asilker's Apartment Arrangement *photos*

how is the bass? that will be the challenge. they probably need to be farther out into the room. maybe 3' from the back wall?
First impressions: not a lot of it, and kind of a weird mid bass bump. I could live very comfortably with an early drop off like my Chapman monitors. I'm not happy with the texture of these yet. I need to play with positioning a lot more, and there's a pretty good chance these will find themselves in a ported cab eventually too. I really want the Audio Nirvanas to work. I love the design concept, and their efficiency would pair well with a 300b amp in the future.

After rotating my room so that things are oriented longways (the long sides of the rectangle are on either side of me), I have finally pinpointed where I need to set my speakers for a coherent center image. There's been a little confusion for me because I have heard that these Audio Nirvana in OB would sound better against back wall and corner boundaries and conversely a few feet into the room. My response was to put the AN aside for a couple of days and get the Chapman's set in the room. After figuring out where the soundstage felt most focused, I pulled the AN's back out. They're positioned much closer together than they were before without much toe in. I am thoroughly enjoying them.

The next step is to make the decision to keep them, or to keep the Tektons. Only one pair can stay. If I choose the Audio Nirvana, they will be mounted in a proper BR cabinet instead of open back; they're obviously dying to express more bass authority. Also if I decide to continue with AN, I'll have to decide if I want to keep these stamped frame drivers or pass them on in order to go for the cast frames.

Decisions, decisions. Vocals sound great though.

Dynaco ST70 is gone. In the interim between power stages, I'm giving this little fella some play time
P_20170316_114926.jpg
Volt + on recommendation from @Poultrygeist

My main power stage is in the works. Parts are still coming in the mail.

what power source are you using with the volt+? i really like mine (using an astron linear power supply). i have my AN 12" in big old bass reflex cabinets but they should work well on open baffles. you might need a sub to shore up the very bottom end. there is a lot of debate re AN drivers in cabinets. many criticize the AN suggested cabinets and suggest horns make more sense; i don't have a good opinion on that.

what power source are you using with the volt+? i really like mine (using an astron linear power supply). i have my AN 12" in big old bass reflex cabinets but they should work well on open baffles. you might need a sub to shore up the very bottom end. there is a lot of debate re AN drivers in cabinets. many criticize the AN suggested cabinets and suggest horns make more sense; i don't have a good opinion on that.
Just grabbed some wall wart psu I had laying around. Because ive been assembling a few other projects, hearing the Volt + at its best has become a lower priority.
P_20170316_121229.jpg

The Volt will drive my Chapman BBC monitors on my desk when this round of upgrades is finished. The AN's are boxed and put away for now - open baffles did not do it for me. I'll be assembling ported boxes this spring/summer hopefully

Love the Totoro! And the other stuff's not too shabby, either.
He was a gift to my wife during some health troubles. We watched the movie while we were fighting through some things together, and it became a big moment for us.

I like my gear. I like that memory better.

EDIT: also THANKS :)

Dynaco ST70 is gone. In the interim between power stages, I'm giving this little fella some play time
View attachment 889404
Volt + on recommendation from @Poultrygeist

My main power stage is in the works. Parts are still coming in the mail.

How is the Volt+ with your Tektons? I'm very curious, as I am looking to upgrade from a TPA 3116 to the Volt +. I've heard good things from fellow AKers who were using the TPA 3116 with Tektons, as I am also interested in getting some Tektons myself.

How is the Volt+ with your Tektons? I'm very curious, as I am looking to upgrade from a TPA 3116 to the Volt +. I've heard good things from fellow AKers who were using the TPA 3116 with Tektons, as I am also interested in getting some Tektons myself.
It would be easiest for me to compare the Volt + to the amplification it just replaced (Rogue Magnum 99 and VTA ST70). Keep in mind I have not spent time optimizing a PSU for the Volt, so that may have some bearing on the performance of the amp. That being said, the Volt + has:

Less noise. My 99 mag has a little bit of tube noise at the line level. Need to get that worked out. The Volt in contrast is dead quiet, no buzz on very sensitive speakers

Tonal balance weighted more toward treble. Volt + gives treble frequencies and upper mids more emphasis. Bass has ok definition, but drums do not have the same kinetic feel. keep in mind I am not a bass junkie.

Reduced soundstage. Sorry. Rogue&Dynaco combo was much more spacious. Volt is not bad, but certainly smaller sounding.

Less colorful timbres. The sax intro in the first track of Jimmy and Wes: Dynamic Duo is an example of very rich textures that come through with less wildness and power.

Cost is about $3k difference between the Volt and main rig. I am happy with the Volt, but looking forward to hearing the 300b amp I'm building. If you have a line on some Tektons, pull the trigger. The Lores are great speakers.

Changed the Volt + PSU from 12v to 22v. There is an immediate difference. Running my Chapman monitors, there is an improved firmness in the low end and a more dramatic sense of front to back distance.

Hey, looky what I found! Hadn't seen your thread before this, @asilker...

I like the way you've indulged your curiosity by rolling a bunch of stuff through in the past couple of years - your wife must be very tolerant. :)

Appreciate the sidebar pics of plants, furniture and bikes, too!

Hey, looky what I found! Hadn't seen your thread before this, @asilker...

I like the way you've indulged your curiosity by rolling a bunch of stuff through in the past couple of years - your wife must be very tolerant. :)

Appreciate the sidebar pics of plants, furniture and bikes, too!
Hey Red! Yup my missus is a very generous woman. I think she cares more about me keeping my imagination alive than having a tidy living room. Although I do my best to clean up frequently and I don't hoard :)

Alright folks. A few changes here. Current setup is as follows:

Modified SL1200 with Denon DL103r/Jelco 750d -> Cinemag SUTs -> Vacuum Tube Audio preamp (phono and line stage) -> JE Labs 45/2a3 power stage -> Tekton Lore

Coming next: Audio Nirvana super 12 ferrite in proper cabinets and maybe something cool if I can swap my Rogue 99 mag.

Impressions on JE Labs amp:
I am running 6sl7 drivers into 45 output tubes for 1.5wpc. Sounds much different than the ST70 or the Volt + (go figure). I have a strong preference for this amp over the Volt. Soundstage is broader and deeper, bass is authoritative and huge. I've spent a few hours with the amp this morning, so all I can offer are first impressions. Music is very lively and comfortable. No part of the music is put before the other. Thus the presentation is extremely musical and balanced. Voices, acoustic guitars, bells, saxophones all sound great. This amp does not have the gunshot snare effect that the VTA ST70 had. Center image is great on the JE labs amp. ST70 may have had a longer (z axis) deeper soundstage... I haven't spent enough time with the amp to make any definite comments on the staging. Let's just say first impressions are extremely positive. I plan to keep this amp forever. At this point, the JE labs with 45's could be my "forever" or end of the road amplifier.

Ooh, nice!
Thanks, Red! I just want to be like the greats. I gave up on my 300b build and sold the biggest components (OPT's and tubes). The summer is going to be a stressful one and I decided for the time being peace of mind is more important that gained skill. I have many years left to learn better amp building skills. For not I am enjoying getting lost in some 45's.

I'll take some photos when everything is cleaned up later this week. I've got a new bonsai tree too, and I haven't had the opportunity to show anyone... so that will surely be part of the photos.

Thanks for keeping up folks. Happy to meet up with AK folks to hear some of this if you're in the area.

Weather has been nice... Spending less time listening and a bit more on the bike.
OK, my bike geek side perked up at this photo. I finally installed a Curt hitch and got a Thule 990XT rack, so I'm back on the trails again. I told myself I was all set on a bike (Specialized Crosstrail Disc), but then somewhere I read a review of the Sirrus, and I'm now trying to talk myself out of the Sirrus Comp Carbon. :D Maybe later in the year. I'm thinking of getting my other half the 2016 Expedition Sport Low Entry, as she's using a Giant now and has issues riding it (just discomfort in a few areas that the Expedition will mainly address).

Interesting saga on your tube adventures, too. Back into lurking mode now. ;) Enjoy the tunes!

Back
Top Bottom