Armstrong Takes His Fourth Tour Title!

akshobhyavajra

07.28.2002 - Armstrong Takes His Fourth Tour Title!

Lance Armstrong finished the 89th Tour with an average speed of 39.919kph (24.749mph) - the fourth fastest Tour in history. His final lead over Joseba Beloki is 7'17". Lance has become the first American to win the Tour four times in a row - an incredible achievement!

The top 10 overall are:

1. Lance Armstrong (US Postal Service) 3,277.5km in 82h05'12"
2. Joseba Beloki (ONCE-Eroski) at 7'17"
3. Raimondas Rumsas (Lampre-Daikin) at 8'17"
4. Santiago Botero (Kelme-Costa Blanca) at 13'10"
5. Igor Gonzalez de Galdeano (ONCE-Eroksi) at 13'54"
6. Jose Azevedo (ONCE-Eroski) at 15'44"
7. Francisco Mancebo (iBanesto.com) at 16'05"
8. Levi Leipheimer (Rabobank) at 17'11"
9. Roberto Heras (US Postal Service) at 17'12"
10. Carlos Sastre (CSC-Tiscali) at 19'05"

Favorite Armstrong Quote:

"Anything is possible. You can be told that you have a 90-percent chance or a 50-percent chance or a 1-percent chance, but you have to believe, and you have to fight."

TDF: http://www.letour.com/2002/us/index.html

There are police that patrol on bikes here in Dallas even during the summer! Pavement has to be hitting 150 Farenheight.
Bicycle guys are crazy!!
Thatch

I have read his book, which describes his battle back from testicular cancer - what an inspiring read, and his deeds since only make me hold him in awe.

If there is one athletic endeavor that will find out any physical deficiency you have, it is surely cycling.

An amazing individual ...

Originally posted by Walt
I have read his book, which describes his battle back from testicular cancer - what an inspiring read, and his deeds since only make me hold him in awe.

If there is one athletic endeavor that will find out any physical deficiency you have, it is surely cycling.

An amazing individual ...

His book was an inspiration to me as well. I quit smoking, started out cycling 2 or 3 miles on a cheap Huffy - next thing you know I am riding 75 - 100 miles a week on a custom-built racing bike @ 20 mph... no speed record by far - but not bad for an older guy who used to smoke 2 - 3 packs of reds per day ;)

... and yes, Thatch - us bike guys are crazy - here is my little bicycle page:

http://www.geocities.com/akshobhyavajra/

Happy riding!

"Those who wish to control their own lives and move beyond existence as mere clients and consumers- those people ride a bike."

- Wolfgang Sachs

There is a nice little ride called Hell on the Red held around this time every year in Wichita Falls,Tx.......Those guys can not hold enough fluid to get through that. Crazy.....but everyone has at least one or two quirks. Congrats on the quitting smoking. Toughest habit in the world. Even dying with a bad heart it took me 5 years to stop for good. A couple of quotes on that. Twain-Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it hundreds of times.
Eisenhower was asked if he would ever smoke again after he quit---I don't know, but I will never quit again!
Thatch

Originally posted by Thatch_Ear
There is a nice little ride called Hell on the Red held around this time every year in Wichita Falls,Tx.......Those guys can not hold enough fluid to get through that. Crazy.....but everyone has at least one or two quirks. Congrats on the quitting smoking. Toughest habit in the world. Even dying with a bad heart it took me 5 years to stop for good. A couple of quotes on that. Twain-Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it hundreds of times.
Eisenhower was asked if he would ever smoke again after he quit---I don't know, but I will never quit again!
Thatch

Sounds like a tough ride. I've looked into a few of those, like Boston-Montreal-Boston - a 1200k Randonnée - and Ride Accross America - but I settled for a 120 mile ride here in South Florida called the "Lake Okeechobee Lark". I finished that last year and I may do it again this year... we'll see.

Thanks ref the quitting - guess I was ready - quit cold turkey and never looked back - don't miss it. Watched my dad die from emphysema... that was heartbreaking... but served as a tremendous motivator....

Well - onward and upward for us all :D

Yeah, biking can really get under the skin. Gotta admit I haven't ridden since I got Roxie the boxer. All the time I used to ride has gone into playtime with the pup. Those romps and LONG walks, and hours at the dog run are gone, now. This year she has very clearly become an old, old boxer (she's ten, now, which is old for boxers, typically mentioned as living 8-10 years).
I still think of my 1976 (got it the Bicentenial year!) Schwinn World Sport (not quite TOTL, but it was a WOW! to me) as the 'new' bike. Just up the alley and around the street is a local bike shop, a very popular bike shop here, and whew, are the bikes something else today. The guy also has a basset hound, Sophie, a year or two older than Roxie, and those two have gone from heavy-duty play to a nodding acquaintance. Sophie is the official greeter at the shop, when she's not visiting all the neighbors.

Originally posted by bully

I still think of my 1976 (got it the Bicentenial year!) Schwinn World Sport (not quite TOTL, but it was a WOW! to me) as the 'new' bike. Just up the alley and around the street is a local bike shop, a very popular bike shop here, and whew, are the bikes something else today. The guy also has a basset hound, Sophie, a year or two older than Roxie, and those two have gone from heavy-duty play to a nodding acquaintance. Sophie is the official greeter at the shop, when she's not visiting all the neighbors.

Hope you still have the bike - that's a classic now. Too bad Schwinn went out of business last year. I still have a 1997 Schwinn Peloton - Reynolds 853 Steel - but modified with carbon fiber fork and a nice Mavic Helium wheelset. Nothing like riding along an ocean highway while the sun is rising :)

I imagine taking a walk with Roxie is a lot of fun, too ;)

Gee, 10 years ago I was heavily into cycling as well. Even entered a few competitions but never really finished anywhere. I found out I wasn't a good hill climber (I'm a bit too heavy-set ... well now I'm VERY heavy-set!) so I gradually slipped out of it.

I had a Guerciotti frame (aluminium with huge lugs), and a full Campagnolo Athena groupset which was quite the thing at the time ... shifters were on the down tube (none of this new fangled shifting for me!). I built the thing from the ground-up myself and it was great fun! Cost me around equivalent of US $2,000 at the time which was getting up there for a bike back then ... sold it for, well $500 or so ... :(

Ah those were the days ... I can still remember the feeling of belting it up a hill and the searing feeling in the lungs and burning in the quads ... :)

I lived in a 350 year old town in Mass when I was in high school, actually only about 7 miles from the Old North Bridge in Concord. Cycling around those hilly curvy deer path roads with the granite columns with arrows and mi posted to Carlise etc sure was great. No competion but, almost as quiet as walking and being able to move past 200 year old barns, dairy farms and cranberry bogs, houses built so long in the past, it was truly the kind of thing one never forgets. The township I lived in was composed of 3 villages and even had a house from the 1650s. Not old for Europe but for the US a real historical place. The rock walls the Minute men hid behind to shoot the guys wearing targets are still there. I know I have been cynical, but riding a bike is something I haven't been able to do for over a decade. It does bring back memories.
OK guys.......first bike!
For my 4th birthday my Dad gave me a 16" English Racer. I don't know what brand but it had hand brakes and 3 speeds and was blue. That was 1960 and I started travelling!
Thatch

Back
Top Bottom