Asparagus

We are fans of the spears iin our house & use the usual preperations. Steamed with lemon butter, or garlic butter. Or drizzled with olive oil and fresh cracked pepper and roasted. At the end my wife will sprinkle some parmesan over the roasted asparagus and allow to melt, good stuff.

89 cents/lb today at Kroger. The thin stalk kind, but at that price I'm not going to complain. More. I want more.

One of our cats loves asparagus. It is her favorite food.

What's perfect is that she prefers the asparagus bottoms. The people eat the tips and she eats the bottoms.

For the asparagus lovers.

"Asparagus w/ Prosciutto & Hollandaise"

13287095564_6186c23a21_c.jpg

That looks good and all, but I'd need like 12 servings. :D

I like to smoke it for about 3 hours or more. Olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder, maybe a bit of seasoned salt.

Tossed in olive oil and grilled. Finished with salt, cracked pepper and fresh lemon juice.
Or
Tossed in olive oil and roasted in a high heat oven at about 400-425 degrees. Finished as above.

I really do not care for it steamed or blanched anymore.

I used to have a pretty vigorous patch growing in my yard. The freshly picked stalks required very little cooking time and could be eaten raw. Even the big stalks were crisp tender contrary to thick and woody available in the supermarkets.

I think you have the way. This is my most favorite thing:D
Aside from the lemon juice. I've not tried that yet, but noted.

One thing to add. Take each end before cooking and bend them until they snap. They leafy end gets cooked and discard the rest.
They will get a medium gray color on the leafy end to let you know they are done.

Love Asparagus more often than not I will prepare it like my mother does. I pop the asparagus in my asparagus cooking pot, heat up a can of Campbell's Cheddar Cheese. line up the asparagus on a plate and pour the cheddar cheese sauce over them and yuma-goochie. :yes:

cheesesoup.gif

Steam about 20 of them until soft. Place in blender with a melted stick of butter, salt, pepper, and about a cup of parmesan cheese. Blend until ultra smooth. Then toss with penne pasta!

Rich! Delicious! Serve the pasta with grilled chicken breast...

So good!

I'm getting slowly drawn to the food threads...

Asparagus for me is drizzled with olive oil, a little balsamic vinegar, and pine nuts, and roasted.

Wrap the spears, 3 at a time, with a slice of bacon and saute until the bacon is done.

I wish you hadn't said that. Do you think a fella would ruin it if he drizzled some of that white Mexican cheese and topped with fresh diced tomato after it was plated?

Last edited:
I wrap them individually with bacon. Bacon wrapped potatoes are pretty damn good too.

13810252624_17902aa2f6_c.jpg

Last edited:
I wish you hadn't said that. Do you think a fella would ruin it if he drizzled some of that white Mexican cheese and topped with fresh diced tomato after it was plated?
Heck no, that sounds delicious. I'm a big advocate of creative freedom in the kitchen. :yes:

I think when this method was introduced to me, it was sprinkled with fresh grated parm immediately after removing from the pan.

I tried the pureed asparagus pasta sauce last night. Both me and Mrs. Tox thought it was fantastic! I used the bottom half of the asparagus, it's usually tough anyway. Then put the steamed tops as a garnish. I did cut down on the butter quite a bit and added some olive oil, and subbed some Mozz for some of the cheese. I think you could use a variety of cheeses here - Fontina comes to mind, even cheap Parmesan. I actually had the real stuff but I don't normally buy it at $20/lb. It was $9.99 at a new store that opened up so I got a chunk. Anyway it's a good recipe and a nice change from the usual steamed/grilled asparagus. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom