[AT-LP120-USB] Having a problem with skipping at the end/start of each song.

MannyC

Hello, all! Noob here.

I've been beating my head against the wall with this one. I just purchased an AT-LP120-USB and so far it's been great, except for the fact that the audio cuts out/skips at the start/end of each song.

I've watched and read many tutorials about on setting up the tracking force and anti-skating (admittedly, it probably needs more fine tuning due to my inexperience) but for the life of me I can't find anyone with the same problem, and endless Google searches yielded no answers. I have tried just barely touching the headshell with my fingertip and it seems to fix the problem; adding more tracking force only makes it sound worse and doesn't really seem to fix it.

Everything is stock; I have the tracking force set to 2.0g as per the manual, and set the anti-skating to the same or less. Checked that the turntable is level. The three different records I've tried have all been brand new.

Thanks for the help in advance! Hopefully I didn't miss anything...

I'm confused - does it physically skip like in groove jump, or is it just cutting out?

As always, please get away from the internal phono amp as quickly as you can. It is barely marginal at best. If it is a problem cutting out, I suggest an ART Phono Pre. It will work well with this table and is a quantum jump in sound quality over the internal amp.

It's the internal amp I'm using. Everything plays fine until the quiet portions between songs and then it starts cutting out or jumping. If I put a tiny bit of pressure on the headshell, it plays fine.

If you balance the tonearm (zero it), does it stay in one place or swing to the spindle or the platter edge?

Do you have a tracking force gauge?

Have you tried a different stylus?

If I have it close to the spindle, the tonearm stays in one place. If I let if float further away (maybe 3 inches away from the spindle) it does start to swing slowly towards the platter's edge.

I don't currently have a tracking force gauge. I will invest in one ASAP.

I did order the Shure m97xe(planned to upgrade anyway), but I haven't tested another stylus at this point.

EDIT: Just checked it again, it will pull slightly towards the spindle in certain spots.

Last edited:
If I have it close to the spindle, the tonearm stays in one place. If I let if float further away (maybe 3 inches away from the spindle) it does start to swing slowly towards the platter's edge.

I don't currently have a tracking force gauge. I will invest in one ASAP.

I did order the Shure m97xe(planned to upgrade anyway), but I haven't tested another stylus at this point.

EDIT: Just checked it again, it will pull slightly towards the spindle in certain spots.

Recommend not playing records until the tracking force is verified.

Something is wrong with the tonearm; arm wires binding, bearings mucked up, antiskate mechanism is malfunctioning, etc.

Or....

Recommend not playing records until the tracking force is verified.

Something is wrong with the tonearm; arm wires binding, bearings mucked up, antiskate mechanism is malfunctioning, etc.

Just not set right...WAIT till you get a force gauge

OK, you did balance the tone arm, right? That is with the cartridge mounted and all, you backed off the counterweight until the arm floats level (we not worried about swing, yet) just off the rest. Then without moving/rotating the counterweight, you turned the dial to zero? Now you screw the counterweight in towards the gymbal until it reads 1.5 ~ 2.0 or so.

Now try the record.

The arm wires are rather big on this table so they tend to slightly overpower the anti-skate. As long as you can get it to mostly float still (side to side) in the middle of the paying area, it's about as good as it gets for anti-skate on this table.

Yep, exactly how I balanced it. I got it to as close to level as I could possibly get, anyway. When I was finished, the needle did float just above the slipmat. It will stay put within a certain area, but it will tend to one side or the other depending on where I leave it.

I would have just returned the turntable for a replacement rather than ordering a gauge you shouldn't need.

Really ?

I would have just returned the turntable for a replacement rather than ordering a gauge you shouldn't need.

Because you are sure you know the problem ? I asked him how it is wired / what type of amp just to be sure it is not in something that tries to detect a signal source...I also walked him through (via PM) STEP BY STEP..setting up the table with what's available...PRE TOOLS...

I don't think you would have returned the table...because you would not have bought the table.

Lets try to be more HELPFUL around here and less shoot from the hip.

I don't think you would have returned the table...because you would not have bought the table.

Uh, you know that I own one, i've mentioned that half a dozen times. Didn't you send me a message saying you had me in your ignore list? I liked it better when you didn't respond to my posts. I gave my advice, you gave yours.

Good point

Uh, you know that I own one, i've mentioned that half a dozen times. Didn't you send me a message saying you had me in your ignore list? I liked it better when you didn't respond to my posts. I gave my advice, you gave yours.

Noted...I forgot so sorry I broke the treaty :yes:

I apologize. :yes:

I appreciate everyone's advice very much!

The gauge should be here tomorrow, and I'll at least verify that I'm balancing properly or not. Honestly, I feel like I'm doing everything right, but like I said, I am a vinyl noob! :)

I did get the Shure stylus and that didn't make a difference, but it sure does sound clear during the song. Worse comes to worse: I return the table Amazon and give something else a try, I guess.

Starting to wonder if it's not the tonearm...

Wow... I was thinking probably a bad stylus and now the Shure does the same thing. There probably is some problem with the tonearm. I wouldn't necessarily give up on the AT table. You probably just ended up with a defective one or one that was damaged during shipping. Amazon has very good return policies and they usually pay for return shipping of defective merchandise. You could try another...

The gauge should be here tomorrow, and I'll at least verify that I'm balancing properly or not. Honestly, I feel like I'm doing everything right, but like I said, I am a vinyl noob! :)

I am sure you are doing fine. A gauge will allow you to be more accurate but I have doubts it will solve your issue, which sounds like a quality control problem with some component, likely the tonearm.

I would reccomend verifying you are still within the return window of wherever you purchased the turntable from.

Back
Top Bottom