Are we ever really happy with our gear?

I am basically satisfied with the main gear I have but will continue to do minor upgrades. My wife has come to accept the 5 cu ft speakers are staying, but I really want subs now as the original 15's that are in there are of old skool design and were never made to play deep down. That will probably be the last thing I address but with so many many different opinions, and the costs of getting heavy subs here, it will be a while before I can add this piece to it. In the mean time, I mostly enjoy the hell out of my rig, with the exception of the lowest 100hz.I just try not to focus on its shortcomings.

Happier now than 2 yrs ago... That is positive progress !

Altho have new gears coming today so I may be a hypocrite :cool:

Im pretty happy with mine. I am still working on what speakers to use with my main system. But thats just some swapping speakers I have and giving them a good long listen. I'm pretty much done tube rolling also. Its nice to get to that point and spend money on more music. And tinkering with the occasional amp or speaker build for fun. :thumbsup:

A thought: Does the future of the audio equipment business depend on our continual dissatisfaction? By its nature it is one of the most durable of goods we can buy, and if we all become satisfied with our existing stuff what will the manufacturers do? If we are all satisfied, end of story.. What they will do is what they have always done, continue to pay (indirectly) for magazine writers to publish flowery amazing reviews of the latest and greatest, and we readers will read it and say hey? My stereo doesn't sound THAT good, and off to the hi end store they go.. Do they get a better sounding rig, yes, if they listened well. Were they "satisfied" before they read the articles? Probably.. We are all pretty much satisfied I think when we are just immersed in great music. It is only when we start focusing on shortcomings, usually after reading the reviews, or listening to some other stuff that dissatisfaction creeps in.

Don't forget Samuel Johnson once said ...

“Sir, when a man is tired of audio upgrades, he is tired of life; for there is in stereo upgrades all that life can afford.”

22191.jpg

:idea: ... or was he referring to London instead ...:dunno: it was one of those two.

“Quotes on the Internet are not always accurate.”—Abraham Lincoln

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom