At what point is it enough?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by jameswei, Apr 15, 2017.

1. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

This is spot on. I would rather have one or two good to great pieces rather than a bunch of mediocre ones.

stish likes this.
  2. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Super Member

People are selling things online.....

Hobie1dog likes this.
  3. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Been there, done that KingBubba. Nearly the same exact story, except after popping a fuse, I replaced with a LARGER fuse on my CHERRY-MINT 1250. It got tossed in a dump (not by me, but by the friend I gave it to, with the stipulation he get it fixed).

4. hjames

hjames Nabbed ... Subscriber

You have to learn to smile and play the music more!
    The equipment is servant to the music ...
    if you forget about the music, it becomes pointless!

stish and Hobie1dog like this.
  5. Grav

Grav New Member

Seems to me the solution is to become a trader. When you trade one piece for another there's no net gain of stuff. And I think the thrill of the chase and conquest may even be better.

6. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

Depends on what "it" you've set as a goal. I've never completely achieved "it" here, but I'm getting close, and I'm sure "it" will be obvious when I get there ...

ohmmmmmmmmmm ...

7. pfcs49

pfcs49 Phil Subscriber

Hey, James!
    Good to hear that you're still OK. If you get back to NJ, be sure to check in again.
    Otherwise, do the best to love yourself and have a great life!
    Your nutty buddy, Phil

8. sheltie dave

sheltie dave Addicted Member

If you are at the point where you need to ask the question, then you are past the point where you need to modify/stop your behavior.

stish likes this.
  9. jameswei

jameswei Super Member

Phil, nice to hear from you too, my RA condition is under control and I think the warmer weather here helps too. If I am in the N.J. area I will definitely stop by.

10. jameswei

jameswei Super Member

Heather, I am listening to music at least 3 hours a day so I am good in that department.

11. hjames

hjames Nabbed ... Subscriber

Understood - but - there is that point where you worry more about upgrading gear ...
    Believe me, I do get there too, but try to avoid following Craigslist and ebay and all those other places ...

stish likes this.
  12. jameswei

jameswei Super Member

Yes, I am putting a stop to that now, because I am not trading and selling any more. I gotta change my mentality, its not like in the States where deals are every where, here there's no deals just hidden traps. I think I learn my lesson now.

4-2-7 likes this.
  13. Audiotfoot

Audiotfoot Member

Perhaps it wasn't as much the equipment as the thought that he had destroyed it. I empathize with him.

A GE boom box my wife gave me for Christmas, at a time in our life when that was a huge expense to us, quit. The tape deck died, I removed it to see what went wrong, and then repaired the boom box until it made a loud pop and went completely dead when powered up. It wasn't the boom box that bothered me as much as the fact that my ham-handedness had destroyed it.

14. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 just give me some truth

James, keep reporting here, honestly. The gear thing was getting out of hand for you, but to your enormous credit you realized it and brought it to us here. Keep using us for support.

When activities become obsessive habits, they crowd out other activities that could offer you better life satisfaction. Think about what you are missing in your life, and work on gaining back what you may have lost--or missed on the way.

15. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

My want list is now down to two pages ... granted, it's pretty small print. Truth be told, it's more a lack of space now that keeps my buying more or less under control. <G>

16. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Super Member

I wish, like severely !

I'm all messed up and wish I could get my hands dirty. Everything is history for me. I'm not even gonna act like I'm still in it. This is my only connect to the hobby except for doing little mods on my setup and I thank everyone for what I've learned !

17. HTWillie

HTWillie Well-Known Member

I can invoke the option to "fail" in my journey toward self-betterment. That's part of the game!

I'm pretty good at resisting cheap stuff at this point.

The Luxman and Sansui I could probably pass up without a second thought. Harbeth... I'd spend a minute thumbing my phone for more info with my other hand holding a speaker under my arm.

18. just dave

just dave vintage rules!

Really,even Luxman!

19. Mister Pig

Mister Pig Pigamus Maximus Subscriber

Heck I would buy it to flip it so I could work towards something decent.....

Regards
    Mister Pig

Ds2000 likes this.
  20. just dave

just dave vintage rules!

So now Luxman isn't considered decent? Wow:wtf: