asilker's Apartment Arrangement *photos*

Just checking in today.

I've been listening to the Chapman desk monitors as they appear in post #78. Man, they sound good. For a while I was considering saving for some KEF LS50's, or a very high quality pair of headphones... something to use at home in close range. These little monitors have totally scratched that itch. I am blown away at how musical these are. Loving my gear currently.

Looking at moving up to an SME 3009 tonearm before upgrading cartridges any further. Arm and cart are the next upgrade points though. After that, maybe new main speakers? I've been posting a lot about Acoustic Nirvana drivers - I really love the design concept behind single driver systems. We'll see.

Chapman makes some great speakers! I have a pair on my bucket list...

Chapman makes some great speakers! I have a pair on my bucket list...
I would love to hear what they're making these days.

I was unsure about this model I have because the Phillips tweeter seemed a budget choice. However the massive proprietary inductors were a hint that these might sound pretty good after a recap (no kidding as large as the B110 woofer). The tweeters are SEAS now... but I'll tell you what, I am not at all disappointing that these aren't part-for-part LS3/5a. This crossover sounds incredible.

edit: however, I'm not happy with how my rehab of the damaged veneer ended up. I suspect a veneer job is in the future.

So what's cooking?:p

Got your message tonight, I thought you wanted me to send photos before deciding? It seems like something happens that I never planed on everyday lately, I end up with self inflicted project, like I have oh so much extra time on my hands...:rolleyes:

Looks like a Technics 1200 torn apart for possibly a painting upgrade? :idea:

Looks like a Technics 1200 torn apart for possibly a painting upgrade? :idea:
Hmm, hmmmmm could be... maybe with a bit of body fill to smooth out and simplify the plinth...

So what's cooking?:p

Got your message tonight, I thought you wanted me to send photos before deciding? It seems like something happens that I never planed on everyday lately, I end up with self inflicted project, like I have oh so much extra time on my hands...:rolleyes:
Hey Dan, not at all a problem. it's actually given me some time to look into Jelco arms as well. It's a big world

Tony, maybe I can twist your arm into bringing the Chapmans with you when you come by for a visit. I've never heard a BBC monitor and I'd love to have that opportunity. Also, I'm trying to get Bonkers60 to come over, from Sycamore, when you come by. He too is interested in the AN drivers. Actually, I've decided to sell all or part of my open baffle speakers. I haven't mentioned this to Bonkers yet but I know he was interested in trying OBs at one point. If you want to bring anyone else down with you I'm fine with that. Hopefully we can make it happen sometime this year.

Great thread, read every post. Asilker, you're having a ball, and the enthusiasm in this thread makes me want to get off my butt and do some work in my own listening room.

Tony, maybe I can twist your arm into bringing the Chapmans with you when you come by for a visit. I've never heard a BBC monitor and I'd love to have that opportunity. Also, I'm trying to get Bonkers60 to come over, from Sycamore, when you come by. He too is interested in the AN drivers. Actually, I've decided to sell all or part of my open baffle speakers. I haven't mentioned this to Bonkers yet but I know he was interested in trying OBs at one point. If you want to bring anyone else down with you I'm fine with that. Hopefully we can make it happen sometime this year.
I just got through a very busy month which means my weekends are opening up again for a little while. I would happily bring the Chapman's in tow :)

Great thread, read every post. Asilker, you're having a ball, and the enthusiasm in this thread makes me want to get off my butt and do some work in my own listening room.
Thanks, James! I've got young guy fire ha

My plants were all brought in from our back porch last month. I was a little concerned that the move from and east facing outdoor setting to a west facing, colder indoor setting would be a bit too stressful, but it appears my trees are healthy and enjoying themselves. Meyer lemon is producing fruit, ficus sprouted 6 new leaves this week, and little bonsai guy has filled out enormously.
P_20161021_112309.jpg

When I adopted this tree in July, it was because it had been left behind after a staff team member moved to the east coast. After growing in a dark office for three years the bonsai had a total of 5 leaves. This was my first experience trimming a plant back with the hope of it filling in more, and it appears to be a success.

Not just stereo stuff in here. This room is definitely more of a personal sanctuary than a perfect critical listening room - not that I'm throwing the Roxul away any time soon...

My plants were all brought in from our back porch last month. I was a little concerned that the move from and east facing outdoor setting to a west facing, colder indoor setting would be a bit too stressful, but it appears my trees are healthy and enjoying themselves. Meyer lemon is producing fruit, ficus sprouted 6 new leaves this week, and little bonsai guy has filled out enormously.
View attachment 807779

When I adopted this tree in July, it was because it had been left behind after a staff team member moved to the east coast. After growing in a dark office for three years the bonsai had a total of 5 leaves. This was my first experience trimming a plant back with the hope of it filling in more, and it appears to be a success.

Not just stereo stuff in here. This room is definitely more of a personal sanctuary than a perfect critical listening room - not that I'm throwing the Roxul away any time soon...

That's awesome. Gotta love little, potted trees.

These little fellas are passing through (Monitor Audio Silver 5i):
View attachment 808048 View attachment 808049

I'm really surprised at how much I like these. I'd love to get a change to hear some of the gold models like @nyhifihead has.

Yea I love monitor audio from the era. Wish the gold series I have were the floor standing model, but they have great bass as they are in a bookshelf.

I'm pretty sure on monitor audio floorstanders from this era you can fill the cabinet with sand to stop resonations.

Worthwhile mod it will clean up the low end very well, friend of mine had a pair similar to yours, might even be the same model

Yea I love monitor audio from the era. Wish the gold series I have were the floor standing model, but they have great bass as they are in a bookshelf.

I'm pretty sure on monitor audio floorstanders from this era you can fill the cabinet with sand to stop resonations.

Worthwhile mod it will clean up the low end very well, friend of mine had a pair similar to yours, might even be the same model
These seem to be a very common model. I believe the 5i was kind of the "best seller". Since the bottom pedestals detach it seems there are a few options for sand damping. Unfortunately for these fellas, there is some steep competition that lives here. If I'm sitting in the sweet spot and pulling speakers out, it would be hard to choose the 5i over the Tektons. What they can do in precision and ergonomics, they certainly cannot in dynamics and forte rises. however they are CLEAN and precise

These seem to be a very common model. I believe the 5i was kind of the "best seller". Since the bottom pedestals detach it seems there are a few options for sand damping. Unfortunately for these fellas, there is some steep competition that lives here. If I'm sitting in the sweet spot and pulling speakers out, it would be hard to choose the 5i over the Tektons. What they can do in precision and ergonomics, they certainly cannot in dynamics and forte rises. however they are CLEAN and precise

same here, they shine in some aspects but its not the full package. I think clean and precise is a pretty good description of british speakers house sound

While cleaning out some shelf space yesterday I wrapped some Roxul up in the remaining fabric I had like a pillow. tossed it between my desk monitors because that tight little spot is a bit of a bass trap.

Wow is there a difference. every drum kit now sound totally different. much much cleaner. acoustic material is so cool.
P_20161028_111216.jpg

While cleaning out some shelf space yesterday I wrapped some Roxul up in the remaining fabric I had like a pillow. tossed it between my desk monitors because that tight little spot is a bit of a bass trap.

Wow is there a difference. every drum kit now sound totally different. much much cleaner. acoustic material is so cool.
View attachment 811424

to tighten up the low end try this tweak- place coins on the edge of all 4 corners of the bookshelves where they make contact with the desk

idea was taken from onkyo bookshelf speaker manual from old pair I had, here's a simple diagram from the manual

lC5uy0N.png

to tighten up the low end try this tweak- place coins on the edge of all 4 corners of the bookshelves where they make contact with the desk

idea was taken from onkyo bookshelf speaker manual from old pair I had, here's a simple diagram from the manual

lC5uy0N.png
Dropped some pennies under each of the eight pennies. Need to spend more time listening, but first impression says this might have cleaned up some bass smear (things are maybe more articulate). On a non-ideal surface like a desktop against a wall, I believe proper treatments begin to become even more important. Thanks for the tip man

Back
Top Bottom