asilker's Apartment Arrangement *photos*

Had to repair some loose wires on the Magnepans. Man, is that job a bear. Got all of the trouble spots done and they sound great. Definitely firmer bass. I intend on stripping and repairing a few spots that look like they'll come loose in the next few year, but not for a few days because I'm tired of working with acetone.

The difference between the Magnepan and Lore's is huge. Eq emphasis feels completely opposite as the Maggies are heavily midrange focused and the Tektons are more broadly focused, not to mention a difference of 13db@1watt.

Totally different designs but both sound great. Magnepans are certainly pickier about input material and overall a very fussy speaker

I went through a lot of speakers myself until I discovered KLIPSCH.
they would work well with tubes.
very nice gear though and very neatly arranged.

Seeing how the Lores are extremely efficient, how do they pair up with your Dynaco? I've been awfully curious about Lores lately and how they will run with Tubes or analog.
It's a great matchup. Lots of authority. I updated the ST70 with the VTA front end, and it's a great sounding amp. The pairing takes on just about anything with ease, and even at thunderous volumes it doesn't feel like it's straining.

The Lores definitely don't have the resolution of other speakers available around that price point, but man they're effortless

Here's a note after some dedicated listening:
I'm confident that the gear I've got now is the best I've owned yet. That being said, After getting some time in with the Tekton Lore's and finishing the Magnepan's, I've swapped them back and forth a little while. I have to say, the Lore's have been getting more play. while they don't have the insane detail of the Magnepan MG1c, the bass extension makes me feel like the drum kit is nearby, and they are WAY easier to place. Also, the Maggies are essentially mid drivers that feature some high and low extension, so they can feel a little myopic with the mid frequencies.

All of this combined with the fact that the Lore's take up less space and actually sound better in my room while close to the wall and with no toe-in means the Maggies will be up for sale when I'm sure my adhesive work is complete. I believe I'll be updating my DAC with the money I can make from turning the Magnepans.

Here are some more goofball photos of my setup:
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I like the hockey pucks, I use the same for my speakers they work great! nice system too!
Thanks! The pucks were Graham (fastg)'s work. These were his not too long ago. I do think they provide a nice base though. Definitely a better alternative from marking up the wood floor with spikes

KEEP MG1 THEY ARE NICE SOUNDING MAGS.no many speakers in that price range can beat the MAGS
DYNACO 70 IS KEEPER, STILL NICE TUBE AMP,if you recap,it would be nice,

Last edited:
I really like that we get to have sticky beak into other people's music rooms - nice space, very nice gear and wonderful collection of speakers.

I have a pair of Kappa 7's - NS200m and recently moved on NS1000 that were really battered and not worth a restore IMO - now looking for NS1000m or 690II either in very good condition. Love the forwardness of the Yammies and love the oh so cool vibe I get from the Infinities.

Rob :)

I really like that we get to have sticky beak into other people's music rooms - nice space, very nice gear and wonderful collection of speakers.

I have a pair of Kappa 7's - NS200m and recently moved on NS1000 that were really battered and not worth a restore IMO - now looking for NS1000m or 690II either in very good condition. Love the forwardness of the Yammies and love the oh so cool vibe I get from the Infinities.

here we go,beak is out from your room:trebon:
be careful with NS 1000m or any NS line of the speakers, they are Studio Speakers,some people call MONITOR SPEAKERS,because you monitoring sound when you make master copy,:idea: detail,detail,detail,detail.that is why you cant listen this speakers for long time ,some call edgy,some bright ,some like you forwardness ,it is to detail,......:blah:
they are not for room average block , special not for tube amps!!! be careful with Beryllium :rant:, and pair with Yamaha A-S2000 amp,
i just try to help people to not walk in the wrong direction,waste time and money,:smoke:,mags rock,keep it,leave YAMMIES for Studio Boys, my suggestion,
cheers:beerchug:

here we go,beak is out from your room:trebon:
be careful with NS 1000m or any NS line of the speakers, they are Studio Speakers,some people call MONITOR SPEAKERS,because you monitoring sound when you make master copy,:idea: detail,detail,detail,detail.that is why you cant listen this speakers for long time ,some call edgy,some bright ,some like you forwardness ,it is to detail,......:blah:
they are not for room average block , special not for tube amps!!! be careful with Beryllium :rant:, and pair with Yamaha A-S2000 amp,
i just try to help people to not walk in the wrong direction,waste time and money,:smoke:,mags rock,keep it,leave YAMMIES for Studio Boys, my suggestion,
cheers:beerchug:

I have had a few Yammies now NS70t, NS344, 2 x NS200m (gave a pair away to a friend) and the battered pair of NS1000. I really like the distinctive Yamaha sound - you are right, I would agree they are not an all day everyday speaker but they are a great contrast to my other speakers and for critical listening of recordings they are fantastic. I have had the best success with them using older, for want of a better word 'slower' amplifiers (especially with digital music) and that commands authority Kenwood KA8100, Hitachi HMA7500mkII and C1 & M2 combo have all produced excellent listening results. Denon PMA 1500 and Yamaha AX1090 were much less successful IMO. Also I found the hi-er end Monster Cable with there IC's toned down the forwardness as well.

KEEP MG1 THEY ARE NICE SOUNDING MAGS.no many speakers in that price range can beat the MAGS
DYNACO 70 IS KEEPER, STILL NICE TUBE AMP,if you recap,it would be nice,

My ST70 has had a full and thorough recap - the only original capacitor is the humdinger in the grounding scheme. I'm confident it'll last a long while.

And I do enjoy the Magnepans. But in the interest of using what I own and not just collecting, they may be moving along this month. I'm finishing a full restoration, and it's been on hold as we've had a number of visitors lately.

Thanks Rob. It is a pretty fun idea. Sounds like we have similar taste in speakers!

I love the evolution of the system. Maggies can be an acquired taste for some but do need room to perform their best. If the Tekton's work I'd be sticking with them. How do they compare to the Infinities or Yammies? Quite the rotation you've got going and I'm loving the insights! Great setup and very well done!

Here's a note after some dedicated listening:
I'm confident that the gear I've got now is the best I've owned yet.

I'm not surprised that you're enjoying your system -- you have some very nice gear! And it's set up very nicely with a clean, uncluttered look. Enjoy!

Thanks very much fellas.

I love the evolution of the system. Maggies can be an acquired taste for some but do need room to perform their best. If the Tekton's work I'd be sticking with them. How do they compare to the Infinities or Yammies? Quite the rotation you've got going and I'm loving the insights! Great setup and very well done!
Yup, they work indeed. The Infinities I've decided to keep, so my dad is using them for the foreseeable future. The Infinities felt huge and enveloping with pinpoint special cues. Just a hugely involving speaker. Kind of makes me want to lug them back out here. However, the Tektons have a great drum presence, lower bass extension, and more of a forward mid character that I like. Lots of sparkle on the high end as well. The NS 500m had incredible midrange detail, but the woofer was a bit polite. The speaker is definitely designed around mid resolution. This made for a sometimes shouty speaker with great resolution, but I didn't much feel like I could get lost inside it like the Infinities. However, Peggy Lee sounded incredible and lifelike through the Yamaha monitors

Now married and living in an apartment in Chicago so space is a little limited. I intended to write a post when I had everything set just the way I like it, but I'm starting to realize that things are in a pretty constant state of flux. So here's a snapshot of how my space looks right now.

Got my new Reference Five's all refoamed and reclothed. They sound great. Need to replace the turntable RCA cables, so that's next on the list.

Here's from the couch (Stop Making Sense on the tv):
ec1e3b99edf99bf3a74be94547bc0581.jpg

And here's a few closups:
fb3d6fed9a67ee3d036803ba9fec8dde.jpg

a8d92cb439e5533826b9b15145c20fc5.jpg

Refoam, baby!
118ba2b68f31aec23f0f8ab4596d2014.jpg

Esteem points to anyone who can identify the art (some is more identifiable than others)
I really like the look of those reference fives. Clean look a really nice size. I have the little baby brothers the reference 3s. They are a nice sounding speaker for a small room. The foam is starting to go on them. I replaced the with some small monitor audios for now. My main system consists of kappa 8.1s and kappa9. I would love to hear some fives one day.

Yup, they work indeed. The Infinities I've decided to keep, so my dad is using them for the foreseeable future. The Infinities felt huge and enveloping with pinpoint special cues. Just a hugely involving speaker. Kind of makes me want to lug them back out here. However, the Tektons have a great drum presence, lower bass extension, and more of a forward mid character that I like. Lots of sparkle on the high end as well. The NS 500m had incredible midrange detail, but the woofer was a bit polite. The speaker is definitely designed around mid resolution. This made for a sometimes shouty speaker with great resolution, but I didn't much feel like I could get lost inside it like the Infinities. However, Peggy Lee sounded incredible and lifelike through the Yamaha monitors

Too bad all that goodness couldn't be combined somehow! Hence our journeys continue and refine our passion in the process. Good stuff!

Back
Top Bottom