Army's next project, I have high hopes for these!

gonzothegreat said:
Did a bit of research on AK and the vintage Infinity site QUOTE]

Gonzo, what Infinity vintage site are you talking about? I have a pair of the 80's Infinity Modulus speaker system in the black laquer piano urishi finish. Beautiful speakers. But I cannot find 1 iota of anything on them on the net. I know everything I care to know about them, but I want more info. I have 2 versions of the outboard x-over box (version 1.0 and 1.1). One version also has a knob to adjust volume for the sub but on the inside there is no pot!! I want some more info on these, maybe someone here can help?

With a little luck tomorrow, just got the Emim's fixed, arrived this afternoon :thmbsp:

Finished up refoaming the Watkins woofers at noon today. If I had the time and energy, which I don't tonight, I'd post a pic of the Watkins. Damned impressive 12" woofer. The mag on those look to be about 6'' diameter :yes:

I'll keep you posted as time permits...

Can't wait to see how they compare to my AR-9LS's

Looks like I lucked out on timing. I look forward to hearing your take on the sound and definitely the comparison to the AR-9s. The Watkins is an even more impressive woofer in sound than looks when it gets going with enough juice. Be sure you have the pictures on the wall sticky-tacked down. :yes:

How'd you go about getting the EMIM fixed, out of curiosity?

- JP

Hi Guys

Well Echowars put the 2.5's back together for me yesterday in time to give them a workout with Retro's Spec 1 & 2 ( thanks again Glenn and Greg for all the help ) and they stold the show.

They hands down blow the AR-9LS's away IMO

And that's saying something, because the AR's are a very good speaker. I put the Infinities in my main system this morning, and the AR's went to the basement, till I find another big amp to drive them.

I'll try and do a review on the differences at a later date. I have too many things that need to be done, before I take a road trip for work tomorrow.

JP
I have a non AKer buddy that can fix just about any driver made. His specialty is Infinity speaks. If you want or need the hook up PM me I can give you his addy and info. He does beautiful work, very inexpensively :thmbsp:

Army said:
JP
I have a non AKer buddy that can fix just about any driver made. His specialty is Infinity speaks. If you want or need the hook up PM me I can give you his addy and info. He does beautiful work, very inexpensively :thmbsp:

So far, I've been lucky enough to not blow any of my EMITs just yet and not lucky enough to stumble across anything with EMIMs, working or not. I was curious because I was unaware of anyone doing such repairs quasi-commercially. My curiosity also stemmed from my desire to know in case someone else shows up with blown Infinity EMIMs/EMITs, so I could guide them to the right place. I guess I've adopted Infinities as one of my semi-specialties around here in providing assistance. So, if I encounter someone in need, I'll direct them to you.

The review should prove interesting and hopefully won't rile up any AR-9 supporters around too much. Wonder how the older Infinities lacking a planar midrange (like my Q2s with the domes) would fair in a head-to-head comparison with the AR-9s.

At any rate, glad to hear that they are working and do not disappoint.
- JP

bolly said:
I wonder how they'd do too. :naughty:

Hi Greg

I've been holding off on the review, for a couple of reasons. Lack of time would be the biggest. I need to hook the AR's back up and do some A/B'ing, to give each speaker a fair shake.

Here's the short story. The Infinities IMO are the most detailed speaker in every way I've ever owned. Crystal clear highs, excellent mids, and serious bottom end. Anything with strings sounds amazing, I'd swear they were in the same room with me.

Downside, whoever said they'd suck the life out of an Amp was spot on. My Sansui G-22000 at over 300 wpc into 4 ohm's gets the job done. But I'm giving some thought to biamping the 2.5's

More later...

PS if you can find a pair of these and have the power to drive them, buy them :thmbsp:

Forgot to mention something about these...

...they kick butt!!

The mids and highs, through the EMIM's and EMIT's sound a lot like the Heil AMT's, but even more open and airy, if that's possible. Bass goes very very low, but is not unnatural or heavy. That Watkins woofer is a serious damn woofer.

Only drawback is these suck power in a big way. Infinity does not give sensitivity specs, but I'd guess 82db/1W/1M tops, maybe lower. I also suspect that these are NOT the speakers to use to raise the roof with high SPL's, as the EMIM's were already blown and I'd bet that it was a case of someone trying to rock out, and that isn't what these were meant for. The EMIM's, and to a lesser extent, the EMIT's, are unobtanium, and I'd be scared of smoking 'em. Low sensitivity and low power handling (or unobtanium drivers) can be a bad combo for the uninhibited volume hand...

But if you don't get stupid with volume levels, these suckers sing. Got to be among the top three speakers I've ever heard.

EchoWars said:
But if you don't get stupid with volume levels, these suckers sing. Got to be among the top three speakers I've ever heard.
Well then, could someone please, please, pick up this pair and ask me to audition them? I can deliver to Spokane or Portland, just gimme a chance to play them a while. :naughty:

- JP

Back
Top Bottom