Assistance needed for Toshiba SR-230

CavScout

I recently acquired a Toshiba SR-230 turntable .

It plays nice but it won't return in it's own.
When I flick the cut switch it will return but with the tone arm lifting ( it just cuts across the record... ouch!)

I have taken in apart and lubed as required and found nothing broken.
The only thing I can think of it perhaps the main gear needs to be timed or something ?
Can't find a service manual or anything close.
I am wondering if perhaps the white sprocket shaft has the have a "pointer" in a certain spot ( see photo ).
Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 45
I recently sold a similar model, the SR-340. I can't be sure it uses the same mechanism for the arm return but it had a problem with the auto return being flakey. When it kicked in it worked fine and the arm lifted properly so there was no "ouch!" but it did not always engage and return.

If you take a look at the underside of the platter, does it have a "bump" on the central part? Mine worked itself out after a bit of a fix that I mention here:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....of-pretty-little-things.736631/#post-10185025

As for the arm lifting, or not, the auto return and the cue lever will do the same thing but are coming at it from different directions. You should see if the arm lifter height can be adjusted. There could be a little screw behind the crescent shaped cue platform, or a set screw on the side of it. The top mounted screw might be screwed down too far, so back it up some or loosen the other screw side type one (it could be a mini allen head if there) and raise the platform a titch. The lifter might just be stiff and won't raise readily so a tiny drop of oil and exercising it a bit might work out the stiffness.

Last edited:
Re-posting this old one as I'm having the exact same problem with the same model TT.
I've tried adjusting the tone arm cue rest up, but when it is high enough to auto return without scraping across the vinyl, it is then set too high to drop the needle all the way down to the record at the outset.
It appears that the long flat brass piece on the underside, running from the return trigger to the cue mechanism isn't pushing the cue high enough on auto return.
The cue lever alone seems to work fine, but not on auto-return.
Any ideas?

I encountered the same problem with my SR-230. That long brass piece is the key--it lifts the tonearm up during half of the cycle. I ended up removing the one screw that held it in place, and with it out of the table bent the end tab up just a bit to push the tonearm up enough to clear the record on its return (it didn't take much.) Seems a bit crude, but it worked. Simple mechanics. (While it was out I cleaned the track on the wheel through the hole and re-lubed it.)

The auto return issue and play / cut issue was the result of the verticle portion metal tab on the 2 metal sliders atop the main black cam wheel being bent out of adjustment and not engaging with the small finger like protrusion on the white gear pressed on to the spindle. Gently beding it to vertical allowed the spindle finger enough purchase on the tab to start the return sequence.

Took about 30 mins to determine this was the fault. Now it works perfectly.

The cause of the bent metal tab was easy to determine. If the meatal cue and return plates are not reset inward the platter belt rim can hit them and bend them out of adjustment when reinstalling the platter.

The customer had just installed a new cart and belt when the issue started.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom