asilker's Apartment Arrangement *photos*

OK, my bike geek side perked up at this photo. I finally installed a Curt hitch and got a Thule 990XT rack, so I'm back on the trails again. I told myself I was all set on a bike (Specialized Crosstrail Disc), but then somewhere I read a review of the Sirrus, and I'm now trying to talk myself out of the Sirrus Comp Carbon. :D Maybe later in the year. I'm thinking of getting my other half the 2016 Expedition Sport Low Entry, as she's using a Giant now and has issues riding it (just discomfort in a few areas that the Expedition will mainly address).

Interesting saga on your tube adventures, too. Back into lurking mode now. ;) Enjoy the tunes!
Specialized is kind of my intro to bikes, they're all over the place at shops out here. That sirrus does look like a beauty. I'm riding a 2016 Langster in fixed gear format. I commute daily, but I'm starting to get more regular 50 mile rides in per week. The intention is to develop strength and cadence habits.

I can't wait to get on the Palos CAMBr trails out here :) I've got a mountain bike too that just got a full tune-up at the shop. Hopefully the trails will be dry come Friday!

Specialized is kind of my intro to bikes, they're all over the place at shops out here. That sirrus does look like a beauty. I'm riding a 2016 Langster in fixed gear format. I commute daily, but I'm starting to get more regular 50 mile rides in per week. The intention is to develop strength and cadence habits.

I can't wait to get on the Palos CAMBr trails out here :) I've got a mountain bike too that just got a full tune-up at the shop. Hopefully the trails will be dry come Friday!
Sounds interesting! Things seem like they are drying out here also. We had storms overnight but I only saw a few puddles today. I was out by the lake, though--I have never seen it this high. I guess our lake levels on the Great Lakes is now up where it should be, from what I've heard.

I stick mainly to the rail trails. Over in Rochester there is a set of MTB trails just off of the Clinton River Trail, and I rode the flatter part of it for a short distance...enough to know I'll never be a dirt trail rider. ;) If I were 30 years younger, I'd take a stab at it! For the trails I ride, many are paved, and the Sirrus Carbon would do well on those. But the Crosstrail I have now is good if I hit a trail that is a mix of paved, limestone, gravel, even dirt here and there.

I'm mainly in it for the cardio, and to reduce some of the winter "baggage". ;)

I have a good relationship with my bike shop (they swapped out pedals and a crankset for me at no charge, among other things), and they are one of the bigger Specialized dealers in the area. Chances are if one store does not have a model in stock, another one will. Pretty happy with both the bike and the dealer, actually.

Been following this thread with interest. I'm also fond of Lores; especially in a near field environment. OP changes gear like I change socks :)
Fun stuff.
You must have smelly socks :)

Hey Bob in WI... if you're ever in Chicago, I'll buy ya lunch!

So far my lapses in foot hygiene have gone unnoticed...... I think :yikes:

I'll let you know if I'm in town. We don't get into Chi as often as we should.
AK meet in Delavan WI in a few weeks if you want to make the ride.
Prolly a couple hours from downtown, all xpressway.

Read the whole thread, great stuff! Love all the pics but I gotta ask...what happened to the Rogue 99?

Today I cut and tinned fresh speaker cables (plain copper) and I'm laying down gaff tape to mark speaker placement.

The JE Labs is getting 2a3's and different driver tubes subbed in. I've never been a huge believer in swapping tube brands - it seems like circuit design, transformers, and coupling caps would have more effect on sound quality. However with this amp, I have the opportunity to swap out different tubes completely... So today it's 45 vs 2a3 and 6SL7 vs 6SN7

Read the whole thread, great stuff! Love all the pics but I gotta ask...what happened to the Rogue 99?
It's up FS/FT on Bartertown and a few other places :)

Great little trick with the tape, I use small pieces of blue masking tape to mark speaker position before I move them around.
I'm 99% convinced I should be saving up for the Lores... You don't run a sub with them, right?

Great little trick with the tape, I use small pieces of blue masking tape to mark speaker position before I move them around.
I'm 99% convinced I should be saving up for the Lores... You don't run a sub with them, right?
Oh my no. Running 1.5 watts in my room with no sub and the bass is intense.

I have never heard them in a large space, so take that in context. I'm sure there's something out there that does better than the Lore (there always is) but I have lived very happily with then. Excellent bass extension, point source, great midrange unity, highly efficient... What more could you ask for

Wow, 1.5 watts and full sound with intense bass. That's nutty... :)
In your opinion, do they sound more neutral / flat like studio monitors or YAMAHAs, or sweet / smiley curve like NHT or similar?
Thanks!

Wow, 1.5 watts and full sound with intense bass. That's nutty... :)
In your opinion, do they sound more neutral / flat like studio monitors or YAMAHAs, or sweet / smiley curve like NHT or similar?
Thanks!
I've never heard NHT. The Lores don't sound like the yamahas. Maybe a little bit more of a pro sound/JBL/Altec sound (they do have Eminence woofers)

Careful with that... It's a slippery slope! :)

It's going to be a defining moment in our marriage when I bring home 604's in their proper cabinets

Or divorce material with A7's in the back pocket :D

Redboy was correct, and I was not joking. My wife took this photo shortly after move in around 10 last night to illustrate how huge the 604 are:
Point Blur_Jun152017_064500.jpg

I've blurred my face out for a little privacy on a public forum here, but rest assured in the photo I am grinning like a fool. My wife still kissed me this morning so no threats of divorce yet

More photos and notes to come. I am coming close to the gear I will keep forever.

This may be my final system. If it is not, then I cannot imagine the tweaks being very significant. Perhaps a new DAC at some point. In any case, photos as promised...

Technics SL1200 modified and painted, supporting a Jelco 750d tonearm on ebony armboard. Cart is a Denon 103r, Cinemag SUT's in a Budgie unit.

DAC uses a TD 1543 chip.

Phono and line stage together in the VTA preamp.

Power stage is a JE Labs simple 45/2a3. This amp was built with the option of running either 45's or 2a3's with just the flip of a switch and a different rectifier. Recently I've been enjoying the JJ 2a3-40's supported by a Mullard GZ33 and driven by GE clear top 6SL7's.

Speakers are Altec 604 168x drivers with slight modification: the diaphragms are now 8 ohms from GPA, making the full driver compliment 8 ohms. Cabinets are to 620 specs with oak bracing and gorgeous cherry veneer which will develop color as it ages. Crossovers are new Great Plains Audio. An audio friend built these, and his woodworking skill is incredible. The grills have classic Altec Maestro logos, and I have replacement Mantaray logos in the mail.

Speakers here, next post will be other components:
P_20170617_133731.jpg P_20170617_133852.jpg P_20170617_133857.jpg P_20170617_133921.jpg P_20170617_133931.jpg P_20170617_133943.jpg P_20170617_133952.jpg P_20170617_133958.jpg P_20170617_134239.jpg P_20170617_134259.jpg

Back
Top Bottom