Arrested Developement .. Speaker DIY

Sportlark64

Dyna Mo Hummmmmm
Hey folks , Steve here . I have been wanting to build some 12" speakers for some time now ....
I was going to use parts from my Infinity SM-150's (Emit R's / Cross overs ) But I keep shooting blanks on driver selection . I don't have the equipment or the software to do a major DIY . So like "Dead Reckoning" here I go . I listen to a lot of Rock and Blues Foghat,Derringer,Who,Blind Faith,Luther Allison,Tab Benoit,Tommy Castro,GFR .
My hearing is trashed from jets and 40+ years of rock and working on cars .
So I need a good amount of Mid-Range . I know if I get a PM Equalizer or just an EQ I can bring mid's in all day long . But something tells me they "should be there" in the speakers in the first place , no ?

I am having a hard time understanding mid-bass / midrange compression drivers concept ,,, hence the "Arrested Development" title . I'm still using what are left of my Infinity/Pyle/Fisher in a 3-way set-up :-( . I have a hard time getting past "You need a mid-range in there son" track of thought .

1] Do these mid-bass or mid-highs speakers take place of the conventional 3 way Bass/Midrange Tweeter set-up that Dinosaurs are still using ?
With these style of drivers do I still need the good old midrange ?
I do have a few ideas ,,,, famous last words ...... annnnd my keyboard batteries are dyin' ^%$ !!
I'm building the cabinets out of 3/4" mdf and hopefully genuine veneer . I haven't got my design down yet I'm still ordering drivers,jigs , etc .
I have my Bass speakers on their way , they are :
Eminence American Standard Beta 12"
250@8
43-3800hz
98db @ 1w/1m
Depending your answers I have several Horn Drivers I am considering that I'd like to run past you all .
Also , back to part of my original ramblings , should I , or do I "really" need a 3 way design anymore . It seems these new fangled drivers may be the way to go .

Back
Top Bottom