Are we ever really happy with our gear?

Mmmmmm.....toys.

Tell me about it. Some pics of my other toys.

GREAT TOYS!!!
My son and I were just hashing over with which body style of Chevy was our favorite and that model type was in the fight......too bad that Jag and bike are soooo ugly to the point of "having to get rid of"? (Wanna trade for some gear?)

I'm very content with my (all SS) system. I find it amusing that some people have to let others know that they've moved "up" to a tube system.

I agree. I don't have anything against tubes and don't have much experience with them. I just feel that it's not about tube vs ss, but rather about finding the right amp/speaker combo.

Happy but it took some effort. There is a saying in the mobile audiophile community that tuning and installation are 90% of the formula for sound quality. You cannot have great car stereo sound without knowing how to use RTA software and a powerful DSP with L/R 1/3 octave EQ and time alignment. Before I realized this I was swapping stuff out until I got "the best" and it still sounded worse than stock.
I applied the same principals in my home system (RTA measuring and proper use of a pro L/R 32 band EQ).
I spent the last (2) days working from home and playing lots of music. My system sounds phenomenal yet with upper mid fi components.
I wonder how many of us swap out hardware because of room / frequency response issues, that if we could measure and fix the response peaks, would we have been happy?
Besides that, I still could use some more power and I definitely want to sample what good value tube amplification can do.

I'm really happy with my gear, I have some pieces I will not sell (unless I'm forced to). With what I have at home right now, I could probably build 3-4 complete systems I would be happy with and not need to upgrade anymore.

Doesn't stop me from buying more gear out of curiosity. New toys are fun!

I've just spent a lazy Sunday starting by spinning some vinyl, followed by more than a handful of cd's through the system. Dogs stayed by my side most of the day chilling. Watched golf & basketball with TV sound muted, got up to change over laundry, take said doggies outside a couple times - but mostly it was spent perusing this site, keeping tabs on the games, hanging with the mutts and enjoying said system. Now switching to headphones so as not to disturb my better half and continue the run of cd's. I hate our weather, but I will always like my stereo and days like today remind me how much.

2014 OLD THREAD.

Mostly yes....

Being in my late 40's now, I just want to enjoy listening to music. As long as I have a good hi-fi setup I am happy. I don't worry about cables, spikes and other doo-dads. The only upgrades I would want would be that "one" killer silverface recapped reciever and a semi-auto or full auto direct drive turntable. I plan on recapping my Infinity crossovers someday or maybe replace them if a deal shows up on CL when I have cash.

But otherwise, I am happy with what I have so I can enjoy vinyl records again.

Took the words right out of my brain. I was there just a year ago in the same predicament. I'm dialed in now. Hope you are too in 2017!

I guess I'm grateful that I cannot identify with that. My tastes are simple, I am easily amused, I like things without needing to have the best.

I am glad that there are people who are never satisfied; they are the ones who drive manufacturing and R&D to new heights, in areas like computers, audio gear, and photography; and I am one of the beneficiaries of that drive, albeit years down the road as the once cutting edge equipment becomes mundane and middle-of-the-road (and affordable).

But I'm just not in constant turmoil, searching for the next mountain to climb.

What I find somewhat interesting is that those who are in such a state seem to have no ability to recognize that others are not. They assume everyone is just like they are. Those of us who are, shall I say, more 'laid back' are well aware that there are those who must race ahead. You guys go on, we'll catch up later; or not. :D

There it is & well said. You touched on so many things that were said right.
My current set up a Marantz 2500 paired with Klipsch Belle's offer amazing sound so I don't see needing to upgrade anytime soon due to dissatisfaction. Not sure my set up qualifies as simple yet I know there are people out there with turntables that cost more than my rig.
Bottom line. At this time in my life I'm set. As I write my wife, daughter and boxer are sitting in the living room relaxing listening to jazz. That's a good indicator if you have the right set up. It should attract people.

At one time, I had a 2-channel system that cost well in excess of $50K. Seemed like all I did was wring my hands about what new tweak was next on the horizon to make it better. There had to be something out there to make it sound better, right? Also, I was in the phase of listening to audiophile-approved recordings as these showcased just how good my system could sound. Nevermind most the music I had grown up listening to, it just wasn't recorded well enough to justify listening to.

Nowadays, I am well past that. Today, I listen to pretty much all types of music (except rap, hip-hop, and country). I still throw on some really good recording once in a while. I don't have audiophilia nervosa anymore. I still enjoy the heck out of looking at the the wanteds like Barter Town, USAM, CAM, the 'Gon, etc. but don't obsess over things like I used to. I enjoy my music so much more and am content with the equipment I have too. Except for trying to find a damn power amp that doesn't arrive DOA at my place!!!

I'm a lot happier with my system than the room it's housed in. An open asymmetrical floor plan in a place I don't own is never going to sound very good and I can't really do modifications to make it better.
As it sits my system sounds very nice in the highs and mids but most of my bass is near the front door or in the kitchen rather than in my listening position.

Only momentarily. I looked back at what I posted on this thread over two years ago and nothing has changed. But for me the only constant is change.

Love my system today but tomorrow I'll probably experiment and try something different ( maybe better maybe not ).

I believe audio happiness is like happiness in life. It's more about the journey than the destination.

I'm pretty happy with my gear at this point. Of course if something really neat comes along I may have to give it a try, especially speakers (I have speaker gather-itis...)

Next project is a dedicated listening room so I don't have to bother the rest of the house.

I also have a couple speaker projects, but those are for fun not because I don't like what I have.

I probably made the same "mistake" a lot of people do. I bought several pieces of OK gear and then moved up the chain to decent Mid-Fi where I am now. I should have just waited, done more research, and bought better gear up front.

I WAS happy, until my Mitsubishi DA-R35 died and was unable to be resurrected (long story - it now resides semi-permanently at the repair shop). Now, as I look around, I have all the elements needed to put together another system that will make me completely happy, but indecision has taken over. I suppose I'll figure it out, eventually. There're worse problems to have.

I bought some European spec equipment while staitioned overseas and have enjoy the sound even more after tweeking the system to get the best possible sound out of the system. I'll probably end up bring it up several more notches when I have everything rebuilt with high grade German internal components. But, prior to buying my present system I had bought and sold off equipment just as soon as better was for sale. That was prior to 1983, then while staitioned in Germany in the early nineties I found something even better than I ever had before and greatly underrated....call it kismet !!

i am happy with my equipment,happy enuff that i am not buying atm, and trying to sell [tho summer is the wrong time around here]
i am not happy about speaker placement, i know it could be way better but i am not the only one living here.
and considering the amount of stuff i have both set up and stored,without her complaining. i cant afford to push.

so next, if i ever find the money will be mini dsp and a good mic

Back
Top Bottom