Dac upsets the universe.
A half billion people in the world don't even have water. (or they do, but it's making them sick).
Just a reality check.
I'll shut-up now.
Just like a Rolex, I agree it's a bit over the top. I only used it to point out the fact that if you have money, the answer to the OPs question is Yes, there is a big difference.

For sure, Hyfi, big difference. And even tho I feel the cost of such items is ludicrous; I'd still love the heard the damn thing.
Being and audiophile, does bend ones principles at times.

Dave

I wonder how much of a difference though. Once you get to a certain price point I would think your 99.9% of the way to the top. Kind of like speaker cables and interconnects. I think there is way to much BS in the upper end of this hobby.
I would not trust reviews of a product like this either if they advertise in the same magazine as the review.
I've never had a hobby where there is so much snake oil and sales BS thrown around. Kind of puts me off.

BillWojo

For Red Book CD the best vintage DAC's are very competitive with high-end modern DAC's.

I bought a dCS Debussy to use with an Esoteric P-2 transport and was curious how it would compare to my best vintage digital source, a circa 1987 Yamaha
CDX-10000 CD player. They are virtually indistinguishable.

Last edited:
Yeah, that could be it. My 18 y/o MF A3/24 dac makes my CDs sound fabulous, but any streaming I've tried thru my MF V-link to dac, has been disappointing.
It looks like I'm gonna hafta start saving up for a used Linn Klimax DSM/2 or3 if I really want to enjoy any streamed hi-rez files.
So, could be a while ....

That's great, slow_jazz! I do the same kind of cost-cutting-but-it-works-great, things.
I've actually got tennis balls under my Kefs as I test out the effects of isolation. They
are having a substantial affect, but I'm sure that Vibrapods would be better.

This is vintage and is also very worthwhile. Most still get to play “catch up”, and may for a while as we search for a standard and have to build “do it all” machines now. I think Saggy hit it above. These DAC’s were designed with one standard in mind at a time when hundreds of millions of albums in said format were selling per year. Money was aplenty, more than enough to pay for top talent to work on perfecting the 16/44.1 machines.
33AAB178-4CF7-49D3-8173-EE4D968E007B.jpeg 5484050B-B8B9-4130-B7F1-98F0630CEB2E.jpeg 759BF856-CC9C-4474-B554-FE6B64524AF5.jpeg

I should post some pics of my Marantz CD12/DA12LE two box unit. 500 built. $6K in 1991.

Die-cast copper plated chassis, three toroidal transformers just in the D/A converter and 14kg weight.

Transport is CDM-1 in copper plated die cast chassis and around 12kg.

Even the windows over the VFD displays are bevelled edge glass.

I can just say from experience that my modern DAC has nearly no effect on my vintage CD player but makes my streaming device sound better than any entry-level turntable.

So the thought that they’re built differently today than long ago seemed to make tangible sense to me.

It is simply my own advice, but when buying a DAC for use in a modern streaming system it’s best to get something made in the last 5 years, or, ideally, more recently.

Thanks for the excellent first-hand info, guys. I was wondering about the same things that the OP was, cuz my vintage Dac makes my CDs sound great.
I'll find a good price on a current Dac/Streamer at some point.
Thanks.

Dave

@bimasta
I just meant that even tho I truly believe that purchasing a 80k Dac would seem bordering on vulgar to me, I'd still really like to hear the damn thing. Whereas, being an audiophile, an 80k Dac is definitely something I would normally be lusting for. Thats the Aphile related bending of principles.
It certainly doesn't matter tho, I'm ok with you calling it something else that's from your perspective.

Dave

I prefer the older DACs circa late 80's to the late 90's. Back when they were used for CD playback, or maybe a laserdisc and on rare occasions, DAT. (Probably because I prefer the era to nowadays).
Picked up a Musical Design DAC-1A20 six months ago. Twenty years old and sounds fantastic with CDs.
A "vintage" DAC can provide superb CD playback if it's working properly.
If anyone owns one of those $85K DACs, please post some pics of the inside so we can see the freakin' gold bars they used for the chassis. Wouldn't it be funny if the analog section employed off the shelf ICs?

Last edited:
I have a parasound dac 2000. Nobody wanted the thing as it was considered a dinosaur so I ended up paying I think $80. It was totl from parasound back in the day. 20 bit at 48 khz max which is out dated by today's terms. Using it for my xbox as its 44.1 at 16 bit. Decodes just fine and I once a/b against a cambridge dac magic 100 with a flick of a switch. Could barely tell a difference. Tried a few different tracks etc. The major difference is the parasound has slightly higher out put. Then of course way more through balanced output. A good dac from back in the 90s should hold up today that's if your not trying to give it a high amount bits or expect over 48khz

Last edited:
Looking back on what I said maybe if I had a totl modern dac and ran it against the parasound. Then just maybe it would sound dated or even the same.

Dont make the mistake of buying one of those fiio tashan? It was a complete waste of $40 one of the worst sounding dacs I ever bought. But then again it is a budget product and I was expecting to much from it. Think it ended up in the donate pile for gw. The fiio is new is it upposed to be better because of advancements in technology? Rant rant rant

Still all of these older dacs are cheap to pick up as everyone wants the latest and greatest toy's.

I can say that I have a nice DAC at home and if someone is in the NYC area and wants to hear it just let me know. I am not planning on heading to the Fest in mid-september but I wouldn't be against someone bringing it up with them, as long as they pick it up and drop it off at my house. Maybe I'll post it on that thread...

Back
Top Bottom