AT-CW1?

Between the MLa & MLb, the (a) has a bit more smoother sound, (b) a bit more forward sounding. If I have to choose, I would get the (a). The 440 is forward sounding as it is!

Thanks; any experience with or knowledge about the replacement model, as I was talking to ben about?

Thanks; any experience with or knowledge about the replacement model, as I was talking to ben about?

The AT-440MLb has been replaced with the VM540ML. This new cartridge has a higher tracking force of 1.8-2.2 grams. The 440MLa and (b) tracked 1-1.8 grams. The VM540ML still has the same compliance as the other cartridges. The frequency response for the VM540ML is wider 20-27,000Hz, separation just up one to 28dB. Inner DC Resistance & Coil Impedance changed with the new VM540ML too.

The AT-440MLb has been replaced with the VM540ML. This new cartridge has a higher tracking force of 1.8-2.2 grams. The 440MLa and (b) tracked 1-1.8 grams. The VM540ML still has the same compliance as the other cartridges. The frequency response for the VM540ML is wider 20-27,000Hz, separation just up one to 28dB. Inner DC Resistance & Coil Impedance changed with the new VM540ML too.

Thank you my friend; would any of this fare positively or negatively with regard to the stylus profile's ability to track those inner grooves with little or no distortion (which is my primary goal)?

Thank you my friend; would any of this fare positively or negatively with regard to the stylus profile's ability to track those inner grooves with little or no distortion (which is my primary goal)?
The new VM cartridge still has a microline stylus, so it should kill IGD with ease.

Audio-Technica's microline stylus tracks the inner grooves with precision! If you hear any, it's from the previous owner having a crappy cartridge & worn stylus. You won't hear a difference from the beginning of the record to the end with the microline stylus! In fact, most cartridges with an elliptical stylus of .2x.7 won't give you inner groove distortion! The Shure M97xE tracks with ease those inner grooves too! Both of these track like radar! My Empire 2000Z with the .2x.7 stylus tip tracks like radar and has no inner groove distortion at all when tracking at 1 gram!

Audio-Technica's microline stylus tracks the inner grooves with precision! If you hear any, it's from the previous owner having a crappy cartridge & worn stylus. You won't hear a difference from the beginning of the record to the end with the microline stylus! In fact, most cartridges with an elliptical stylus of .2x.7 won't give you inner groove distortion! The Shure M97xE tracks with ease those inner grooves too! Both of these track like radar! My Empire 2000Z with the .2x.7 stylus tip tracks like radar and has no inner groove distortion at all when tracking at 1 gram!

Thank you.

Old thread, but have a question about the weight of the different counterweights... I was looking for ways to improve an AT-LP120-USB, but don't know a ton about turntables. From a little searching I find the original CW is supposedly 124g while the 'heavy' CW1 is 136g. Instead of buying the heavier CW1 (if you can find it), would it effectively be the same by just adding around 12g to the original CW?? Maybe 10 or so grams of wire wrapped around the lighter, original CW?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom