asilker's Apartment Arrangement *photos*

Snagged a Classe' CAP 80 integrated amp. Cosmetically it's in mint condition, but the fuses on the power board were blown and now that I've swapped them for new ones, my outputs are putting -5vDC. I don't know enough about this amp (or solid state equipment in general) but these models seem well regarded enough that I'll be taking it in to a tech at the beginning of the week.

IMG_2654.JPG IMG_2650.JPG

In other news, I've build a Flexy rack, and the raspberry pi-Schiit Modi rig was passed on to my pop. Really if things were fair, he'd get my whole rig for how much he supported me in undergrad - but I guess that's a different story.

I'm feeling happy enough with the gear I'm running that I've been buying plants and trees to try and combat how dry and grey the winter usually feels out here. Currently got a ficus and a lemon tree, as well as a little bonsai and some succulents. the goal is to keep things alive :thumbsup:

Welcome to the TD-124 club! That's a lifetime purchase.
Thanks beat. Actually I just traded it to a friend for his Rogue Magnum 99 preamp. I realize the lifetime value of the piece, but his restoration skills are better than mine and he fell in love with the table. It was a fair trade too I think.

More photos to come, my setup is starting to look a lot different

Thanks beat. Actually I just traded it to a friend for his Rogue Magnum 99 preamp. I realize the lifetime value of the piece, but his restoration skills are better than mine and he fell in love with the table. It was a fair trade too I think.

Not a bad deal at all...

Big movements in my system, here's a teaser pic...
IMG_2691.JPG

Need to rewire the tonearm, wrap my Roxul panels, and cut new Flexy rack shelves. Likely will be doing a full cabling upgrade as well soon. I'll be posting photos when things are finished. I can't wait for September to roll around so I can turn off the air conditioner and start burning tubes.

By the way, I am also now a subscriber. Not sure why it took so long, but I finally remembered to click the dang button. Happy to be listed in red.

for those interested...

Had a few good buys lately and a few fortuitous trades with a friend who was looking for things.

After a bit of shuffle, my rig is now:

Thorens TD145 mkii/ AT120e
Starting Point Systems TDA1543 DAC
Rogue Magnum 99 (with phono)
VTA Dynaco ST70
Tekton Lore

Sounds good. I dig it. TD145 arm is freshly rewired. The jump from the Creek OBH 15 to the Rogue phono pre yielded great dynamics and resolution (go figure). Haven't had much time to sit and listen dedicatedly because my wife has been mad prepping for the next school year and moving classrooms. However, my semester began again this week so I'll be having my writing mornings soon enough. For now, I'm happy to have finished cutting and sealing wider shelves for the flexy shelf. Things fit again.

While I usually preach just about every month, I'm preaching two Sundays in a row. I felt the last sermon went well, and and looking forward to the next one this week. I really enjoy being able to communicate stories in this format, where I'm able to pull my friends in, at an hour or so at a time. and it's nice to prep here and enjoy some tunes

Nice looking system! It's nice to see the ST-70 is still there, guess it must be pretty good ;)

I like the progression in gear acquisition. You've definitely been moving up and not laterally.

Nice looking system! It's nice to see the ST-70 is still there, guess it must be pretty good ;)

I like the progression in gear acquisition. You've definitely been moving up and not laterally.
Thanks my friend. The intention is to move always up. I bought my first Mobile Fidelity OMR records today. Felt like my system finally deserved it.

And btw, yup the ST70 is still around! Who knows about long term, in the hobby you kind of always do stuff you didn't expect to. But I have been very happy with its performance. Excellent soundstage.

How in the world do you have time to study and write? Between your acquisitions and their rehabs you've been a busy boy! I like your pairing of tubes with the Tektons but have you tried them with SS? From what I've read Eric prefers using SS. Either way you have a nice system going. I'll be waiting for it's next manifestation.

How in the world do you have time to study and write? Between your acquisitions and their rehabs you've been a busy boy! I like your pairing of tubes with the Tektons but have you tried them with SS? From what I've read Eric prefers using SS. Either way you have a nice system going. I'll be waiting for it's next manifestation.
cubby, you forgot preach and teach too :naughty: Really though it's all pretty manageable. I have huge tides and swells. Some weeks my sleep schedule is ruined, and then for a bit here and there my week will open up very freely. Part of the rhythm of working in the social sector I suppose. The other part of it is the shift between theoretical and tactile. After staring at a computer for a few hours it feels very good to work with something and fix things for a few minutes. Most of my longer assignments are punctuated this way. Thanks for the compliment though!!

I did try the Classe very briefly. Very briefly. 80ish WPC, the cymbals had a TOTALLY different texture. However, spacially things felt tightened up and the music lost a lot of weight. Didn't spend enough time to comment definitively, but the initial impression was that SS might provide more detail resolution at the cost of weight and spacial depth. And since I was the one who built this ST70, the choice was easy.

I've read someone saying that Eric has also not listened to a lot of his models with tube power. That's hear-say, but could be a factor in the discussion.

Chapman 250 mini monitor restoration is finished!

Totally refinished, new SEAS tweeters, replaced crossovers (Solen caps), recentered b110 woofers. I also had to re-form a massive proprietary inductor and work with a few goofy design choices.

Spinning some Thelonious to break them in. I'm happy to have these done as they were a bear of a project.

Thanks @Skylab for passing them on to me. They'll live happily on my desk for a long time.

IMG_2814.JPG IMG_2813.JPG

Wow that's awesome! Very nicely done. Those speakers deserved better than I could give them, and you sure gave them better! Very, very cool.

Back
Top Bottom