At what point is it enough?

My weakness is that I love to hear different systems and compare how they sound. When I worked in Manhattan I could walk into great stores like Harvey Sound and Leonards or the AR listening booth in Grand Central Station and just have a ball. I also bought lots of gear!

After I retired and moved into the country, the beaches were beautiful but the stores were gone. My retirement income is nice but not at the level I pulled in while working, so my purchases are more thoughtful. I have a major birthday coming up at the end of the year and I am thinking about getting just one more item, but I don't know what! :dunno:

Stepup the ladder and buy better components. The sound will be much more satisfying, the components not so readily available and you will have to save your money. And remember you need to save a dollar for every dollar you spend on toys for some day you will want to retire and keep your precious toys and not have to sell them.

What if they were a pair of Harbeth bookshelf speakers or a Luxman cdp or A killer Sansui receiver?
I went to pick up a Yamaha receiver RX-V275 for my brother the other day. Well while I'm talking to guy and decided to buy it for 50.00 he tells me to hold on while he gets another receiver I might be interested in. OMG the guy comes out with a pioneer SX-1080 and tells me I can have it for 75.00 but one channel is out. I have it now in the repair shop getting fixed. He also wanted to sell me bose 901s for 100.00 but they all had to be RE-foam.

I found recently the prices that the 1250 and the 1280 are selling for. I was stunned. Both of mine were rehabbed by CDfixer before he died. I'll hold them until I croak. I have 3 systems that each use 2 receivers and I keep enough other receivers to replace any of my systems, if they run into trouble. I also have an Onkyo 4500, an Onkyo 4500 MkII and a Sansui 7500 that needs repair. That is the extent of my vintage. When the new mini amps by Douk came up, I went through a short addiction and bought 3 of them. They would be okay for a backup. I use one in the bathroom system. I have bought nothing for quite some time, but I am not without other addictions. I recently purchased a 30-06 Browning BAR MkIII. When I bought it I had no idea what kind of prices ammo was going for. I am stunned. I also did not realize that the Browning had no built-in iron sights; so now I have to go through a purchasing spree buying all the stuff required to mount a scope. The one box of ammo that I bought cost $60 for 20 :eek2: shots. I would have been better off if I had bought a .22 magnum that I have been looking at. Maybe I'll buy it too. :D

I realized I was finally done acquiring gear the other day when I passed on a free pair of AR2's. I don't need them, I'm sure they may sound better than something I may have in a spare room or bedroom system but I'm done. I'm happy with what I have.

Back
Top Bottom