AT 71e wow

Flammaster

DrumCorpsZappaFreak
right now I am listening to my Marantz 6100 through the Audio Technica 71e that came with it on the stock headshell.

I set this cart aside in search of the ultimate cartridge and forgot just how nice this cheap little thing sounds!

I think it's a pretty good budget choice especially for typical Japanese S-arms - and for my taste it doesn't look as lost on comparatively big headshells as the AT95E does. Another plus: The cantilever assembly is screw fixed in the plastic holder just like on the higher ranking AT MMs, while its just bolted on the ATN95E. But unfortunately there don't seem to be any 3rd party upgrade needles with more sophisticated tip shapes for the AT70 family bodies yet...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

s-l400 (2).jpg s-l400 (1).jpg

Cool, I have a Stanton 500 as well, and I just purchased a slightly used AT71 MiJ Cart with a new Dreher and Kauf AT70 stylus made in Germany. It also came with the headshell, and shipped for just $35.00 bucks. I couldn't refuse. Can't wait to try her out. Thought this was a good deal.

Last edited:
But unfortunately there don't seem to be any 3rd party upgrade needles with more sophisticated tip shapes for the AT70 family bodies yet..
As the body is discontinued, it doesn't seem likely that better tips will ever be made available, unfortunately.

rp: Certainly not made available by AT (unless they'd make a reissue of the AT70 family - which would seem unlikely anyway, and even then I don't think AT would offer anything better than 0.3 x 0.7 mil, bonded...) - but Jico, LPGear or Turntableneedles for example could very well notice, that offering an upgrade needle for the AT70 family bodies could be a good idea.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

...or one could have it retipped with a better cantilever and stylus. I think these old bodies were better built, but I wonder if they'd be worth the cost of a custom made needle?

Back
Top Bottom