Arkay's Yamaha GT 2000 Social Group.

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by theophile, Sep 4, 2009.

1. OMGCat!

OMGCat! AK Subscriber Subscriber

For those using the standard head shell, what wires are you using? It seems that the pins are tiny compared to the usual aftermarket shells that have the same size pins as carts. I'm using the factory wiring on the head shell for my YPD-71 which seems to have the same tiny pins. I just picked up a GT-2000 head shell, sans wiring, to use for an MC cart that I haven't picked out yet and will eventually need something to connect the two up.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

I've been planning for a while to get a base for my GT-2000, to add additional mass using a dissimilar material to the hardwood the rack is constructed of, with the goal being to provide additional isolation.

I had a local stone & monument company cut a 3cm slab of taconite 635mm x 495mm for the base which weighs slightly over 31kg. I love it!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 2:49 AM
    808_state likes this.
  3. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

It looks like a gorgeous piece of stone. How does it affect the sound?

4. Mark B

I've been playing albums all evening and it sounds excellent, but then it sounded excellent before. I think precisely how the base affects the sound will remain academic as I have no feasible method to do an A/B comparison.

5. Mark B

This is the slab of taconite that the base was cut from. The main reddish figure is hidden under the turntable.

Attached Files:

6. theophile

Wow. That is so beautiful that you could frame it as a stand alone work of art. Just spectacular.

7. theophile

I wouldn't believe anyone who said that they didn't like the GT 2000. It doesn't bring you the music, it grabs you and abducts you into the music.

8. Duffinator

Duffinator Spin The Black Circle

I need an additional weight and this looks like a good candidate. How long did it take to arrive from Budapest? I'm going to give my current 1.2 lb SS weight to my son for use on a Pioneer PL-630 TT he's now using. We did an A/B test last night with the weight and no weight and we were both surprised by the noticeable difference in the bass response.

9. Mark B

Ordered July 29th / delivered August 7th.

Interesting - so I wasn't imagining improved bass response.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 8:09 PM
  10. Mark B

I was so anxious to get my new TT base installed that I neglected to take pictures of it before the GT-2000 was covering most of it.

That has been remedied for your enjoyment. Oh yes, I also got a base for the phono stage.

image3-12.JPG image2-22.JPG

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 7:59 PM
  11. theophile

Is there anything beneath the taconite(sounds like a night time special at a mexican restaurant) slabs.

Duffinator likes this.

12. Mark B

That's funny. Yes, there's cork on the underside of the taconite base.

The pronunciation is tack-uh-night.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 3:02 AM
    808_state likes this.
  13. ateal

ateal Well-Known Member

I love the sound of this cartridge as it simply does everything right, tone, detail retrieval, bass slam, flat frequency, imaging, soundstage, musicality, etc, etc.

The only cart that is its equal to this one (on this table) is my Moving Magnet AT ML180 with AT 150 stylus.

For reference I have bought and sold many well respected new and vintage cartridges over the past 18 months in an endeavor to find the best cartridge for this wonderful table. I now believe I have two outstanding cartridges that perfectly match this table and give me the best sound that suits my taste.

The cartridges I have compared over the past 18 months that have all lost out to the PMC1 and AT ML180 have been as follows.

Fidelity Research FR1 MK3F

Ortofon SPU Classic GM MKII

Monster Alpha Genesis 1000

Glanz MFG 610LX

Grace F10L

Grace Level II RC

Spectral Reference

Audio Technica AT OC9 III

Supex SD 901

I should probably point out that the Spectral Reference is the best cartridge of all but that is better suited to my Oracle Delphi for some reason.

808_state and Duffinator like this.