1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

As We Bow Our Heads And Press Play...

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by musichal, Nov 8, 2018.

1. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

Audio is not a religion, though there are many various, often opposing, beliefs extant. I do not worship at the shrine of the perfect speaker, or the perfect amp. Perfection awaits another world, or plane of existence.

Nor is music a religion; no, rock'n'roll won't save you. However, music is indeed spiritual; it has soul, we say, because it somehow touches ours. It is that touch that puts the pursuit in audio. That spiritual touch that relaxes us at the end of a grueling day, when in wind-down mode - on a good day. Yes, the pursuit of happiness to some degree, but more than that, a feeding of the spirit of mankind so that, upon a really good day:

I am at one with the music
    washing over me
    washing me
    rinsing away the stresses
    relieving the tension
    as I prepare
    for release.

I am at one with the music
    energizing me
    wind me up
    watch me leaping
    as I prepare
    for ignition.

I become the music
    float and sting
    laugh and cry
    transcendent
    I am reborn
    the world new again.

I sing I dance
    I twist and shout
    feel love and sadness
    joyously
    I am alive
    to the spirit within.
    Better get hit in yo' soul, said Mingus. Sometimes a two-inch speaker in a small radio is all the ceremony we need, sometimes we want more because that is in our nature. Maybe some are addicted, looking for a bigger fix, but that is not most of us. So whether the means is a simple radio, or a high-end mega-system, it is but that - the means to an end. Or better, a beginning. A continuing, for music is for the living.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad

Nice piece overall, Hal. I especially like, and am in full agreement with, the line quoted above.

stish, GChief, steven94 and 1 other person like this.
  3. peerson

peerson Well-Known Member

I am not looking for "perfection", either. But, there is a good feeling when you put on a record that you just finished cleaning and it's DEAD QUIET! And, for me, a 2" speaker in a small radio just will not work, LOL

musichal likes this.
  4. northpaw

northpaw Active Member

Bravo.

I wonder at times, mostly subconsciously, why I can enjoy a small bluetooth speaker at times (admittedly quite a bit better than an old transistor radio) as much as I do. Thanks for your excellent explanation.

musichal likes this.
  5. biscuithead

biscuithead Me likes the eargasm retroplasm... Subscriber

"Become the music". !!!!!
    :beerchug:

musichal likes this.
  6. GChief

GChief Not well known, super member or other silliness Subscriber

This weekend in the Mts, next to a campfire, our crappy little BT Bose speaker will sound wonderful!!! Playing iTunes from my phone.

musichal likes this.

7. Bdbras84

Bdbras84 AK Subscriber Subscriber

There has been many times in my where music and the relationship to certain songs has been the only thing that has gotten me through. At times if I hear a certain song it takes me back to a certain place an time in my youth that brings a smile to my face. Upbeat songs from thunderstruck to Kodachrome can get me in a positive ready to rock n roll mood to subdue the anxiety I may have about doing something. Music an the opportunity to listen to it , no matter on what gear sure is a wonderful thing isn't it? :thumbsup:

musichal likes this.
  8. tom67

tom67 Active Member

"Expensive high end audio isn't the only thing....It's everything".....Vince Lombardi 1962

musichal likes this.
  9. SB12345

SB12345 Member

"Nor is music a religion; no, rock'n'roll won't save you."

But never forget........... God Gave Rock And Roll To You*

*Russ Ballard

:rockon:

musichal likes this.
  10. peerson

peerson Well-Known Member

I used to have a few "Flashbacks", too. Doesn't seem to happen as often as it used to. Mine usually involve extremely vivid colors, though.;)

Bdbras84 and musichal like this.
  11. Aerobat

Aerobat Class A all the way

I think that one's backwards but I get the drift!

musichal likes this.

12. just dave

just dave vintage rules!

"Give me Vintage or give me death"... Patrick Henry

13. richamor

richamor Blue Collar Subscriber

For more than one of us....a transistor radio was our first personal exposure. We could listen to whatever whenever.

Nice piece.:thumbsup:

will1960 likes this.
  14. Audiotfoot

Audiotfoot AK Subscriber Subscriber

Ditto. An old Sonic Impact iPod player picked up at a thrift is quite enjoyable. And the Bluetooth driven by Alexa provides a nice touch to preparing breakfast.

15. ev13wt

ev13wt Super Member

Fully agreed. Very nice points you touch upon.
    When we die, everything living dies. Thoughts, feelings, memories - everything. What remains? I say a sliver of a human collective soul goes back to the, well, collective soul.

Music is the "hard disk" for the human race.
    Thought patterns, feelings, learned "stuff" - that results in music (and written down text of course, but that is more limiting than music as a communication transport device, that is what remains.
    All new humans discover music, and simply understand and listen.
    Make more music.

16. musichal

While our philosophical paradigms differ, I agree with most of that, and it was very well expressed, punctuation gaffs aside (that's just my OCD talkin'). Nice post.

marcthisdate likes this.

17. will1960

will1960 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well written and insightful, musichal. Your posts have become "must reads" for me.

We all "caught the bug" on less than hi-fi equipment. While our regular attendance here indicates we all enjoy the pursuit of quality sound, and the gear that provides it, we all found that initial spark of interest from the music, not the devices presenting it.

I, for one, recall receiving a cassette recorder for Christmas when I was 9 years old, and would place the corded microphone near my clock radio. I listened to the local AM rock station (WLS 890) waiting to click the two piano style buttons that started the "record" function when a song came on that I liked. My first stab at mix tapes! lol Always tried to time the start and stop so as not to hear the DJ leading in, or coming back near the end.

Moved steadily forward to where I am now, 50 years later, and have enjoyed every step of the process!

musichal likes this.
  18. musichal

Yep. I did the same off AM with one of those portable cassette recorders. Sounds like we were both doing that about the same time.

will1960 likes this.