Around $1,000.00 ?

steelgtr

My Brother is looking for a decent TT to go with his Rotel/ B&W stereo rig.

His budget is around 1K. Looking here for ideas?

thx

bob

Find an old AR XA or XB that is in decent shape. Have AK's own Marc Morin do his full Monty on the table. If AVfan is still doing plinths, have him build one. Well within budget and the table will hang with tables in the 2,000 dollar range, IMHO. I know, I have one and it hangs with my Music Hall 9.1 and SoundSmith Aida cartridge.

Maybe he can find an old Aries II from Vpi for a song? Oracle comes to mind and heaven be praised if he could find a big SP 10 III for less than a $1000.00.

I've been through a lot of vintage tables and I ended up settling on a newer table (Marantz TT-15S1). If your brother is handy or a tinkerer, then you can probably get a better deal going vintage, but from my experience, there are usually some things that pop up that need to be addressed. There was also less adjustability on some of the older tables and things (no cuing lever, no anti-skate, VTA not adjustable) that made them harder to live with as the main TT in my system.

The Marantz can be found used for around your budget and if you don't want to deal with the decisions associated with picking an arm, etc, it makes an easy plug and play system. But lots of choices for your brother I would think - a friend picked up a Sota Sapphire without tonearm for about $500 and got a tonearm so his total spend on that table is probably less than $1000.

It just seems to me with a TT/tonearm, with everything analog and more subtle factors possibly having less subtle effects on the end sound, it's not enough that it just works and plays music. You want to have some confidence that everything is working well and in tip-top shape to give you the best sound possible, so you need to know what to look for (worn/looser bearings, too much play here or there) and be a more informed used shopper than with other types of gear.

My Brother is looking for a decent TT to go with his Rotel/ B&W stereo rig.

His budget is around 1K. Looking here for ideas?

Thousands of options out there with a $1K budget; I'll just throw out a few questions to help narrow down your options (at least a little).

$1K budget--is that for a TT/arm/cart (complete package)?
Will he be using the phono pre on his Rotel gear, or does a phono pre/SUT need to be factored into the budget?
Auto, semi-auto, or full manual, or no preference?
Any aesthetic considerations--wood plinth, piano black, silver, or doesn't matter?

This may help sort out a few "obvious winners".

Thousands of options out there with a $1K budget; I'll just throw out a few questions to help narrow down your options (at least a little).

$1K budget--is that for a TT/arm/cart (complete package)?
Will he be using the phono pre on his Rotel gear, or does a phono pre/SUT need to be factored into the budget?
Auto, semi-auto, or full manual, or no preference?
Any aesthetic considerations--wood plinth, piano black, silver, or doesn't matter?

This may help sort out a few "obvious winners".

Yeah sorry, complete, I know big difference. Prefers semi-auto. Aesthetics not a big deal.

Rotel phono pre and already hs a tube pre if needed.

Thanks for asking for clarification.

bob

Maybe he can find an old Aries II from Vpi for a song? Oracle comes to mind and heaven be praised if he could find a big SP 10 III for less than a $1000.00.
$1K might net you a very nice VPI HW-19 Mk III or IV, but you would have to be damn lucky to land an Aries for that price.

Reactions: gmc
And he already went the Rega route not happy with that.
What was it about his Rega experience that left him unhappy? Sound quality issues? Or, since you mentioned the preference for semi-auto, was it the full manual operation that was the issue?

A few years ago, I auditioned what I could locally and ended up with a Rega RP3, which I remain completely satisfied with. The only new 'table I can think of in that price range with automatic features is the Thorens TD 190-2. It gets positive reviews, but even the positive reviews will say that similarly-priced manual turntables have better performance to offer.

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-perfect-turntable-for-fumble-fingered-audiophiles/

Last edited:
I think he prefers new, really busy guy and not a tinkerer.

Prefers semi-auto.

This makes it kind of tough, since there are so few auto or semi-auto tables amongst the new offerings , and they either tend to be cheap junk, or well over the intended budget range. The bulk of the new tables that fall at or below the ~$!K price point are full manual, belt drives.

Of course (and I'm sure others will post the same thing), there is a lot more "bang for the buck" to be had for $1K on the vintage/used market (even if you pay a premium for a fully restored/serviced one), and a lot more options, in terms of fully-auto or semi-auto tables in that price range.

Another consideration (and I don't know if this is relevant to him), is that many of the new tables do not have removeable headshells. I like to cart-swap, so having multiple carts on multiple headshells is a convenience that I appreciate. Mount them, align them and store them until you want to change--then just install and check VTF and you are good to go without having to re-mount and align each cart every time you swap.

I have two Dual CS5000 tables, and would not hesitate to recommend one for him. They can be had regularly (in nice shape) for ~$400 (+/- a few bucks, depending on condition and cart). I find them attractive in appearance, they are semi-auto, quartz-locked belt drives with removeable headshells and 78 rpm capability (if that is relevant). I have had three of them, and they have all been "issue-free".

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!!

Last edited:
The upper tier Kenwood decks are within budget, semi auto, and one hell of a table.
img5a6d790c895a4_l.jpg958653-ultra-rare-kenwoodseiko-kp1100-and-reson-reca-mm-cartridge.jpg

Some like to run them nude.
kenwood-kd-990-naked (1).jpg

Picked up one of this tables siblings a few yrs ago and completely worry free. A few models down the line but easily bested my main table, an AR XA which had my Thorens sitting the bench, ya the big Kennys are that great.

KD770D
2a892361ca9597edcb6a3125d08d6b53.jpg
maxresdefault (11).jpg

These are big tables so take up a bit of real estate so keep that in mind.

Just checked eBay and I see several within budget, a KP990 and a KP770D. The 770 is a fantastic table, I know I love mine, but the 990 takes it to another level. As these are both KP not KD models they were for the Japanese market, as such were designed for 100v, not 120v, a step down transformer would be required. Definitely not a deal breaker, the transformer is cheap and readily available.

Screenshot_20181113-061321.png
Screenshot_20181113-061355.png

Find an old AR XA or XB that is in decent shape. Have AK's own Marc Morin do his full Monty on the table. If AVfan is still doing plinths, have him build one. Well within budget and the table will hang with tables in the 2,000 dollar range, IMHO. I know, I have one and it hangs with my Music Hall 9.1 and SoundSmith Aida cartridge.

Kind of a moot point because of the new (newer) preference and the West coast but in the same vein (as the quote ) on the east coast Sfrost (aker)

Kind of a moot point because of the new (newer) preference and the West coast but in the same vein (as the quote ) on the east coast Sfrost (aker)
Get what you're saying, but after the results I got from Marc, I would send a table to him from Moldovia. It came out that nice. Also, I have newer (Music Hall (9.1 with a 9.3 motor). If you told me I had to choose and only keep one table, it would really be a tough choice. The AR total cost is less than 1/2 of the Music Hall and cartridge I have in it, yet it sounds almost as good. The only fault I would say is that it can be a bit finicky on foot falls, where as the Music Hall is not in my application. Wishing the OP all the best.

I think he prefers new, really busy guy and not a tinkerer.
And he already went the Rega route not happy with that.
. . . Prefers semi-auto. . .
Since my previous response, it occurs to me that the Rega is not only fully manual in operation, it also requires removing the platter to change the speed and, with its non-removable headshell, is a pain to change cartridges on (not to mention the issue some have had with breaking the wires that attach to the cartridge pins). On the off-chance that a manual turntable that makes it easier to change speeds and easier to swap out cartridges might be acceptable, particularly if it comes at a much lower price than the Thorens TD 190-2, there is the Music Hall MMF 1.5. Only $399.99, it offers a knob to change speeds (including 78's), the ability to fine-tune the speed accuracy, and a standard removable headshell to make cartridge changing fast, convenient, and with no risk of damaging the tonearm wiring (replacing wires in a removable headshell is usually very easy and cheap, and even buying a new headshell is a lot less bother than fiddling with broken clips or rewiring a tonearm).

It gets very favorable reviews, and the one from avhub includes a fairly complete lab test for both the included cartridge and the turntable (it also includes information on how to adjust the speed accuracy).

https://www.cnet.com/news/music-hall-mmf-1-5-turntable-brings-sound-and-style-together/
https://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/hi-fi/music-hall-mmf-15-turntable-review-test-512100

What was it about his Rega experience that left him unhappy? Sound quality issues? Or, since you mentioned the preference for semi-auto, was it the full manual operation that was the issue?

A few years ago, I auditioned what I could locally and ended up with a Rega RP3, which I remain completely satisfied with. The only new 'table I can think of in that price range with automatic features is the Thorens TD 190-2. It gets positive reviews, but even the positive reviews will say that similarly-priced manual turntables have better performance to offer.

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-perfect-turntable-for-fumble-fingered-audiophiles/

A hum he could never get rid of.

bob

The upper tier Kenwood decks are within budget, semi auto, and one hell of a table.
View attachment 1329397View attachment 1329398

Some like to run them nude.
View attachment 1329399

Picked up one of this tables siblings a few yrs ago and completely worry free. A few models down the line but easily bested my main table, an AR XA which had my Thorens sitting the bench, ya the big Kennys are that great.

KD770D
View attachment 1329404
View attachment 1329405

These are big tables so take up a bit of real estate so keep that in mind.

Those are beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom